Hazard "Touch" Button Only Works Sometime

We have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited, the overly sensitive Hazard "Touch" button only works when it wants to. We initially thought maybe a fuse was blown but one day the hazard button started working again out of the blue. It worked for a time being and then stopped working. This went on for some time and then one day it started working again. The following day I tried it again, I was able to activate the 4-way hazards but then I couldn't turn them off. As I was driving to my destination I kept trying the button and finally I was able to get the hazards to shut off. We haven't only tried the button twice since then (about a month or so) and we were able to get it to turn on/off. Today we tried it and again it's no longer working.

Anyone have this issue? What was the fix besides bringing the vehicle to the dealership and spending tons of money to get it fixed?

We don't use the hazards often at all but if we do need to use them they don't work. We also noticed that we haven't accidentally turned them on when trying to change the radio stations as we were doing. Also we live in New Hampshire and vehicles need to be inspected and the hazards are part of the inspection check

The button feels fine mechanically though, right, not sticking or anything? I'd check all the turn signal bulbs to make sure they work consistently, and for codes (any major auto parts store should be able to do that free) that might give some clues.

Now and then, pulling the negative battery cable and leaving it off for some time does wonders. Of course, then you have to allow time for the PCM to relearn your driving behavior and reset emissions readiness status (is that part of your inspection check?). If that does not work, the BCM may need to be reset or replaced.

The Hazard button isn't your traditional hazard button that you push in to activate, it's more of a very touch sensitive button. You basically just put your finger on it to activate. All of the turn signals work it's just this button will not activate the 4-ways. I'll try the negative terminal idea, we are having other issues with our Sirius radio and the preset labels not filling in from time to time and now are not hearing any audio from the Sirius radio and are getting "Channel unsubscribed call.......ESN: 1234567890" Sirius states that it's an issue with my radio.

The electronics in these cars are so sensitive to voltage irregularities. Sometimes a minor sag or surge in voltage can make things go haywire. Perhaps it's time to have the battery and charging system checked? I would also examine the connector on the back of the switch and make sure it's snug too.

As for my two cents on the hazard switch, I use it when I'm coming up fast (while braking) on a column of stopped or slowed traffic. I learned this technique from my driving instructor in Holland back in the '80s, where it's common practice (in Holland) to alert drivers behind you of abrupt changes in speed/traffic pattern. Seems to work here for me as well. Some folks are really poor judges of their speed in relation to others. The hazard lights help them to notice a sudden change in driving/traffic conditions. After they match speed behind me, I switch them off. The placement and size of the hazard switch seems to lend itself to this use also. I remember that it used to be a little knob you pulled out of the steering column on cars in the '70s, a button you pushed in on top of the steering column in the '80s, and in the '90s the button became larger and placed in the center console where even a passenger could activate it, etc.

The challenge these days is to compete for driver attention on the roads. Driving while distracted by your phone, texting, touch screens (big mistake), GPS, etc. not even considering the folks that purposefully defeat the safeties that prevent you from watching movies on your display requires too much attention from drivers. Too much trust is put in the driver coming up fast in your rear view mirror, and you can't see his brake lights to know if he sees you. If I come up behind you with my hazards on, you already know that I've noticed your abrupt change in speed and compensating for it. Let's hope the driver behind us is compensating too.

My apologies for kidnapping this post!

Well I have a bit of an update, I took the advice from WWWPerfA_ZNOW and pulled the negative battery terminal, I let the vehicle sit without power for 30 seconds and plugged it back in. This did resolve my Sirius Radio issue and for a moment resolved the Hazard Button issue. I kept trying the hazards on/off, on/off, on/off and wouldn't you know it? I found a hidden command which alerted me to "Train Left Front Tire". Not sure what that's all about. Anyway the hazards were finally working for about 10 minutes and now once again I cannot get them to work.

W

I think this issue was raised in another post a year or so back. I have the same issue on my 2011 Limited, very annoying.

And as Autom8r mentioned, I too use the hazards to alert drivers of a dangerous situation (hard braking or whatever). My personal opinion is the ridge on the triangle reduces the contact surface, so it's a hit and miss every time for me.

The hazard switch with the capacitive button has a press and hold requirement, you have to hold it for a certain amount of time or it won't activate. This was done to prevent the inadvertent activation that was happening a lot.

Make sure you're holding the button for at least 2 seconds.

I just picked up my wife at the hospital and had to double park. Security asked me to put my flashers on in my 2013 fusion and I couldn't find the button! Back to the OM.

Duh - I found it. Can't believe I didn't see it.

And btw - the owner's manual doesn't tell you where it is.

Probably because only an idiot couldn't find it.

In all this hubbub, hope your wife is OK?

Doing fine, thanks. Routine operation but a lengthy recovery period. Of course it doesn't help that she's still wearing a walking cast after having achilles tendon surgery 6 weeks ago. She'll get the cast off Christmas Eve but will need to wear a boot for a few weeks. The worst is behind her and should be downhill from here though. Thank goodness we can both work from home.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...