2011 edge passenger side door ajar

jimboca

Hello everyone,

any new info on the door ajar sensor issue?.

I have been holding off on repair (tried the WD40 didnt work) thinking there would be a recall.

To my knowledge there has not been.

anyone hear anything positive from Ford on this or any new suggested fix?

Im in LA area and dealer quoted me $580 to fix

Edited by jimboca

Attached is the latest Technical Service Bulletin. It involves a special tool to clean the door latch with it removed from the door. Best to keep your receipts in case in the future you might get refunded if it becomes a recall or gets an extended warranty.

TSB 14-0224 - TSB 14-0011 Door Ajar Lamp Remains Illuminated With Doors Closed.pdf

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

any new info on the door ajar sensor issue?.

I have been holding off on repair (tried the WD40 didnt work) thinking there would be a recall.

Several have reported success using an electrical contact cleaner.

Trick is knowing where to feed the straw into the latch to hit switch contacts.

WD40 worked on my old Sable, but doesnt appear to work on the Edge, MKX.

Do a search here in the forums. One fellow posted pictures of where to spray.

Another responded his was still good few months later.

uunfortunately we are on our own. the best thing to do is report it in the hopes that ford will make it a recall. other than cleaning, there was one member on here that had success using a magnetic switch to bypass the sensor. otherwise you have to take it to ford to clean and or replace the latch. i know tricia from ford reached out to members but it seems to be hit or miss. they were unable to help me and just got my edge from the dealership on my bill.

using brake cleaner has helped. not fixed but helped

Never heard of using brake cleaner, but several have reported good results using electric contact cleaner. Has to be sprayed directly on to the switch contacts. In a previous thread in these forums, one posted photos of exactly how/where to spray.

• 3 weeks later...

I have now joined the club with this issue. Started at around 60k miles, and now for approximately 4 months, mysterious openings of the rear hatch, alarm going off, door ajar light on - like the car was possessed. I've wondered if it was my inadvertent hitting of the rear door release on the fob instead of the lock button when I came out of a store to find the hatch up.

Anyway, I've researched the issue, found the cause, and found all sorts of DIY fixes. To date (spanning over 1 1/2 months) I've tried WD40 (no good) and the brake cleaner (hit or miss success). I've tried closing the driver's side with the passenger's door open, windows down, etc., in an attempt to relieve pressure when the door is closed. That too, hit or miss. Never tried electrical parts cleaner.

Finally got it into the dealer yesterday for repairs, and they have called to say it's been "repaired" it under TSB 15-0013 guidelines. I notified Ford of this problem for their documentation as well. I'll pick it up from the dealer later today.

I've read the TSB 15-0013 procedure (that has been discussed here in earlier posts), and it amounts to spraying a cleaner and actuating the switch 20 times while connected to a diagnostic tool. From what I have read from others experience, this may not be a permanent fix to a long standing and well know issue with the switch/latch mechanism.

I am not happy with Ford's position and resolution to this known defect. I have an ESP, so it will cost me the $100 deductible for what I believe will not fix the problem long term. Only a full latch replacement will do that.

I am posting this in advance of getting my Edge back on the road. But there have been so many documented problems with these switches, I wanted to alert others to my experience going to the dealer and the process there to continue the dialog that may be of help to others.