Wait, what? How did it do that? Gas prices...

MPW

So cruising down the road messing with the Navigation, and I put gas stations in for a POI. They all came up with current gas prices. I was NOT expecting that. I bought this 2012 Limited used, and have no current Sirius subscription. Any idea where it gets the data? I do have my iPhone plugged in, but I didn't figure that it was using it's data.

Mike

I have an 09 MKX and get the gas station names and info, but not prices. As that would be in real time, it has to be coming in from somewhere. My guess is you are getting updates through your iphone. To test this, you could try this feature with your phone off (do not link before you drive ) and see if you still are getting gas prices.

I have Sirius Travel Link and get gas prices on the Travel Link screen, but it does not link to the nav screen. (At least I don't think it does, never seen it do this).

Any chance the former owner had an annual subscription to Sirius that may still be continuing? You could check for a Travel Link connection on the info screen.

Sirius and XM are having a free preview for the next week or so. I just tuned into my unsubscribed Sirius today while driving. The gas prices showing may be a part of the free preview.

Ahh ok, that would probably explain it. Can't go check it because it's at Ford getting a PTU seal done this morning. But the Fusion they gave me as a loaner had Sirius working, so yeah. Free preview it must be.

Thanks anyway Sirius, but I'll stick with Spotify Free, and Gas Buddy on the iPhone. :)

Thanks ls973!

Gasbuddy app on phone is free & that works GREAT!

No need to Pay Sirius

I have gasbuddy on my phone as well, and Travel Link on the MKX.

What I like about travel link is, not only gives you the gas prices in your vicinity, but you can also pick one on the display and the nav unit will set it as the destination. Makes it easy to use in a strange city rather that struggling with a phone, set at night. Was on business in Louisville earlier this year and had to find a gas station before I checked in to the hotel. Would have been lost had I relied on Gasbuddy, with all the one-way streets and whatnot.

Plus you get some extras, like local movies, weather radar. It's easily worth the $2 a month IMO.

How is Travel link in being updated in real time for price? My experience was Travel link was slower in real time updates vs. an app like gas buddy. And since Gas can vary so much per day/week...I like the app ...May depend on area since it is people sourced.

"set it as the destination" ok that is a 1 click...but for those interested

Gas buddy DOES provide address ...so you can speak or type address into the car nav in exchange for free or just use phone map

I have Sirius - but I needed all the energy to get the biggest discount for the music/internet subscription

Ok, and update on this...

I checked again this morning. Gas prices are still updating, and are accurate. The free Sirius promotion ended yesterday, so I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Anyone who cares to check: On center stack, go to Navigation>Dest>POI>Gas/Fuel stations

As it populates, the gas prices will be listed on the right hand side.

Also, I went into settings>Sirius, and confirmed that I DO NOT have an active subscription to any Sirius services.

I do not have a sirius subscription and I get the gas prices as well. Dont know where they are coming from but i checked them compared to the gas station I was at and there was only a couple cents variance so they must be updated semi regularly..... or maybe it was just luck. who knows but a cool feature none the less.

Ok, and update on this...

I checked again this morning. Gas prices are still updating, and are accurate. The free Sirius promotion ended yesterday, so I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Anyone who cares to check: On center stack, go to Navigation>Dest>POI>Gas/Fuel stations

As it populates, the gas prices will be listed on the right hand side.

Also, I went into settings>Sirius, and confirmed that I DO NOT have an active subscription to any Sirius services.

In my experience the Sirius promos end a few days later than they say they will. The current promo is on until Feb 16.

I don't think the list of subscriptions means much during the promos; when they are on, mine says I am subscribed to everything except music, but the music is working.

Edited by factor99

Perhaps the former owner had an existing subscription to Ford for this. (I admit I know little to nothing about MFT, but I believe there is a subscription service that has gas prices and other stuff. Somewhere I read, probably this forum, that it was $99/year - or whatever). Anyway, maybe you still are running on a subscription service.

Anyone have any experience with this? Can you chime in on what's actually covered?