Edge not starting in heat.

di2013

• 6 months later...

I live in Las Vegas and I am having this problem with my 2007 edge. I've had the battery, spark plugs and fuel pump replaced in the last week in Idaho. I come home and it's 100+ and it takes a good 15-20 seconds to start. It does start though but the hotter it is an the longer it sits the more problem it is. It sounds like a fuel issue. Is there a separate filter maybe?

I live in Las Vegas and I am having this problem with my 2007 edge. I've had the battery, spark plugs and fuel pump replaced in the last week in Idaho. I come home and it's 100+ and it takes a good 15-20 seconds to start. It does start though but the hotter it is an the longer it sits the more problem it is. It sounds like a fuel issue. Is there a separate filter maybe?

No separate fuel filter, per se. There is a screen directly attached to the fuel pump inside the tank. Does it crank at normal speed in the heat though? Usually some kind of vapor lock would be blamed for this in times past. Is it possible the battery has already gone bad? Check not only voltage but CCAs on the new battery. Sometimes the starter is known to die in the kind of heat you get out there in NV and AZ. May be a symptom of a failing starter.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 2013 ford edge limited and I am having trouble out of it not starting when it gets hot outside. I can roll the windows down for about 30 min. Then it will start all the research I've done leads to the ignition switch. Has anyone installed one? I do not have the push button start.

I have a 2013 ford edge limited and I am having trouble out of it not starting when it gets hot outside. I can roll the windows down for about 30 min. Then it will start all the research I've done leads to the ignition switch. Has anyone installed one? I do not have the push button start.

Could you post a few links to this research you did?

When you turn the key on your hot-soaked car, does the instrument cluster gauges respond, the warning indicators light? (Ignition switch controls them as well).

Edited by enigma-2

• 3 weeks later...

WWWPerfA_ZN0W,

I think it's more than just the Edge. I've been told ignition grounding is weak because of safety precautions to isolate the clock spring. This problem isn't common but it's not rare either on F150's and light duty 250's.

enigma-2,

If this is the same problem as the trucks than the instrument cluster works normally. Everything seems to work normally except it doesn't crank.

Edited by I'manedgeowner

Sorry for the delay in replying. When the vehicle sits in the hot sun, temps close to 100F, I will get all my correct lights on the dash, stereo works fine, but when I go to turn it over, nothing....just nothing. No clicks, its not the starter. Open all the doors and pray for a breeze. After 15-30min it starts right up.

This is the model with key start on the dash.

• 9 months later...

Finally I found the the issue. The issue is in the shift that connect the cylinder switch with the  ignition switch. So the  ignition switch for the MKZ and the Ford Edge is crap and made from plastic, if the shift (made also from plastic) did not engage completely with  ignition switch, the car will not start and will not make any sound, even though all the dashboard light working and radio working. To solve this issue is more easer than you think.

after remove the ignition switch, there is a black shift that have half circle grove. Cut papers  like a halve circle and put it in the shift grove. How many paper and the thickness of the paper is important. I putted 5 halve circle papers. So those papers will make the shift longer, which make the ignition work bettter. 

I hope this will save people money and time. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I have exactly the same problem with my 2012 MKX. The car starts normally with no problem in a cold or cloudy weather. However, in a sunny and very hot weather, the car will never start until the weather gets cooler or after the sunset. I took the car to a dealer to diagnose the issue using a computer inspection. He did the inspection and the computer diagnoses two issues PCM and ignition switch. He said it could be one of them. He recommended me to start with replacing the PCM and if this did not solve the problem then jump to the second and replace the ignition switch. Did anyone have the same issue and after replacing the ignition switch everything went well? 

1 hour ago, Abdullah Alghamdi said:

I have exactly the same problem with my 2012 MKX. The car starts normally with no problem in a cold or cloudy weather. However, in a sunny and very hot weather, the car will never start until the weather gets cooler or after the sunset. I took the car to a dealer to diagnose the issue using a computer inspection. He did the inspection and the computer diagnoses two issues PCM and ignition switch. He said it could be one of them. He recommended me to start with replacing the PCM and if this did not solve the problem then jump to the second and replace the ignition switch. Did anyone have the same issue and after replacing the ignition switch everything went well? 

To me it sounds like that dealer lacks the skills to properly diagnose the issue - if possible find another dealer or make a deal with that one that if his parts replacement doesn't resolve the issue, NO PAY.

Please add your model, 2012 MKX, and location to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...