new owner - 2015 Edge Sport

ducrider

Hello all, just thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself. I'm 58, male, and from Scottsdale, Arizona. I've been driving Fords off and on for the past 30 years. I had a 2015 Focus ST on order, but it kept getting delayed, and my Fusion sold quickly..to the first person that looked at it and drove it. So I went a few weeks riding the motorcycle and driving a borrowed Jeep, until I finally decided I needed to take something off my dealer's inventory.

Now, I haven't owned a car with an automatic transmission since I sold my 1997 Oldsmobile. Every car, truck and SUV since then has been a stick, but it's getting more and more difficult to find one, and certainly dealer inventories were limited.

So my criteria was: four door, ability to haul hockey gear and building materials (not at the same time), interesting powertrain, unique styling, better than average suspension.

So there it was, a 2015 Edge Sport, with a Vista roof, but otherwise without all the new-fangled electronics...and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Long story short, I took delivery on Saturday the 25th. It hadn't been on the lot more than a week. So far (in no particular order): very quiet, composed ride, comfy seats, good (but not neck snapping) acceleration, a bit of torque steer but certainly not a major concern, HD radio sounds better than Sirius, back to a higher driving position than the Fusion is nice, too many white CUVs SUVs on the road around me, mileage is creeping up (21.0 after today's freeway commute), it's going to be very difficult to match the Fusion's 1.6 EB - 6 speed manual 33 MPG and finally, thought the LED signature lights were on all the time with the ignition, but I don't think that's the case...disappointed about that.

I'm already missing my manual trans, and find myself playing with the MFT more than I used to. Hopefully not to my demise.

Overall, a very nice ride. I test drove the MKC, and I'm much happier with the Edge Sport, if anyone cares.

I'll log in from time to time as we move on together. In the meantime, I'll just lurk and read all your other posts.

Cheers!

post-35190-0-81375900-1430281847_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, ducrider, congrats on your (unintended) '15 Sport! There are paddle shift options nowadays, but nothing quite like the feeling of rowing through the gears :)

Hopefully you will avg out in the high mid 20's once the Edge is broken in, not too far from the Fusion. Have you tried the Sport mode on the Edge yet to see if acceleration is any better? Do you have AWD or FWD? I'm sure a tune will make a major difference to the way it eats up the asphalt ;)

As far as the LED sig lights, wonder if that is a DRL thing that needs to be switched on by the dealer?

BTW, you have a Ducati?

I've mentioned before that I'm not a huge fan of white or a huge fan of the black grille, but put them both together and a white sport looks pretty sweet!

I'm curious if you've ever been to the Barrett Jackson auction in January. PM me about it if you care to elaborate... (My husband and I would like to go to it some year.)

Ducrider, I just picked up my special order Sport on Monday. Switching the 4-position lamp switch to "autolamps" apparently turns on the lights outlining the scoops at the corners at the bottom of the front fenders. Looks smart from what I saw reflected in a store window. Unless the Edge was a fleet order, DRLs are not an option. Good luck with the new car. My wife and I really like ours.

• Like 1

Ducrider, I just picked up my special order Sport on Monday. Switching the 4-position lamp switch to "autolamps" apparently turns on the lights outlining the scoops at the corners at the bottom of the front fenders. Looks smart from what I saw reflected in a store window. Unless the Edge was a fleet order, DRLs are not an option. Good luck with the new car. My wife and I really like ours.

The LED "signature" lights come on with the ignition and are not able to be turned off. There is a DRL option in the left cluster menu which uses the bulbs to the inside of the headlights (appears to be high-beams but are not). The DRL's turn on with the headlight switch in the auto position and the vehicle in gear. Page 83 of the owners manual.

Edited by Magnetic Edge
  • Like 2

Hello all, and thanks for the welcome and responses! My Sport is FWD, not as much need for AWD here in Arizona. I'm sure if I was still living in the Detroit area, I would want AWD.

Re: Sport mode, I have not experimented with that...yet. Curious to see what all it does, i.e. tighten the steering? Or just change shift points. Either way, I'm not disappointed in the acceleration, just still missing the driving experience of the manual.

Re: the DRLs, my attenuated high beams come on when I program DRLs through the control panel. I know the LEDs come on when the headlights come on, but not independently. Maybe the dealer ordered mine through fleet? I hate to sound like a snob, but there are a lot of high end cars around where I live, and it seems like every Lexus, Infinity, Cadillac, MB, etc. uses the LEDs as running lights. Thought mine would too.

My dealer had a Tuxedo Black Edge sport on the showroom floor, and it disappeared almost immediately. Black is a rough color here in Arizona. What I haven't seen yet is the Spice color, and I suspect had I ordered mine, that would have been the choice. I just love being a contrarian (thus the desire for a stick?)

To Jackie, and anyone else who cares, yes Barrett Jackson is a great event. Certainly one full day, opening to close. Best early in the week before some cars get sold and moved. Bring your walking shoes, and lots of cash for lunch. What I enjoy the most, though is not the auction itself. I love walking the acres of old cars and seeing all the detail, color and differentiation in all the vehicles. I'm still amazed by the huge steel fenders with complex curves, and think about all the stamping processes needed. As well as the cast metal, chrome plated grills, and all the detail there. And then finally remember they changed every year just for the sake of design. Amazing.

Last but not least WWWPerfA-ZN0W, I used to own a beautiful 1993 Ducati 907 i.e. (Yes they made a '93, and it was the best of the breed). Problems arose trying to meet Phoenix area emissions however. We tried all sorts of fuel injection adjustments, engine management chips, etc, and she always ran too dirty to pass. So I had to ride it illegally for a while. When I tired of that I sold her to a very admiring guy from out of state. I hope he still enjoys it. I now ride a 2007 Buell XB12Ss and it's a great machine, just without the Italian charm. I may get another Duc some day.

• Like 2