New Sync 3 Info!

I doubt that they will offer this to older models as an upgrade since this looks to be a whole new operating system. Not to mention there might be hardware upgrades/changes necessary. EVEN if they do, they'll probably require you to bring the car to the dealer for the upgrade.

Think about it like taking your home computer and changing from Windows to Linux....

Because the R.I.M. (Blackberry) software works so well. Lol

I wish Apple would have developed something for Ford.

Also, who owns the name SYNC? Microsoft? Since it says SYNC by Microsoft

QNX is not the same thing as Blackberry, they just happen to be owned by Blackberry.

Ford owns the Sync brand name.

• Like 1

Just found some more info... http://www.cnet.com/news/ford-sync-3-announced/

Doesn't look good though

95 percent of all Fords sold in the US this year had a Sync system of some sort onboard, and more than 10 million Sync-equipped cars have been sold.

None of them, sadly, will be able to run the new version of Sync, which will debut in 2015 on 2016 model year cars.

My source said the software would be backwards compatible with MFT. I think the article is referring to sync only vehicles not being compatible which makes sense.

And every sync and MFT update so far has been free.

Obviously there is new hardware.

I like the wifi auto updates and the new more traditional menu will help public perception a lot. I think the unconventional quadrant menu led to a lot of the confusion even though to me it was intuitive.

The dimensions and harnesses must be the same, because Ford's plan is to roll the Sync 3 in "on the fly". In fact most models will be built with Sync 3 for North America and Sync 2 for export at the same time, since the language settings for the export markets won't be ready at first. The one thing that is different is that Sync 3 uses a more conventional GPS antenna, not the GPSM module that Gen 2 uses.

I guess the chances of my system ever working like they said it would are just about 0% now. And to the poster above about the dealer doing free software updates with extended APIM warranty...bogus. Just had mine in again recently because on occasion the rear cam would be upside down or say unavail...dealer told me they would charge $100 to diagnose and software update was not included. Took it home and installed the update myself and it "fixed" the issue. But I think the service on these older units will be even less in the future now that they will be leaping to the next platform.

While I think the new hardware specs and platform look promising I am very concerned Ford is back to where they were when they released MFT. All the articles I have read mention a multitude of features they will be adding in the future...sounds earily familiar to what we have all been promised.

Thank you for the information, @Waldo... I will definitely be keeping an eye on the market for Sync3 unit that gets parted out. I guess whats the worst that can happen, shell out $500-$600 and if doesn't work throw it on eBay.

Not sure if they will get parted out...thought I read in one article something about the system controlling the HVAC. Not sure if that means it just has redundant controls on the touchscreen or if that means the redundant hard buttons are routed to the unit to control the system. If it is the later the only part outs you'll find will be wrecked vehicles.

While I think the new hardware specs and platform look promising I am very concerned Ford is back to where they were when they released MFT. All the articles I have read mention a multitude of features they will be adding in the future...sounds earily familiar to what we have all been promised.

Where does it mention future functionality? I thought all the features mentioned were day 1?

I got the impression current owners wouldn't get the update when I read the first poster's article, specially the mention of a "faster OMAP 5 1.7GHz processor".

Question for Rebecca FordIVTteam: My lease is coming to its end in May 2015. Will the 2015 Edge I will buy then come with Sync 3 ?

Edited by cv27

Where does it mention future functionality? I thought all the features mentioned were day 1?

Several of the articles discuss carplay and android auto...if you go to either official site it will say Ford is going to be supported but I suspect this will be up to Ford to integrate it. Since the new system does have more power maybe they can support all of this, but at this point I wouldn't trust Ford unless I saw it working. I was told a bunch of things would be brought to MFT that never materialized.

Seems odd they made this press release now when CES is so close. I was thinking about stopping by their booth this year if I make it, would be interesting to take a look at this first hand.

So IIRC Waldo --on many occasions -has said there would be a version for mft....

I guess he was wrong?????

3.6 is where most of us are & the new software update reference is STILL a bunch PR nonsense since new update was way back on 8/13 -NOT NEW & the 3.7 is still not making sense on who gets & why

and over the years the features that are broken- stay broken & the take away features remain lost

USB counter to nowhere -never fixed

direct input of gps Lat/Long -removed

phone contacts address being sent to nav as a destination- broken & never fixed

wifi password limited new problem not fixed

wifi hotspot with no supported dongles- never fixed

oh wait - don't fix sync, don't fix mft, role out the fixes on sync 3

lets not forget the price rape of $199 for Lincoln NOT the $60 for ford if you want sync services- really $200 just so we can send destinations to the nav since the in car keyboard interface is problematic?

and the reboot in background that sends the LED lights back to white even when still checked on a color

I got the impression current owners wouldn't get the update when I read the first poster's article, specially the mention of a "faster OMAP 5 1.7GHz processor".

Question for Rebecca FordIVTteam: My lease is coming to its end in May 2015. Will the 2015 Edge I will buy then come with Sync 3 ?

That's a great question, cv27! Unfortunately, I'm unable to speculate, but more information will be released when we announce our 2016 MY product info. Stay tuned...

Rebecca