who here wants a check list of what to inspect on new vehicle

First thing you do before signing papers.

Test drive vehicle

1. Windows up down

2. Radio

3.sync touch screen works

4. Heater funtions including seat

5. Test key fob

6 make sure all the lights on vehicle work

7. Check shifter in all positions including paddles

8. Steering wheel controls

9 check brakes to see if spongy

10. Emergency brake

11. Buttons for all doors work including buttons by lift gate for fold down back seats

12. Seat adjustment buttons

13. Listen for rattles

14. Check all fluids

15. Make sure wipers and washer fluid squirters work.

This all for driving next list is for fit and finish

Edited by sideswipe
  • Like 2

Hm where to start

1. Stand at back of vehicle and look to see if everything is flush nothing sticking out on either side of the vehicle

2 check for bent or scratched applique on each door

3. Check each door for rattles

4 rubber molding should overlap all trim pieces including lift gate

5. Door sills should be firm to floor push down to see if it moves.

6. Look at all the windows for chips scratches or cracks

7. Check headliner for hand prints or

dirt

8.look at all your seats for rips or deformity

9. Look at carpet for fit

10. Look at gaps around doors hood and lifteget

Make sure all even best is use finger and look.

11. Open front doors look how close it comes to fender.

12. Open back doors look how close it comes to front doors.

13. Rubber molding around doors make sure all push pins are secure just tug on each one

14. Use flash light at front fender by hood hinges looking back towards door should be sealer in there.

15. Look at roof for any deformity not many people do that one.

Will add more little later. When ever i think of something else will add to it.

Edited by sideswipe
  • Like 2

Our 2015 Edge SEL had dirty fingerprints on both sides of the dashboard. The only way I could get rid of them is to purchase a bottle of :

1Z Einsett Cockpit cleaner, and it took about 5 attempts to finally get rid of them. Also, the rear hatchback door is slightly misaligned, the right side of the rear hatch is closer to the body of the vehicle than the left side. There is probably about only 1/8 inch clearance in the gap on the right side between the rear hatch and body, hopefully it will not get any worse over time.

Other than that, everything else looks pretty good.

Working there they have alot of tests and

Tear downs trying to find problems. Some

Times problems dont show up until they

Build alot of vehicles. I cant tell you how

Many inspectors they have looking at

Each vehicle looking for flaws. Some

Times issues with vehicles get to the

Dealership and have them fix them.

As long as they get there numbers

Out the door at the plant thats what

Management cares about. They do

Catch alot of stuff in house but you

Are talking about 1200 vehicles

in a 24 hour period. Alot of car

Companies do this some are better

Than others at catching defects.

Are there any "lower priced" car companies doing a better job with defects? Better QC usually means more $$$.

I know Consumer Reports isn't the final word and Sync 2 dragged down Ford as it has been since 2011... But there are reliable cheap brands...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/10/27/consumer-reports-reliability-survey-infotainment-unrelaible/18008451/

Are there any "lower priced" car companies doing a better job with defects? Better QC usually means more $$$.

QC does not mean more $$$. You can be a very high quality company without spending a ton of money. Management has to be on board and willing to provide the resources/knowledge required. It has to become part of the culture.

Unfortunately I have yet to see it with the American car companies. It seems they spend more time on styling and bottom line while letting quality just kind of hang out there. Yes, quality has come a long way with the Big 3...but unfortunately they are still lagging behind a lot of their foreign competition who seem to take quality and customer service a bit more serious.

Right now reading about this leaking issue really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Ford. They know these things are leaking yet you don't see much information out there about it. You'd think Ford would not want these things to flood in the first place so they won't have to pay for repairs and possibly losing a lot of customers. But instead it seems they are too busy crunching numbers to see what this does for the bottom line vs. focusing on keeping these cars from becoming rolling kiddie pools.

Definitely, Ford should take a hard look at the design of these seals since this is obviously not a one-off issue. I am SURE they have done extensive testing, and would not have let it pass into production otherwise. BUT, now that this issue has been identified in the field, they should obviously pay to fix correctly, which may take time to diagnose and develop a solution deliverable to the customer. Offering to replace the vehicle is nice (as the problematic vehicles are lo mileage anyway) in the interim, but not necessarily a cure, as the replacements may also end up with a leak.

So some patience is required I would think on the part of the customer. At the very least get a nice rental while the Edge is in the shop to get properly fitted & fixed.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Definitely, Ford should take a hard look at the design of these seals since this is obviously not a one-off issue. I am SURE they have done extensive testing, and would not have let it pass into production otherwise. BUT, now that this issue has been identified in the field, they should obviously pay to fix correctly, which may take time to diagnose and develop a solution deliverable to the customer. Offering to replace the vehicle is nice (as the problematic vehicles are lo mileage anyway) in the interim, but not necessarily a cure, as the replacements may also end up with a leak.

So some patience is required I would think on the part of the customer. At the very least get a nice rental while the Edge is in the shop to get properly fitted & fixed.

I really don't think customers should be required to have any patience when it comes to a brand new vehicle that is only a month old. Or a few days old. This is why I don't like some dealers. They will say/do anything to get you to sign for a car. Because once it rolls off the lot, it is now your problem. Just like some that say their dealers have told them "my car was fixed and checked for the leak....the salesman says it is fine". I wouldn't believe that one bit.

But I understand Ford is watching the bottom line here to see what is the cheapest option. Which will mean some pissed off customers that they'll write off for future sales.

Do any of you guys work at a plant or for ford.

The ones posting negative responses.

I sure would hope not. But if it makes you all feel any better My wife's two Toyotas she's owned had some pretty bad problems before 100k miles... One, the power locks stopped working, and the trunk release, which was a physical cable broke, She also had an O2 sensor failure. On her current Toyota, her exhaust pipe cracked open and the clock no longer works, her lights have an "off" position, but it does nothing and you cannot turn them off when the car is running. On my Ford Ranger the EGR valve sensor broke twice in under 75k miles, that was super annoying. On my Chevy my throttle body position sensor broke at about 34k miles. I can't say that Toyota has some super amazing quality that US brands don't have.

Edited by cab2g

Do any of you guys work at a plant or for ford.

The ones posting negative responses.

Nope I don't. If I did, I probably wouldn't be very vocal here that is for sure. I'm sure they don't want us to know what actually goes down and the things they really find wrong that goes through production (and those are ones they catch).

One hopes new designs are fully vetted prior to release. But, the first few buyers will always be on the leading edge of the wave, for better or worse. You get to enjoy/brag about your vehicle first, but also usually get to discover problems first. Again, I don't wish this on anyone, and you should certainly follow up with your selling dealership, and Ford, as appropriate, and don't give up. I hope they will get the Engineers working on this issue pronto.

I am only a customer myself, and I understand this is a business, but I will not only advocate for Ford, but also "dog" them when needed to solve a problem that needs solving. Business is never about just business. It is a relationship based on trust, like anything else. Simple as that.

I really don't think customers should be required to have any patience when it comes to a brand new vehicle that is only a month old. Or a few days old.

One hopes new designs are fully vetted prior to release. But, the first few buyers will always be on the leading edge of the wave, for better or worse. You get to enjoy/brag about your vehicle first, but also usually get to discover problems first. Again, I don't wish this on anyone, and you should certainly follow up with your selling dealership, and Ford, as appropriate, and don't give up. I hope they will get the Engineers working on this issue pronto.

I am only a customer myself, and I understand this is a business, but I will not only advocate for Ford, but also "dog" them when needed to solve a problem that needs solving. Business is never about just business. It is a relationship based on trust, like anything else. Simple as that.

Agree.

Luckily I don't have the leaky seal issue on my Edge. I just feel for those that do. And I'm watching it closely to see how Ford handles it. Because like you said, it is a relationship built on trust. And if they want to be trusted, they need to step up and handle the issue. Not secretly. Say hey there is a problem, we know, we'll fix it, and do this for now.

• Like 1

What they dont understand the more vehicles

You build the more problems you run into.

When ford runs into problems they have

special people to find the fix as quick as

Possible. You see how mine has the fix so

It didn't take them long at all to solve the

Problem. l

Edited by sideswipe

What they dont understand the more vehicles

You build the more problems you run into.

When ford runs into problems they have

special people to find the fix as quick as

Possible. You see how mine has the fix so

It didn't take them long at all to solve the

Problem. l

Are you positive it is fixed?

Because there are other members (or member I know at least 1 for sure) that had theirs "fixed" and it is still leaking.

Then we have reports that it isn't just one or two areas....there are a possible 14 areas they are looking at.

Just wish there was something official from Ford so people had some direction on what to do. But now we are seeing 1-2 new members a week signing up or popping in talking about "I have a leak and found this thread".