Need advice on this possible purchase...

mills2626

Because there are a million SE, SEL and Limiteds on the road and very few Sports. I just like the look better of the Sport. All the other models look like old man vehicles.

Since I bought the Edge I've noticed it's driven by more chicks than old men or men in general. Don't think you can do much about that unless you decide to add 36" Mudders and fender flares. The only differences I see between the Sport and other models are the wheels and the grill color, which I hate and plan to do something about. I may paint it black or maybe match the color of the car, Kodiak Brown. And oh yeah the plastic Sport badge. 2 things I do with every vehicle; pull off anything dealer related and the badges.

Ā 

But hey different strokes for different folks. If you like it go for it. What color by the way?

• Like 1

Since I bought the Edge I've noticed it's driven by more chicks than old men or men in general. Don't think you can do much about that unless you decide to add 36" Mudders and fender flares. The only differences I see between the Sport and other models are the wheels and the grill color, which I hate and plan to do something about. I may paint it black or maybe match the color of the car, Kodiak Brown. And oh yeah the plastic Sport badge. 2 things I do with every vehicle; pull off anything dealer related and the badges.

Ā 

But hey different strokes for different folks. If you like it go for it. What color by the way?

Black

I looked in the tire thread here and it was not uncommon for these tires to wear pretty early. Mechanic said everything checked out alright with the struts, etc..

I had a 2011 sport with the Pirelli 22's. I drive over 40k year, a lot of highway obviously, but city as well as I am I sales. A couple of things I noticed about those tires...anything over 30k is a bonus as far as wear is concerned. I am part of the ford manangement incremental lease program, so all my maintenance is free of charge including tires, I servie the hell out of the vehicle every oil change, regular service interval the vehicle gets whatever it needs. I needed tires at 31k all 4 new pirellis and of course no one stocks them even ford or Lincoln dealers. I probably could have kept theM Longer but in Michigan and Ohio, when the tread is "borderline" replacement, you need to replace the tires due to the snow and ice here. Ford agreed and replaced all the tires. I have never in my life, seen tires that picked up nails and screws like these pirellis did. I was always getting a TPMS light on and sure enough I had picked up a nail or screw. Most times the tires could be plugged. I did hit a chuck hole on the free way and it blew out both right side tires at the same time. No rim damage, but the I had to get 2 new tires. I later picked up a nail on a tire right where the sidewall meets the tread....couldn't be plugged or patched and had to get 1 brand new tire. So I would say from my own experience with these tires and the vehicle, that seeing 1 newer tire, as long as it matches the others is no big deal...I wouldn't say that it "flags" the vehicle as repo. Also, as these tires are very rarely in stock, possibly the owner "HAD" to get back on the road ASAP and had the dealer put on an un matching tire....I would be more concernedw if I saw that the rim was damaged than if the tire was different. Also after hitting that chuckhole, I had to have the vehicle alighted again...just made sense after a jolt like that...just my 2 cents. I was surprised how well these tires did in the snow for an aggressive tread and type tire. I never had any problems with them getting traction.

• Like 1

It smells of repossed vehicle, one tire replaced and then auctioned immediately. Not to mention the current dealer has been trying to off load this car for 10 months. I would look for another vehicle.

It is common practice to make sure that all the tires match and have good tread left when turning a lease vehicle. Even if you have 2 new sets of tire on the car, let's say 2 new michelins on the front and 2 new pirellis on the back, at lease turn in time, you will be penalized and billed for 2 new tires regardless of condition all 4 must match make and model of tire. So possibly he had 1 tire that was below the tread wear acceptable limit and rather getting billed for a new tire by the bank, which is more than retail believe me, he went ahead and bought a new tire. I believe this is exactly what happened especially when you mention that the vehicle went directly to auction. Many banks now inspect the returned vehicles "on-site" at auction by an alleged "third party inspection person" basically this person is looking to protect the bank and will chargeback any little thing that they can to the customer. Rather tha. Take a chance at at auction where the person who leased the vehicle is NOT present at time of vehicle dins pectin, the owner just put a new tire on it to be sure. If you track most used cars, you will see it auction quickly after it was turned in,..that is just the way it today, very few dealers will keep the vehicles they keep on trade in for very long, they simply run through the "hoop" as used cars prices are high through the auction right now and have been since the "cash for clunkers" program sponsored by the government. That program literally removed the entire classification or group of vehicles that used to buy for $3500 to $6000. That made all other used vehicle prices go through the roof and they remain there currently. Just look at what you get for $10,000 now...a car with 80,000 miles. It wasn't like that before. If you like the car....buy it! It is your car not any else's. Use the carfax as a tool not the bible, many service locations do not input any info when a vehicle gets serviced but people look at that carfax like it is the "last word". Use carfax to really see if the vehicle was in an accident, that was reported, many aren't, if it was a flood vehicle or if the airbags were deployed. Those issues to me are the most important. All the other stuff is sunjective at best, but you can get a picture of the overall vehicle condition, look at the wear of the seats, the carpet, preset radio stations also give you a sense of who had the vehicle previously....

• Like 1

very few dealers will keep the vehicles they keep on trade in for very long, they simply run through the "hoop" as used cars prices are high through the auction right now and have been since the "cash for clunkers" program sponsored by the government. That program literally removed the entire classification or group of vehicles that used to buy for $3500 to $6000. That made all other used vehicle prices go through the roof and they remain there currently. Just look at what you get for $10,000 now...a car with 80,000 miles. It wasn't like that before.

Ā 

Tell me about it. I tried to find a nice cheap used F150 - no such thing. Even a 2008 with 120K miles is over $20K. I'm looking at mid to late 70s F100s and the decent ones are $6K. Same for Rangers.

In the past while shopping for a Ford Edge I found two things about the used ones. 1) fleet rental/lease wholesale at auction or 2) one owner trade in. These were the two reasons I found for them to be for sale used. Maybe the Edge is now common enough the dealers are auctioning them off? Last decision is yours. You drove it, you had it checked out. When buying used it is a crap shoot as far as previous owners maint. records or any maint. at all. Good news is most everything broken can be fixed when needed.

• Like 1

What's the difference between a fleet/rental/lease wholesale auction vehicle and a dealer auction vehicle? They're both auctioned, right?

Basically the same, both are auctioned off. Typically you will find current model year fleet and rental vehicles at auction. Most personal or private lease vehicles will be at least 2 years old when hitting the auction. The fleet and rental vehicles are good for obvious reasons, low mileage, still under full factory warranty usually and considerably more affordable than a brand new vehicle. The upside to a dealer getting these vehicles at auction is that many banks will use a "like invoice" of a brand new vehicle for financing purposes. These types of vehicles are desirable because dealers can "bury" a ton of negative equity into them that the customer may have and the bank will still finance the car with the negative equity because when you add the negative equity and whatever cost of the vehicle that the dealer wants to show, as long as it is within a certain range of a brand new, same model year car, the bank will finance the negative equity on that car loan at a new car interest rate which is always lower than on a used car. The better your credit, usually the more negative equity you can bury into a vehicle. For a great creditworthy person, most banks will finance a new car at 110% of MSRP. so if I have $6500 negative equity and the the dealer has bought a 2014 used edge with 9000 miles at auction for let's say $28,000 he can add my negative equity onto that vehicle, making the cost $34,500 but the car had a new MSRP of $38,000 so the dealer can easily bury all the negative equity onto that vehicle and the bank will probably finance that negative equity on that vehicle because they will look at that vehicle as a 2014 model year with a MSRP of $38,000. That is the latest year or model available at this time, the 2015's are not out yet. You cannot bury much negative equity onto a brand new car without HUGE rebates and incentives...many times you can basically refinance bad debt, negative equity, at a lower interest rate, which is always a good thing. But ultimately, one of two things has to happen eventually....you either have to keep the vehicle until it is actually worth what you owe on it, as above, you now own a 2014 edge with 9000 miles on it and you owe $34500 on it and it is worth $28000 at auction or you got to "come up shootin' my friend and pay off your negative equity in cash or as a down payment to get everything back into check. I always liked to buy a new car when they are "early releases" to bury negative equity into. For example you can buy let's say a 2016 model year MKX when they come out in hopefully August. That means you can drive that car for approximately 16 months before it is at least in the banks eyes as well as a used car value appraisals 1 year old and its value drops to coincide with the age of the vehicle.

• Like 1

Additionally, when someone drove off the lot on December 30, 2014, only 5 weeks ago, in a brand new 2014 vehicle, in the used car market, they are already driving a vehicle that has a value of that vehicle being already 1 year old even before it has had its first oil change. That buyer has not simply lost roughly 25-30% in value due to depreciation the moment the car hit the street from the lot, but also he got whacked with the car 2 days later being 1 year old already too! Why do you think the dealers give these things away right now...and when the 2015 models of that vehicle come out, many banks will not finance that brand new car as a new car because it is although still brand new, a used vehicle due to model year! A 2014 vs. a 2015 model. At that point you will find that those vehicles will usually have the best financing through the manufacturer and not a bank like 5/3 or PNC.

• Like 2

Which is why I never buy new cars. Add the miles I drive into the equation and I buy the low end models with just the basic items I need. I still end up with a worthless car every four years, no matter what I do to keep it in good shape. I don't keep them pretty just mechanically safe and reliable.

Additionally, when someone drove off the lot on December 30, 2014, only 5 weeks ago, in a brand new 2014 vehicle, in the used car market, they are already driving a vehicle that has a value of that vehicle being already 1 year old even before it has had its first oil change. That buyer has not simply lost roughly 25-30% in value due to depreciation the moment the car hit the street from the lot, but also he got whacked with the car 2 days later being 1 year old already too! Why do you think the dealers give these things away right now...and when the 2015 models of that vehicle come out, many banks will not finance that brand new car as a new car because it is although still brand new, a used vehicle due to model year! A 2014 vs. a 2015 model. At that point you will find that those vehicles will usually have the best financing through the manufacturer and not a bank like 5/3 or PNC.

• Like 2

Additionally, when someone drove off the lot on December 30, 2014, only 5 weeks ago, in a brand new 2014 vehicle, in the used car market, they are already driving a vehicle that has a value of that vehicle being already 1 year old even before it has had its first oil change.

Ā 

That's not completely accurate. Mileage still plays a big part in the value of the car. One time I priced out a 2 yr old vehicle and a 3 yr old vehicle with the same mileage and there was only a few hundred dollars difference in value.

Ā 

Of course driving anything off the lot drops it a lot right off the bat, but the whole "model year older" argument in regards to value down the road is sometimes exagerrated.

• Like 1

When I bought my wife's used Grand Cherokee they had a bunch of cars on the lot. The mileage needs to match the tire wear on a car with less than 50,000 miles. The wear should be even and not inside or outside. The car my wife liked had low mileage and uneven wear. I told her no. She looked more and took the same car without sunroof but with leather and tires that matched and showed about 25,000 miles that matched the speedo reading. These tires lasted until 50,000 miles and wore evenly. The next set is ready to be replaced at 114,000 miles and are worn evenly. Tires are a big teller of abuse or odometer fraud. Go with your gut. If it walks like a duck it probably is a duck.

By the way, her G.C.is the best (shhhhhh don't jinx it).

My tires never last more than 35K on a vehicle like the Edge. And I also had to have one tire replaced due to a nail in the sidewall. Uneven treadwear just points to needing an alignment. It doesn't mean abuse and it's EXTREMELY hard to change the odometers nowadays. You'd have to change out the entire cluster and you'd need a Ford tool to do that.

• Like 1

Reading all of these posts about the possible purchase of this Edge, and the question about the one tire which was replaced, I was curious about the Pirelli tires. I have the 20 inch Pirelli tires on my 2013 Edge Limited which came from the factory with them. I rotate every 5000 miles, keep the PSI at 35, and drive about 80 percent highway. At 41000 miles, they are ready to be replaced.

Ā 

Checking the Pirelli Tire Company site, I found this which is very interesting! I have no idea how strict they are following their own terms when it comes to warranty claims, but I doubt if ANYONE could get a warranty claim if they stick to them. The bold print was added by me to high light what I think would prevent any claims being made.

Ā 

This Treadwear Warranty only applies if:
You are the original purchaser and have a copy of the original receipt or invoice.

You are the owner of the vehicle on which the tires were originally installed.

You have had the tires rotated every 3000 to 4000 miles with documentation.

All tires worn evenly across the tread, down to the treadwear indicators (2/32") at which time the tires are considered to be legally 100% worn out.

Your servicing Pirelli dealer has completed the Tire Rotation Record.

• Like 2

What he said. Too expensive + questionable history = Keep Looking

Ā 

I have had buyer's remorse in the past, it's a bitter pill that you re-swallow every time you drive it

Mills-

Ā 

Not to get into your business but why the Sport? Don't get me wrong, I love HP. But I don't see the value of paying a few extra grand for just 20 more horses. 40-50 more HP is a different story. I bet you can find a loaded Limited or SEL for a lot less.

Ā 

3 weeks ago I picked up a Certified Pre Owned 2014 loaded SEL AWD with 3,700 miles. One owner, clean carfax, vehicle was bought from the same dealer and the original owner changed the oil after 6 months and 2,000 miles. 20" wheels (chrome clad though), leather, Nav, BLIS, vista roof, remote cargo door, remote start, etc... I even got 4 keys and Weathertech Smoke window guards. 2014 Window Sticker was $42,000 plus a few more for dealer add-ons. Dealer was asking $33,000 but while I was sitting there they listed it on their website as an internet blowout price of $29,000. I don't jerk around with salesmen so I demanded the GM to be next to me to negotiate. After a considerable amount of time, I'm not going to pretend it was easy, I got them down to my price of $25,000. The next day the GM called me to cancel our deal and return my deposit because he said he was losing money. Probably because they didn't take down the web price and got a better offer.

Ā 

So I basically got a 10 month old 3,700 mile $44,000 car for $25,000. My point is this: 1) I'm one hell of a negotiator!!! and 2) If you're here to ask if it's a good deal, it means you're not thrilled about it and may have buyers remorse if you get it. My advice is to keep looking until you find what you want for the price you want. There are a ton of Edge's out there. If you asked me the day before I got the Edge what I was looking to buy I probably would have told you a Dodge Journey Crossroad. Opinions and opportunities can change that fast.

• Like 1

Reading all of these posts about the possible purchase of this Edge, and the question about the one tire which was replaced, I was curious about the Pirelli tires. I have the 20 inch Pirelli tires on my 2013 Edge Limited which came from the factory with them. I rotate every 5000 miles, keep the PSI at 35, and drive about 80 percent highway. At 41000 miles, they are ready to be replaced.

Ā 

Checking the Pirelli Tire Company site, I found this which is very interesting! I have no idea how strict they are following their own terms when it comes to warranty claims, but I doubt if ANYONE could get a warranty claim if they stick to them. The bold print was added by me to high light what I think would prevent any claims being made.

Ā 

You are the original purchaser and have a copy of the original receipt or invoice.

You are the owner of the vehicle on which the tires were originally installed.You have had the tires rotated every 3000 to 4000 miles with documentation.

All tires worn evenly across the tread, down to the treadwear indicators (2/32") at which time the tires are considered to be legally 100% worn out.Your servicing Pirelli dealer has completed the Tire Rotation Record.

I used to change my oil and rotate my tires every 3000 miles religiously until I was able to advantage of the incremental lease program. Does anyone know what the "suggested" oil change interval is from ford? I know with today's oils, that you can really go unti, 5000 miles with no problem unless you are baha racing in the desert or something. So I would today still change oil/rotate at that interval of 5k. Interestingly, as my vehicles are serviced only by ford world headquarters garage or a dealer if I am out of town, all my maintenance is covered, including wear items such as tires,brakes, whatever ford picks up the tab. I CANNOT bring my vehicle in for an oil change before 10,000! Ford will decline the service altogether and I would have to pay for it personally......don't think so. So my question is this....if my new edge or let's say my Lincoln MKS that I am driving now, which needs Michelins all the way around at 41,0000 is told by the vehicle manufacturer, that service is not needed or will not be provided for/paid for by ford unless certain mileage markers are met, what would Michelin/Pirelli say to that? Here on one hand I understand about rotating the tires religiously, especially on the performance tires, but if the manufacturer tells me that they will not pay service until the oil change interval of 10,000 miles, who do you believe? The guys who designed and built the car and selected those specific tires to enhance the ride and responsiveness of their vehicle or the tire manufacturer themselves?....I know first hand as I tried to have my first incremental lease serviced at about 4800 miles and the dealer said they won't approve that service interval. I then called world headquarters garage and they said absolutely not. I saw 10,000 and I mean every mile. I was going on vacation from mi to fl in my vehicle. (1350 miles each way). I wanted to get service done, oil change, rotation, etc. before we went. The car had 9350 miles on it since last service.....I had to get "approval" from headquarters to get it done. As the dealer was putting together the work order, it rejected the service with out approval. So who do you believe? I know the chemical industry and products very well, even the best of the best military grade oil for humvees for example will only go about 15,000 before needed changeout...

• Like 1

That's not completely accurate. Mileage still plays a big part in the value of the car. One time I priced out a 2 yr old vehicle and a 3 yr old vehicle with the same mileage and there was only a few hundred dollars difference in value.

Ā 

Of course driving anything off the lot drops it a lot right off the bat, but the whole "model year older" argument in regards to value down the road is sometimes exagerrated.

Agreed...somewhat subjective...I think in nada books, that an add on value for low mileage is less than that of a model year newer. Mileage add-ons might be up to 2000 more max...

Ā 

All that being said...it still comes down to this......"what is the vehicle worth......whatever the customer is willing to pay for it, no more no less"

Ā 

Remember the test of putting a dead pig into a brand new nice car, a caddy or vette or something and sealing it up airtight for a couple months and then really cleaning the vehicle professionally, and trying to sell it? I think the highest anyone offered was $100.00 because it still wreaked of dead pig. So that car is is worth $100.00 although I am sure it's window sticjker was over $30,000......it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.....so both arguments are negated

Ā 

Ā 

You are the owner of the vehicle on which the tires were originally installed.You have had the tires rotated every 3000 to 4000 miles with documentation.

All tires worn evenly across the tread, down to the treadwear indicators (2/32") at which time the tires are considered to be legally 100% worn out.Your servicing Pirelli dealer has completed the Tire Rotation Record.

Get the checkbook out....the 20's are not cheap, the 22's either...a full set of either is about 3 times the cost of my first car!!,

• Like 1