What engine temp does your 3.5 Edge average?

briandye

Ever since my overheating scare, I've got the Ultra-Gauge and watched my temp like a hawk.

I never had the device before it overheated, so I don't know what the temp used to run at. Someone on the forum told me about 180-190 and up to 200 idling with the AC on.

This doesn't describe my Edge at all.

I go right up to about 210, and it varies depending on what I'm doing and what's on, it varies from about 203-228.

It makes no sense, so bear with me.

Driving with no heat/AC on no matter what speed, it hits anywhere from 205ish, up to 228ish. Usually the lower of the two.

Driving with the heat on, it stays around 218-228, usually the higher of the two.

Driving with the AC on, it stays lower, around 210-216ish.

Once I come to a stop, the temp drops to the lower 200's. (My drive is about 33 miles each way, only 2 miles are not highway)

The speed doesn't really play a factor, it's either moving or stopped.

Moving = higher temps, sitting = lower temps.

Fans are always on full blast when I stop and get out.

Temp gauge on the dash never goes past the middle, heat blows hot, AC blows cold. New thermostat this past winter and new radiator tank cap. Recent coolant drain and fill, with G05 gold stuff. Drained some out the past day and added about a gallon of distilled water, hoping maybe I just had too much coolant to water.

Any other ideas or things I could check? Or is this somehow normal...?

Tumbleweed city ...

Sounds like the cooling system in your Edge has an obstruction (squeeze the hoses when ambient and note how they feel), or a lack of flow due to water pump failure or failed sensors, among other possibilities. This is what the FSM lists as possibilities:

• Low coolant level
  • External engine coolant leak
  • Airlock in system
  • Pressure relief cap installation
  • Restricted airflow through the A/C condenser/radiator
  • Internal engine coolant leak
  • Coolant condition/concentration
  • Accessory drive components
  • Non-OEM engine enhancement components
  • Electric cooling fan (if equipped)
  • Mechanical cooling fan (if equipped)
  • Mechanical cooling fan clutch (if equipped)
  • Radiator
  • Thermostat
  • Engine coolant temperature indicator system (gauge)
  • Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor (if equipped)
  • Cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor (if equipped)
  • Heater core
  • Coolant pump
  • Coolant flow restriction

Squeeze them when they're "cold?"

I'll try that. What am I feeling for? When they're warm/hot they don't feel odd, but then again I don't spend too much time squeezing other cars hoses ;)

I feel like an idiot, I dropped my coolant to water ratio which I thbnk I mentioned above, and completely forgot to look at my temp until I got home, which was at 210. So it might have actually helped since it's normally 220+ when I get home.

I don't feel like it's the water pump, because I feel like when driving it would get cooler since the engine rpms would make it flow more, and then at idle it would get warmer.

I'll post back tomorrow when I drive to work and see what the temps average. I want to drain the whole damn system but it seems like quite a task with this sealed system or pressurized whatever it's called. Did them on my Explorers and other older vehicles no problem, but these damn new cars are crazy.

After roughly a gallon drained out of the radiator and refilled with distilled water, im not seeing the 228 temps anymore, stays between 210-218 so im gonna buy some more water today and switch some more out.

Leaning towards a complete flush since there's some green still in the system

Might be a dumb question- when you use one of those prestone coolant ratio testers, when the needle floats all the way up (indicating a very high boil over protection, and very low temp freeze protection) would that indicate too much coolant?

Hopefully that makes sense?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After roughly a gallon drained out of the radiator and refilled with distilled water, im not seeing the 228 temps anymore, stays between 210-218 so im gonna buy some more water today and switch some more out.

Leaning towards a complete flush since there's some green still in the system

Any chance you might have put in a high temperature thermostat?