Scheduled Maintenance, When?

oskar27

At 23,300km I went today to the dealer for oil change and filter which I do once per year and the technician asked, anything else for today? Then I said, well is something else I can do? And he said yes at 24k you need to change the air filter and have brakes inspection. So I said ok lets do it.

I have no documentation to tell me what service and when I should do what’s required. My manual in page 355 has something about scheduled maintenance but nothing to tell me at so many miles I have to do this service etc.

I remember my old Passat had a separate booklet just for maintenance and each page was marked with the miles(time) intervals for each service with detailed description of each service and a place for the dealer to stamp the service performed

How do we know when we need a service and what each service includes?

Worth reading from that point in the manual until the beginning of the section on Sync. Gives you a full picture for planning. BTW, I don't know if they have specials in Canada, but they have "The Works" in the U.S. (owner.ford.com) that includes oil/filter change, tire rotation and multipoint inspection. Pretty good deal!

2013 Edge Owners Manual_Maintenance.pdf

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

I have the 3rd printing of the owners guide and there is no difference regarding maintenance with the 4th printing which I downloaded (thanks for the link)

As an example, there is nothing mentioned in the guide that I have to inspect / lubricate the brakes and change the air filter at 24k kilometers like the service tech told me today. Assuming I did not asked if there is anything else to do, I would have left the dealer with only an oil change. I’m also surprised that the tech guy instead of saying, “anything else for today” he should have said “there is this service to be done at 24k kilometers and since you are at 23.3k now would you like to do it today”?

I guess I have to rely on the dealer and ask every time I go if there is anything more to be done.

Yes they do have specials like “The Works” here which is pretty good deal if it happens when you need this kind of service

There is generally no relationship between the maintenance packages that dealers offer and what is actually required. Some dealers still recommend 3K mile oil changes.

Go by the manual and tell the dealer what you want done based on what the manual says or whatever you want done. You don't have to buy the packages - they can be loaded with lots of labor for "inspections" and unnecessary services.

• Like 1

For services not listed, you do have to take the initiative. Assume old-time rules are in play. For example, for the brakes:

Inspect the brakes every time the wheels come off for rotation

Grease the caliper slide pins and de-rust any brake parts when pads/rotors are changed.

Flush the brake fluid every 30,000 miles, ideally; at a minimum when pads/rotors are changed

• 3 weeks later...