Has anyone noticed their MPG getting WORSE???

818EDGE

Over our last road trip for Xmas, we were lucky to squeeze out 19.4 MPG for about 900miles. We used to get 24-26 over the same route a few different times over the last year. Has anyone else noticed this? :wacko:

Hi 818EDGE. :D This has been discussed in numerous posts. So many in fact, it would make your head spin.

There are many reasons that your MPG's will drop this time of year.:

1 - Winter gasoline formulations, mandated by the EPA. The formulations are "Oxygenated". You get lower MPG.

2 - Cold weather temperatures. Cold temperatures mean higher fuel consumption. You get lower MPG

3 - Cold weather temperatures. Cars take longer to reach operating temperature. Therefore run "richer" for a longer period of time before reaching regular operating temperatures. You get lower MPG.

4 - If you leave your HVAC system on "AUTO', or have the front windshield defroster on, your A/C compressor is running to dehumidify the warm air. It is the equivalent of leaving your Air Conditioning on all the time in the summer. You get lower MPG.

5 - When is the last time you checked your tire pressure (with a good tire pressure gauge)? For every 10*F drop in air temperature, you lose about 1.5psi. So if you last checked your tire pressure when it was 65*F, and it is now 25*F, your tire pressure is at least 6psi low. And that is only from temperature loss, and does not include other pressure losses. Low tire pressure means, you guessed it, lower MPG (and is downright dangerous also).

These are only 5 reasons. There are others. Everybodys MPG drops in the winter time.

You cannot beat the laws of physics!

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

well bbf nailed just about everything I could think of :)

Did you go back and check the mileage based on the odo and how much gas it took or used the dash meter?

Yeah, I guess it doesn't help having the entire car packed with luggage, presents and all of our babies stuff. LOTS of extra weight.

• 6 months later...
Yup Mine sucks, My advice sell IT!!! I bought mine in Feb 08, Sold in July 08. They all say it needs to break in! Yeah right.. Its just the stadard line to get you to delay you from doing anything. It sucks plain and simple.. Get a fusion ditch the edge. Or just get something else. You'll take a $10,000 hit. Complain to dealer and customer support does very little. Mine got 20 miles per gallon at the very best. I think I did get 30 miles / gallon once, just like the sticker said, but that was goin down a very steep hill. I'm so pissed off with FORD right now.

keep in mind fuel for me is about $1.35 / litre. what is goin to happen to that price in 3 years? and still paying for this gas goblin? So I got rid of mine. The vehicle will turn people off FORD. Ford does not get it, I'm happy they lost 6.7 billion this quater. Mileage is top now days not horse power.

The edge was nice, but milieage will kill this vehicle, keep in mind most people that say its good, don't check or what are they comparing it too? My 3/4 ton ford diesel is better on fuel than any ford edge, and at double the size, thats sad.

Stay close to the GAS STATION WITH THIS CAR!!! Mine had 20,000kms on it, break in is a load of crap. Just a way to delay your anger!

20miles/gallon is the BEST it will ever do period. 16-18 Highway...

If you're getting less than the EPA estimates now then you'll get less than the EPA estimates on anything you buy. And anyone who owns a duratec V6 engine can tell you it does get better FE after 3k-5k miles - there is no question about that.

Selling a car after 6 months is stupid if your goal is to save money. Even if you saved $30/week in fuel it would take you 6.5 years to make up for a $10K depreciation loss.

No Its not stupid... Traded it off for a new car, EVEN STEVEN!! and instead of burning $1500 / month on gas, I'm down to $1100.. How is this stupid? $400 x 12 = $4800 in a year.. Stupid? Its smart. You go ahead and guzzle the gas. CHeat on your mileage calculations to make yourself feel better.

Trading a $30K car for a $20K car is NOT "even steven". And if you were really driving enough to spend $1500 on gas every month you wouldn't have time to post here. At 15 mpg and $5/gallon that's almost 5000 miles per month or 60K miles per year. And you think I'm cheating on my mileage calculations?

"Mine got 20 miles per gallon at the very best. I think I did get 30 miles / gallon once, just like the sticker said, but that was goin down a very steep hill."

"20miles/gallon is the BEST it will ever do period. 16-18 Highway..."

Make up your mind.. Try the section in the manual on "HOW TO RELEASE PARKING BRAKE" :finger:

You are so mad at Ford that you went and got another one.......

"And I don't havce to hit every gas station!------- except to re-pack your bong! :wacko:

See you just cant get the fact some people drive their vechiles can you? We were filling up just about every day. So its not $30/ week. I traded for a brand new car same payment schedule. Same payment. EVEN like I said. Not sure why you can't figure out what even is.. Heres example. $30,000 equals $30,000.

I now have a vehicle with fresh warranty, 0 miles start again, but did drop in size, but mileage much better. The bleeding was the fuel consumption, by stopping that, I'm now saving money every time I fill up. My payment end date OR payment has not changed. Some day you will understand. Like when you buy a house or something. Simple math really.

For some the cost to buy a vehicle was ALWAYS more than the operating cost. Now the operating cost for many is much more than the cost of the vehicle.

Good for you...ignorance is bliss. Now that you're happy, why don't you go away?

Hey dude, sorry bout all the complaints. I kicked yer old lady outta the EDGE I gained 8 MPG!!!

Wow!! You are brutal. You win!!! How did you possibly come up with something so original? We must all find some way to move on with our horrible vehicles. Glad to know you will be so happy on the other Ford forums.

• 1 month later...
If you're getting less than the EPA estimates now then you'll get less than the EPA estimates on anything you buy. And anyone who owns a duratec V6 engine can tell you it does get better FE after 3k-5k miles - there is no question about that.

Selling a car after 6 months is stupid if your goal is to save money. Even if you saved $30/week in fuel it would take you 6.5 years to make up for a $10K depreciation loss.

I have noticed my gas mileage around town averaging 12 miles to the gallon which sucks since I bought it to replace an Expedition that was averageing around 10. I hadn't heard this about the Duratec V6 engine. I now have 2600 miles so do you think will improve with 3,000 to 5,000. At least it would be something to look forward to.

I have noticed my gas mileage around town averaging 12 miles to the gallon which sucks since I bought it to replace an Expedition that was averageing around 10. I hadn't heard this about the Duratec V6 engine. I now have 2600 miles so do you think will improve with 3,000 to 5,000. At least it would be something to look forward to.

Hi Cindy. :D Yes. Conventional wisdom is that the Duratec 3.5L engine can take up 5,000 miles (or more) to fully break-in.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Also understand that fuel mileage will vary with the time of year due to temperature and local gasoline blends. Anything with 10% ethanol will cost you 1-2 mpg typically as do the other winter blends.

Hi Cindy. :D Yes. Conventional wisdom is that the Duratec 3.5L engine can take up 5,000 miles (or more) to fully break-in.

Thanks, at least I have something to look forward to. Also had a question for anyone. Has anyone ever put the Ambience Lighting kit in an Edge? I am planning on having the one we bought put in tomorrow. Hopefully it will turn out good. They have a tech that has done them before. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Also understand that fuel mileage will vary with the time of year due to temperature and local gasoline blends. Anything with 10% ethanol will cost you 1-2 mpg typically as do the other winter blends.

Aren't we being told that gas is always going to have ethanol in it even if it's summer time now? I think that's what I have heard. That means that extra 1-2 mpg won't come back to us. I hate the gas mileage of the Edge but I love everything else about it so I guess I'll wait to see how that improves. Thanks

Aren't we being told that gas is always going to have ethanol in it even if it's summer time now? I think that's what I have heard. That means that extra 1-2 mpg won't come back to us. I hate the gas mileage of the Edge but I love everything else about it so I guess I'll wait to see how that improves. Thanks

Hi Cindy. :D I can only speak for where I live, and that is not the case. We only have oxygenated fuel in the winter months. No ethanol in the spring/summer.

• 1 month later...
Hi Cindy. :D I can only speak for where I live, and that is not the case. We only have oxygenated fuel in the winter months. No ethanol in the spring/summer.

Right now I think that is mandatory by law, mainly all gas stations all along the US are dispensing the gas with 10% ethanol on it (E-87), in all three kinds...I have seen the same stupid stickers on the pumps of the 10% along the whole year.

Anyway I got mine in september, and it has now around 1100 miles, I have not been able to get more than 11-12 mpg using regular gas (87 octane) driving on the city...

Right now I think that is mandatory by law, mainly all gas stations all along the US are dispensing the gas with 10% ethanol on it (E-87), in all three kinds...I have seen the same stupid stickers on the pumps of the 10% along the whole year.

Anyway I got mine in september, and it has now around 1100 miles, I have not been able to get more than 11-12 mpg using regular gas (87 octane) driving on the city...

It's E10.

We get to use it because it's SSOO much cleaner :hysterical: than straight gas.

Especially when you're coasting that 30+ miles PER TANK that real gas would have taken you.

ab

Actually, I guess I'm fortunate-my mileage is getting much better. I just turned over 3,400 miles. I'm getting around 19.5 doing 70% stop-n-go and 30% freeway. I was pretty disappointed at first. until recently I was getting around 18 overall. I don't baby it but I DO try to watch hard acceleration/stopping and trying to coast to stoplights. Jen :burnout:

The Kansas City Star had an article last week about the practice of 'splash blending', where the gas stations (or their truck transport contractors) manually mix the ethanol with the gasoline. Since ethanol is/was so much cheaper than gas, some stations were blending 30% or more ethanol. This not only kills gas mileage, but can possibly damage your fuel system and engine.

I just got back from a 2400 mile trip with my 2008 Edge, and averaged over 26mpg (per the onboard computer). I have had isolated instances in the past where my mileage was much worse, and I had always attributed it to a heavy foot. But perhaps it's the neighborhood gas station that found it could make extra money by upping the percentage of ethanol...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi 818EDGE. :D This has been discussed in numerous posts. So many in fact, it would make your head spin.

There are many reasons that your MPG's will drop this time of year.:

1 - Winter gasoline formulations, mandated by the EPA. The formulations are "Oxygenated". You get lower MPG.

2 - Cold weather temperatures. Cold temperatures mean higher fuel consumption. You get lower MPG

3 - Cold weather temperatures. Cars take longer to reach operating temperature. Therefore run "richer" for a longer period of time before reaching regular operating temperatures. You get lower MPG.

4 - If you leave your HVAC system on "AUTO', or have the front windshield defroster on, your A/C compressor is running to dehumidify the warm air. It is the equivalent of leaving your Air Conditioning on all the time in the summer. You get lower MPG.

5 - When is the last time you checked your tire pressure (with a good tire pressure gauge)? For every 10*F drop in air temperature, you lose about 1.5psi. So if you last checked your tire pressure when it was 65*F, and it is now 25*F, your tire pressure is at least 6psi low. And that is only from temperature loss, and does not include other pressure losses. Low tire pressure means, you guessed it, lower MPG (and is downright dangerous also).

These are only 5 reasons. There are others. Everybodys MPG drops in the winter time.

You cannot beat the laws of physics!

Good luck! :beerchug:

I'll say you are dead on with this theory.

I just got back from a 1204 mile roundtrip to NC from Ohio . I drove shortcuts going down ,taking 595 miles and getting 27 mpg in 50-60's temps . We drove just 44 miles locally in 4 days(20-45 mph) there and returned today in 40's temps dropping to 20-30's and mixed rain/snow . On this return trip the mileage dropped considerably to the teens. We took some different short cuts for a 565 mile return trip but used more fuel . We ended up averaging 24.3 mpg for the entire trip but would have done much better if the temperatures hadn't gone down. I'm wondering if our local fuel vs what we filled with down south could have affected our MPGs also.

Edited by BLACK ICE

Well with my wife driving were at 10mpg, currently, the weather is cooler now and we are using our remote start, (which only runs 10 mins) we are over 8000kms now, will probly swap over to a full synthetic now... Its kinda crazy, i have a 98 GMC with a 454 and i can easily get 15mpg....WTF

But anyways, has ford come out with any new re-flashes? one that counteracts the the thirstyness?