Water Leak! Help!

built2prfctn

Hopefully this issue has been fully resolved on all new builds. I'm still awaiting a build date for our new 2015 Edge SEL. It's been 11 weeks and no build date yet.

An interesting note though as it looks like Ford did make some changes in late May/June

"Beginning with 2015 models built after May 2015, the door hinge pillar was reinforced to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes. (Information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on the driver door or adjacent B-pillar.) The tested Edge was built after this change was made on the assembly line."

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/edge-4-door-suv

Edited by CND_EDGE

• 3 weeks later...

My car has been in the shop so far two times to repair this problem for a total of two weeks. Now I am taking it in again in the morning for the same issue. We just picked it up for the second time telling us it was fixed. My car has sat soaking wet now for over a month. This is the 4th time it has been in the shop.

So now after three attempts at fixing the problem and removing the front drivers side quarter panel and messing the alignment of my door up I find more water getting in. Now this is 4 times to the shop to fix a now rusting car with fewer then 3000 miles on it. The Ford rep from the USA did contact me and told me it is not their problem to take it up with the dealer. Last time I looked my car was a Ford Motor Company built problem not a locally built dick up. I will be returning in the morning with my still wet and molding car to the Dealer and starting the arbitration process one way or the other since they couldn't fix it the first three times. It is my right in Kentuchy to a lemon law vehicle and I plan on pursuing it till I get my 36000 dollars back from them!!!!

Edited by mqoa2005
  • Like 1

Tomorrow will mark 21 weeks that I have been without my car and in a rental......21 WEEKS!!!! This is the biggest sham in the history of the automobile. Not to worry though, they are buying it back and for my troubles, all 21 weeks of them.....a whopping $2500 towards an upgrade. Although that was almost 2 months ago and I'm still driving a rental and making payments on a car I haven't seen since June 15th. This is criminal!

The lemon law route wasn't available to you? No replacement vehicle, only buyback? Your payments should have been forgiven/refunded. I'd insist on it.

Yea his post is hard to understand.

Is he getting a replacement with a $2500 allowance but they haven't processed it yet?

Are they paying him back for his payments and then offering a $2500 incentive to purchase another?

My car has been in the shop so far two times to repair this problem for a total of two weeks. Now I am taking it in again in the morning for the same issue. We just picked it up for the second time telling us it was fixed. My car has sat soaking wet now for over a month. This is the 4th time it has been in the shop.

This makes me wonder if it is possible to seal the area that was missed / improperly sealed during initial assembly? Seems like the dealer applied post assembly sealant is not really doing a lasting job. Time will certainly tell the tale on that!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my edge back after another week long sit at the dealership. During this time I was contacted by Kimberly from Ford Customer Service about my car and the fact that i asked for Ford to but it back or give me a new one. The Dealer had to remove the driverside front quarter panel to do the repairs this time. We have had a little rain for a few hours and the floor is not wet but there is rust forming on the Steering colum coupling at the floor board now. Ford called tonight to inform me they will not buy back my car and now the other problems are up to the local dealer. So I guess I take my car back to the dealer to fix the new issues that are related to the original one.

What a crock of XXXT.

Edited by mqoa2005

I finally got my edge back after another week long sit at the dealership. During this time I was contacted by Kimberly from Ford Customer Service about my car and the fact that i asked for Ford to but it back or give me a new one. The Dealer had to remove the driverside front quarter panel to do the repairs this time. We have had a little rain for a few hours and the floor is not wet but there is rust forming on the Steering colum coupling at the floor board now. Ford called tonight to inform me they will not buy back my car and now the other problems are up to the local dealer. So I guess I take my car back to the dealer to fix the new issues that are related to the original one.

What a crock of XXXT.

Lemon Law

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - New member here and forums neophyte so I'll apologize ahead of time for any etiquette flaws. Thanks for all of the helpful info here.

I am not yet an Edge owner but soon hope to be, it is a really nice crossover. I'm a high mileage driver so I WAS looking to find a gently used 2015 to save some bucks but now am having second thoughts on that. Based on some posts that indicate there are affected units past the alleged 4/28 cutoff build date I have a couple of questions:

- Has anyone heard of any other later build units (beyond 4/28) that have had this issue but not reflected here on this thread?

- For the Etis site, will an Edge built after the 4/28 date show the "15B21 - A PILLAR WATER LEAK INSPECTION AND REPAIR" in the Outstanding Field Service Actions section?

- Again, for the Etis site, if a vehicle has had the repair will that repair show as completed or will the OFSA simply be blank?

Thanks.

Hello - New member here and forums neophyte so I'll apologize ahead of time for any etiquette flaws. Thanks for all of the helpful info here.

I am not yet an Edge owner but soon hope to be, it is a really nice crossover. I'm a high mileage driver so I WAS looking to find a gently used 2015 to save some bucks but now am having second thoughts on that. Based on some posts that indicate there are affected units past the alleged 4/28 cutoff build date I have a couple of questions:

- Has anyone heard of any other later build units (beyond 4/28) that have had this issue but not reflected here on this thread?

- For the Etis site, will an Edge built after the 4/28 date show the "15B21 - A PILLAR WATER LEAK INSPECTION AND REPAIR" in the Outstanding Field Service Actions section?

- Again, for the Etis site, if a vehicle has had the repair will that repair show as completed or will the OFSA simply be blank?

Thanks.

- I have not seen any other reports of vehicles built after 4/28 having leaking issues beyond what has been reported in this thread.

- No

- Blank. It cleared out once I had it performed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

While I am new to this forum we are not new to Ford, we have been long time Ford car/truck owners. We have purchased 7 from the same dealership and never a problem, that was until we purchased the 2015 Ford Edge SEL July 2015. During this time we thought we were smelling something but couldn't put our finger on it. The interior is a dark color with dark heavy duty (ford) floor mats throughout. Late March of 2016 it had a very bad mold/mildew odor. While we could not see anything when we started feeling around we discovered that the floor areas on the drivers side front and passenger were saturated with water pooled around your hand when you put it on the floor after removing mats. That night my husband did some searching on line and found a Consumer Report article Dated July 15, 2015 that Ford had an issue with 2015 Edge manufactured before April 28, 2015 and that they were suspending sales of all Fords until dealers had done a water check. So When we called our dealership the next day we were transferred to the Body Shop we were told our car was not in that production series and that they had several other cars ahead of us and we would have to wait for a loaner he would call us back in a week. Well a week came and went and not call, so end of March I was taking our 2010 F-150 info annual inspection and oil change. I asked the service manager who I needed to speak to about the Edge, he asked the issue and when I told him the facts and the fact we were waiting for a call back he said he would take care of it. Which apparently he did as my husband text me while I was in the waiting area for my truck that the body shop had called him back and they could get it in the next day. Imagine that. They had the car for 21 days they removed the doors on both sides, the dashboard disconnected the a/c removed all flooring and materials sealed and put back together. They had fixed the leak they said. Less than 2 weeks after having it back (and the first rain) it is leaking again, so we call them, again we have to wait for a loaner. This time the leak was in a different place they gentleman from the body seemed please that he had found it because they had to put the vehicle on an angle to find it. When he called he asked my husband if our driveway is sloped. Really?? What does that have to do with it. There in nothing that states the vehicle is to stay in a flat position. Well they "fixed it" and did another test to find another leak. This visit they have found 3 additional leaks, which had them removing the windshield as well as the fender. During this time I sent an email to the owner of the dealership with our concerns about this vehicle and requesting that they take it back. Sadly the email was returned undeliverable. When I called the dealership to get the email address (that I obtained from them to begin with) they gave me the same address and I told them it was return so they said "try" this one. Really? you don't know the email address to your company president? So today I forwarded my initial email as well as faxed it and sent certified mail return receipt. As of yet I have heard nothing from them. We did however get a call from the body shop informing us that the car would be ready after 1pm and that the manager was in until 2:30. Now we both work and neither of us close to where our car currently is. I am driving the loaner, so I called the bodyshop and informed them that I can't leave work in the middle of the day to meet his schedule. I could be there at 5pm today. He said he saw my email to the owner and assured me that the leak(s) where fixed. I reminded him that he has told us that 4 other times. As of today we still have not received any assurances from the dealership or Ford that they will stand behind the product and we will be protected past any warrantee period should we have rust, electrical problems etc due to the poor construction of this vehicle. Today we will be without use of the vehicle 29 days. Coincidence? New York State Lemon Law states you have to be without the use for cumulative 30 days. I say yes, and I say I will have it back. I wish Ford could do the right thing by all of us and take them back this was not the deal we all bought into. They may think this is the end, but it is not. I will for sure get the assurances we are owed or they will take the vehicle back end of story. I have read my rights. I am tired of playing nice. I thought Ford was different unlike all the other manufactures guess I was wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

I fould this on Ford's Etis system. I have a leaky 2015 Edge Titanium, which is scheduled to be looked at today,

Outstanding Field Service Actions

15B21 - A-PILLAR WATER LEAK INSPECTION AND REPAIR
From what I understand, 'Field Service Action' is a manditiory repair. Not quite as compelling as a TSB, but indicates that Ford is well aware of a defect on the 2015 Edge.
I will share the outcome with you all after the dust settles post dealer visit today.
Cheers !

So what happened with your Edge?

Your issue sounds different from what we dealt with last summer.

well i contacted the local ford customer service representative and I have now been assigned a case number. They were very quick to tell me Ford would not buy the car back and that they do not offer extended warrantees for leaks. So were does this leave us? They say they will work with us to come to an agreeable compensation, but I want a new car so how does that work? They still have it, now 48 days total. It is leaking and they can't find where it is coming in. They have repaired 3 different locations pulled the fender off the windshield out etc not to mention replacing flooring 2 times now. I am to receive a call Monday 6/6 before the end of business to update me on the vehicle. We continue to drive a loaner that we pay excess insurance on, not to mention a car payment and sirius radio that we don't use or have in the loaner. At some point I guess we will need to find a attorney in NYS that specializes in the Lemon Law. Clearly we have one. I am so disappointed in Ford I am not sure that I will ever purchase another Ford vehicle. Sad because we have always been big ford owners.

To be continued.

well i contacted the local ford customer service representative and I have now been assigned a case number. They were very quick to tell me Ford would not buy the car back and that they do not offer extended warrantees for leaks. So were does this leave us? They say they will work with us to come to an agreeable compensation, but I want a new car so how does that work? They still have it, now 48 days total. It is leaking and they can't find where it is coming in. They have repaired 3 different locations pulled the fender off the windshield out etc not to mention replacing flooring 2 times now. I am to receive a call Monday 6/6 before the end of business to update me on the vehicle. We continue to drive a loaner that we pay excess insurance on, not to mention a car payment and sirius radio that we don't use or have in the loaner. At some point I guess we will need to find a attorney in NYS that specializes in the Lemon Law. Clearly we have one. I am so disappointed in Ford I am not sure that I will ever purchase another Ford vehicle. Sad because we have always been big ford owners.

To be continued.

Don't agree to ANYTHING regarding compensation from Ford unless they will buy it back. At this point I'd contact a Lemon Law Lawyer because you qualify if they've had it that long.

I'd have a hard time buying another Ford if Ford did that to me. 48 days without a fix I'd expect a buy back.

• Like 1

Don't agree to ANYTHING regarding compensation from Ford unless they will buy it back. At this point I'd contact a Lemon Law Lawyer because you qualify if they've had it that long.

I'd have a hard time buying another Ford if Ford did that to me. 48 days without a fix I'd expect a buy back.

What makes it even worse, we have purchased 7 of the 9 Ford Vehicles we have owned from the same dealership, you would think loyalty mattered but I guess not. Guess we should have bought the mercedes we were looking at.