If Reliability is Main Concern...2.0 EcoBoost or 3.5 V6?

I am planning to get a 2016 Titanium, and trying to decide which engine to get.

I know Ford has been making EcoBoosts for a decent amount of time, but is there anything from a realiability standpoint that would/should cause a buyer to lean towards the V6 (even at a lower MPG, etc) over the EcoBoost? You can always find articles about turbos going out and the expense of the repair. Just trying to understand if there is something inherently more prone to the EcoBoost tech that might sway me away from it.

Why did you choose the EcoBoost or the V6?

Haven't owned a Ford before, looking forward to getting an Edge relatively soon.

Thx

• 3 weeks later...

I can't speak to long term durability, but went with the 3.5L in the '15 Edge SEL AWD we drove home from the dealer yesterday, car now has about 50 miles on it!

The 3.5L burns regular gas, even though FMC says the Ecoboost engines can burn 87 octane regular, most websites claim it needs premium. My wife will drive the Edge and HATES to spend the extra $$ for premium. So the 3.5L was the logical choice.

The EcoBoost runs perfectly well on regular (87 octane) pump gas. We put 15,000 miles on ours before trading it in. Never once put anything other than regular gas in it and it never gave us a moment's trouble. There were plenty of other reasons we grew to hate the Edge but the engine was never one of them.

• Like 1

The EcoBoost runs perfectly well on regular (87 octane) pump gas. We put 15,000 miles on ours before trading it in. Never once put anything other than regular gas in it and it never gave us a moment's trouble. There were plenty of other reasons we grew to hate the Edge but the engine was never one of them.

HATE is a really strong word, only vehicle I've ever HATED was my old '74 Chevy LUV. Soured me on GM and Japanese cars/trucks both.

15,000 miles is not a lot in my opinion. I'm curious what model year your Edge was and what exactly you HATED about it. I'd assume a '15 since this is a '15 forum but doubt you had 15,000 miles on a vehicle since March when '15's started appearing on dealers lots.

I have an engine in my old commuter car that has most of the features of the EcoBoost, turbo, intercooled, variable valve timing on intake & exh., EFI, Has just over 135,000 miles, runs better, harder, better mpg on 93 octane and almost as good on 91 octane. 87 octane it runs like I have a half ton of junk in the trunk, mpg suffers enough to justify spending the extra on 91 octane.

Hate was exactly the word I was looking for because detest was just a little too strong. We had a '13 Edge Limited EcoBoost for not quite 18 months. During that time we put on a little over 15,000 miles. We also had the entire steering system (rack, pump, reservoir and hoses) replaced four times to correct a groaning noise during left turns that returned six months later. MyFord Touch is the most pathetic excuse for a user interface I've ever seen in a car... SYNC I can live with (I have it in my Mustang) despite its tendency to be disobedient. The seats were not particularly comfortable and made of some excuse for leather. Seven (count 'em, seven) recall notices. Marginal lighting and no fog lights. I could go on...

It also had it's high points. It's a good looking vehicle with more interior space than you would expect for its size. The ride was comfortable yet the handling was decent. The turbo four had plenty of pep and was capable of reaching the EPA rated mileage if you could resist putting your foot in it. We never felt the need to use higher octane because it ran so well on regular. But the other annoyances had us looking for excuses to drive another vehicle and when the steering noise returned, that was the last straw. We got rid of it within two weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with the 3.5L V6 as I tow a boat during the summer months on the regular. Picked up the 2015 Edge Titanium a few weeks ago and already have 2000k on it. I guess for me the V6 is tried tested and true, it was the stock engine in the Ford F150, which was previously used in the Mustang.

I went with the 3.5L V6 as I tow a boat during the summer months on the regular. Picked up the 2015 Edge Titanium a few weeks ago and already have 2000k on it. I guess for me the V6 is tried tested and true, it was the stock engine in the Ford F150, which was previously used in the Mustang.

Not exactly... the V6 in recent Mustangs (2011+) has been the 305hp Ti-VCT 3.7L Cyclone engine. It's in the same Duratec family as the 3.5L but it had the twin independent variable cam timing a few years earlier.

Not exactly... the V6 in recent Mustangs (2011+) has been the 305hp Ti-VCT 3.7L Cyclone engine. It's in the same Duratec family as the 3.5L but it had the twin independent variable cam timing a few years earlier.

Both, the 3.5 & 3.7 got the twin independent variable can timing in 2011 in the Edge, Edge Sport, F150 & MKX.

The Edge's 3.5 is basically the same from 2011 & is carried over to the 2015 model unchanged.

The F150 used to have the 3.7 from 2011-2014 & changed to the 3.5 in 2015.

My mistake... I was looking at the Flex and Taurus still using the older 3.5 version until the 2013 model year. I forgot about the Ti-VCT version being used in other models starting in 2011. But the 3.5L has never come in a Mustang.

Edited by TheWizard

Like anything else...those who like, those who do not like the same thing...

I test drove an Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost. Plenty of power under throttle, but felt under powered for normal driving.

The new 2.0 in the Edge is very different. "In addition to the unique twin-scroll turbocharger, the 2.0-liter EcoBoost now features new pistons that provide a higher, more efficient compression ratio (going from 9.3:1 to 9.7:1); a newly designed, integrated exhaust manifold optimized for the twin-scroll setup; a new active oil control system; an active wastegate to more accurately manage boost and torque levels; and a new, high-pressure direct-injection fuel system for more precise fuel delivery." There's more at http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages/Ford%E2%80%99s%20Twin-Scroll%202-0-Liter%20EcoBoost%20Engine%20Debut.aspx

• Like 2

• 1 year later...