2015 Ford Edge ordered

JACKIE

Ambient lighting is the light on the door sill and cup holders, etc. Apparently it isn't available with all trim packages, but I assume my Titanium will have it. Wingnut said it's cool, but not really necessary. Most pictures show it in blue, but I think the orange will be nice; it's looks amber.

It's just one more feature that I can tinker with and set to my liking. (I called it Courtesy lights in error at first.) Pretty sure my mom has it in her Lincoln in blue (she wouldn't know how to change it anyway).

• Like 1

Thanks Jackie ... just one of many tid-bits we look forward to learning more about such as door locks open when your hand passes behind the handle provided the fob is on you , acoustic glass , MPH speed sensitive wipers , grill shutters , little own automatic lift gate , now ambient lighting and the tech package is already way over my head ...

This forum is educational and fun

Perk

• Like 1

Thanks Jackie ... just one of many tid-bits we look forward to learning more about such as door locks open when your hand passes behind the handle provided the fob is on you , acoustic glass , MPH speed sensitive wipers , grill shutters , little own automatic lift gate , now ambient lighting and the tech package is already way over my head ...

This forum is educational and fun

Perk

Door locks: This option is nice. I have used it on other cars (lexus) which I think was implemented a little better because I felt it was executed the way it should be. With the Ford version, if you grab the handle and pull, it is still locked. You have to be slow. Grip the handle, listen for the pop, and then pull open. Not a huge deal but you need to get used to the process. To lock, you just touch the top of the handle where it has these 3 lines on the handle. Pretty cool....but you don't get much of a response from the car that it has locked since there is no physical lock "shafts" that go up and down on top of the door. With the Lexus, the lock was a physical button you pushed on the handle and it beeped when locked. Another issue is it is very sensitive. If you have the Fob in your pocket while washing the car, every time the sponge touches the handle it unlocks the door. So you hear "Click....Click....Click" while washing the door.

The push start is nice. If for some reason you leave your fob in your pocket, you get out, and the car is running...it will honk the horn quickly twice to remind you that the fob is not in the car.

Auto lift gate is nice too. Especially if you have the senors under the tail that allows you to trigger it to open/close with a wave of your foot. Tip: You can adjust the height of how high the lift gate goes up with the auto lift. So if you have a low ceiling in your garage or have a canoe on top, set it so it doesn't go that high in case of an accidental lift.

Ambient lighting is the light on the door sill and cup holders, etc. Apparently it isn't available with all trim packages, but I assume my Titanium will have it. Wingnut said it's cool, but not really necessary. Most pictures show it in blue, but I think the orange will be nice; it's looks amber.

It's just one more feature that I can tinker with and set to my liking. (I called it Courtesy lights in error at first.) Pretty sure my mom has it in her Lincoln in blue (she wouldn't know how to change it anyway).

The ambient lighting is also under the dash so that color shows in the footwells of the front driver/passenger.

The setting is within the Sync system and a bunch of colored balls pop up where you can choose which color you'd like.

Newer Ford's have an auto shut off feature, so that if you leave the car idling (e.x. forgot to turn it off) it would turn off after 45 minutes. I'd expect the new Edge to also have it.

Yes it does. I noticed the setting yesterday and was going to look up what it was.

Yes it does. I noticed the setting yesterday and was going to look up what it was.

I knew about it because the latest MFT update(s) stated something about turning off the feature during the update process. A very useful feature, in my opinion. Edited by omar302

Door locks: This option is nice. I have used it on other cars (lexus) which I think was implemented a little better because I felt it was executed the way it should be. With the Ford version, if you grab the handle and pull, it is still locked. You have to be slow. Grip the handle, listen for the pop, and then pull open. Not a huge deal but you need to get used to the process. To lock, you just touch the top of the handle where it has these 3 lines on the handle. Pretty cool....but you don't get much of a response from the car that it has locked since there is no physical lock "shafts" that go up and down on top of the door. With the Lexus, the lock was a physical button you pushed on the handle and it beeped when locked. Another issue is it is very sensitive. If you have the Fob in your pocket while washing the car, every time the sponge touches the handle it unlocks the door. So you hear "Click....Click....Click" while washing the door.

There should be a red led where the plunger would have been that lights up when the door is locked.

How does Lexus unlock the door more quickly?

I ordered my Edge in February I ordered a Titanium with every option but the block heater . I was told they didn't have the parts for the adaptive cruise then, the last time I talked to my dealer I was told they would have parts and start building them May 5th. Another dealer got one in and I went to see it great looking car he also verified the may 5th start build date for the adaptive cruise. How soon should my dealer be able to give me a Vin number so I can see when the actual build date wii be for my car

I ordered my Edge in February I ordered a Titanium with every option but the block heater . I was told they didn't have the parts for the adaptive cruise then, the last time I talked to my dealer I was told they would have parts and start building them May 5th. Another dealer got one in and I went to see it great looking car he also verified the may 5th start build date for the adaptive cruise. How soon should my dealer be able to give me a Vin number so I can see when the actual build date wii be for my car

You may want to read around about the Drivers Assistance Package. It seems cars equipped with that option were looking at a May (Earliest) build date. But now I am reading that it has been pushed to September.

There should be a red led where the plunger would have been that lights up when the door is locked.

How does Lexus unlock the door more quickly?

Yes there is a Red LED. But in the sun, it isn't easy to see. And who wants to stand there staring at some light waiting for it to blink. A short beep from the car would be awesome. For me it is easier to just hit the lock button my Fob so I know for sure it is locked.

As for the Lexus, I don't know why it was faster. It just was. I feel with the Ford when I go to open the door, I'm pulling it too fast before it unlocks.

I don't have any problem tapping the handle and hearing the doors lock.

To me, the lock and unlock sounds the same. So when I touch the handle to lock, I'm not 100% positive that it locked vs. maybe I touched the wrong part of the handle and it tried to unlock.

Just a personal thing.

ESP: Extended Service Plans -- Please share you opinion of warranty plans offered by Ford. I see four listed in the manual (online):

PremiumCARE

ExtraCARE

BaseCARE

PowertrainCARE

I will need to make a decision within a couple weeks when my 2015 Edge is delivered. We aren't normally warranty people, but sometimes we have for major purchases, but never for a vehicle. But then again, I've never bought new before either. (And since it's 2nd generation Edge--new production, I am leaning toward it.)

For my Mustang that I bought new, I went with PremiumCare with the $50 deductible (Deductible not required until Original warranty expires). My thoughts were I wanted a warranty for the entire time I'd be making payments on the car. I had a 5 year loan. I also factored my estimated mileagle for that 5 years based on usage at the time. So I figured the warranty would run out right when I stopped making payments....and that is exactly how it is happening. It expires in July.

Between the time the Original warranty expried and now, I have had to use Premium Care a few times. Last week I had new swar bar links (front and back) replaced and lower front control arms up front replaced. Also my trunk switch. Out of warranty it was about $1100. So all it cost me was $50 for my deductible. I believe I paid about $1500 for the extended warranty (I'd have to check my records to confirm).

So it may have saved me a few hundred bucks in the end. But I have a feeling it would have saved me more if I was still working the same job as I was back then. I put a lot of miles on then. Now I'm 3 miles from the office so my mileage is very low.

For me it was worth the $1500 knowing I'd be covered until the end of my loan. I'd hate to be making a car payment AND paying $1k this month for the repair. It is a gamble you take at the time. And as time goes on, the extended warranty price will go up. SO I suggest you make the decision around the time you get the car.

Some people will claim it is always better to not get the warranty. But nobody has a crystal ball and repairs can get pricey these days. Especially with all the electronics in the car.

At the time (2010), Lombard ford had the best price for the extended warranty: http://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/

• Like 1

For me it was worth the $1500 knowing I'd be covered until the end of my loan. I'd hate to be making a car payment AND paying $1k this month for the repair. It is a gamble you take at the time. And as time goes on, the extended warranty price will go up. SO I suggest you make the decision around the time you get the car.

But you would have SAVED $1500 up front. If you simply put that in the bank you could pay the $1K and still have $500 left. The price goes up $100 after 12 months. The best option if you can't afford a large repair bill is to finance it with the vehicle so you're never paying more than a few bucks per month.

Some people will claim it is always better to not get the warranty. But nobody has a crystal ball and repairs can get pricey these days. Especially with all the electronics in the car.

But it IS going to be cheaper in the long run over several vehicles except in very rare circumstances. Just like Vegas - you might win a jackpot now and then but if you play long enough the house will always win because they set the odds in their favor. Ford sets the odds in their favor by the price they charge. They charge more than the average repair - otherwise they wouldn't make any money. So by insuring yourself you will, on average over multiple vehicles, end up paying less over time. That's just the way it works.

I think people have an aversion to paying for a $3K repair one time and would prefer to pay $1500 up front on 4 vehicles, even though $6K is double $3K. I guess when it's rolled into the cost of the vehicle or purchased individually it just seems better.

E.g. - I've kept at least 5 vehicles at least 2 years past the factory warranty, sometimes longer. I may have spent $500 on all of them in various repairs that would have been covered by the extended warranty. However, by not buying any of the warranties I've saved at least $7K. Even if I have to spend $3K tomorrow I'm ok with that because I'm still $3500 ahead.

But you would have SAVED $1500 up front. If you simply put that in the bank you could pay the $1K and still have $500 left. The price goes up $100 after 12 months. The best option if you can't afford a large repair bill is to finance it with the vehicle so you're never paying more than a few bucks per month.

Unless I didn't word it right, I've had around $1500 worth of repairs done using PremiumCare. So I'm close to breaking even. And I may not be done since it'll go to the shop one more time prior to PremiumCare expiration for my annual inspection/emissions. I plan on going over the car with a fine tooth comb to see if I have anything that may need attention.

And I didn't finance PremiumCare since I knew you can buy it from other dealers that may have competitive pricing. So I researched the price before I bought the car and then compared it to what my dealer quoted me. So it was factored in how much I'd put down on the car.

But like you said, it is a gamble. I've been lucky with the Mustang but it only has 60k on it after 5 years.

I understand the up-front savings and in the end you can look back and say poor investment....on paper.

But there is value in it for me because after 3 years or 36k miles, everytime I heard a knock or a light came on, I didn't think "Oh damn...what is this going to cost me". The thought of having that warranty made it more enjoyable and the that monthly payment not a big deal.

But that is strictly personal opinion on how I look and measure value with this sort of thing.

I bought an extended warranty for my TV one time. Never again. Not at the prices for TVs these days.

Warranty: Thanks for the feedback so far! I won't have loan payments to worry about (thank goodness) and can afford repairs, but they would still bite. I put on about 15,000 miles/year, so reasonable, not excessive. With my 'new vehicle' syndrome, I suppose most initial issues should be under factory warranty (I've never had a factory warranty). Still pondering...

Warranty: Thanks for the feedback so far! I won't have loan payments to worry about (thank goodness) and can afford repairs, but they would still bite. I put on about 15,000 miles/year, so reasonable, not excessive. With my 'new vehicle' syndrome, I suppose most initial issues should be under factory warranty (I've never had a factory warranty). Still pondering...

I would agree that anything major 'should' go bad within the original factory warranty. Plus the power train warranty is longer than the bumper to bumper warranty. What goes later on is things that wear out. Like sway bar links and control arms.