Change color of TEXT on Illuminated door sills.

CinnamonEdge

I knew that would get someone's attention. So If you pull out the sill and look at he bottom black cable. You'll notice that its a pretty simple set up. That cable is a fiber optic bundle with a LED on the end. So just pull the white LED out and install the color of your choice. I would recommend a RBG LED then you can make it pretty much any color you would like and you can match the colors of the ambient lighting system. I'm going to match mine to the dashboard colors when I get a chance.

• Like 1

I made a video to show how simple changing the color of the illuminated Edge Logo on the scuff plate. Before you see the video I want to apologize for the horrible lighting but I was filming alone and needed to dim the lights to show the logo. Here ya go. Hopefully this helps other Edge and Ford owners that want to change the color. In this video I used a blue LED with a resistor already attached for 12volts. http://vid195.photobucket.com/albums/z66/ajc6882/20141206_183908_zpsxiv9pyge.mp4

Edited by CinnamonEdge
  • Like 1

Did you get yours from a dealer, or off the classified section?

I was interested in these at one time and may consider them again. I recall there was some confusion from what I read at the time about what color wires to tap into, and where they actually were. I think somewhere along the line, Ford changed the wire color and or the location?

I have a 2013 Edge which should be similar to your set up.

One last question, I recall also that once these were installed, it was almost impossible, if not impossible, to remove them without breaking off a tab or something. Is this true if yours were used?

Mine were used. I just bought them off the classified section. They were fine and not broken. The passenger side was a little easier to remove. On the driverside I removed the sill by pulling up on the sill near the seat to release one clip. Then I used a small flat bar to wedge between the rubberweather striping and the sill and pry up on it. Because the clips are attached to the weatherstriping and the wire bundle. They wont break if you know where to pry. Also I used the solid purple wire which is located under both the sills. The purple wires were on the top of each bundles so it was really easy to find that is the (+) wire. I grounded the LED (-) wire to a ground screw located at the front of the sill where the sill meets the dash. very easy install. It took me 25 minutes.

I know I replied to this post early this morning, but don't see it. Strange!

Again, thanks for the additional info. The wiring you found should be the same as mine. I also have the medium-light stone, so I too couldn't find the correct color sill I needed when I was looking.

I will start looking again and see what I find. I do recall many of the used ones had broken clips, I guess they were just ripped out of the car instead on someone taking the time to do it correctly.

I think you would be able to remove the illuminated part and install it on the sills that you have. I compared my standard stainless sills vs the illuminated ones and the part number molded into the plastic was the same. There are small metal tabs(part of the exposed stainless) that protrude through the plastic sill and are bent over to hold the stainless in place. Gently bending them straight and pushing the piece out should make it an easy swap.

I knew that would get someone's attention. So If you pull out the sill and look at he bottom black cable. You'll notice that its a pretty simple set up. That cable is a fiber optic bundle with a LED on the end. So just pull the white LED out and install the color of your choice. I would recommend a RBG LED then you can make it pretty much any color you would like and you can match the colors of the ambient lighting system. I'm going to match mine to the dashboard colors when I get a chance.

Where did you purchase the replacement LED from? Think you said it was a 3mm size in your video. Thanks

I found a bunch of blue LEDs in my electrical tool box from a ambient lighting project 10 years ago in my Mitsubishi 3000gt. I was going to buy them online but you can get them faster if you go to radio shack. I've bought them there in the past but they charge a lot more money and I think you'll need to purchase the resistors separately to make them work appropriate for the 12volt system. Good Luck.

• 6 years later...
On 12/1/2014 at 11:11 PM, CinnamonEdge said:

So I know this post is very old but do you have any pics of more info regarding these lighted sill plates.  I found a set and started to install them in my 2011 Edge and I can not find where to plug the fiber optic in.  I see no fiber optic leading to an LED anywhere.  I see some others in this thread talking about taping into some power wires but my plates have no electrical wires attached to them.  They a were bought as NOS.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you