A6 does not know where I am

Purchased a used/leased 2012 Edge September 2015.

Had dealer update Sync version to most recent and purchase A6 (previous v. was A1).

If I set a destination and at some point cancel the trip the map puts my location blocks or miles from my current location, no rhyme or reason. If I then set another trip, say Home, the map updates fine, map looks good, trip proceeds fine to my home location.

Any tips here? Is it me, Sync, A6 or something else? Is this a dealer thing that they can do something about? It acts like the GPS is lost.

Purchased a used/leased 2012 Edge September 2015.

Had dealer update Sync version to most recent and purchase A6 (previous v. was A1).

If I set a destination and at some point cancel the trip the map puts my location blocks or miles from my current location, no rhyme or reason. If I then set another trip, say Home, the map updates fine, map looks good, trip proceeds fine to my home location.

Any tips here? Is it me, Sync, A6 or something else? Is this a dealer thing that they can do something about? It acts like the GPS is lost.

Hi timh@rose.net,

Try the master reset that akirby suggested: http://owner.ford.com/sync-technology/perform-master-reset-sync-myford-touch Remove the SD card before attempting the reset.

Let me know how it goes.

Shaay

Edited by FordIVTteam

OK Will do the reset on Wednesday. Thanks for the note on ejecting the SD.

Just tonight I had the map displaying, no destination set, and at some point the icon for the car "strayed" off the road and showed to be about .5 miles from our "Home" setting when I parked at home.

A master reset will not solve what you describe. Sounds like you have what I had a couple years ago & many others- a faulty module/antenna configuration.

That is a dealer repair. I remember dealer trying to adjust or reprogram but then needing another day to replace, realign internal gps antenna so it would acquire more sats so it would display driving 2 streets over or through a river. There was a big discussion on this here and over at syncmy ride forums.

May need to search forum to find THAT thread- Maybe Akirby or Ford rep can assist.

Edited by drpepper

Just an update. Dealer service knows about this type of problem. Dealers says they want to do the master reset because they want to record some data during/after the reset. That this is a first step. Implied that from this they will know what to do.

When asked if this is something that can be fixed he said yes. So I will take it back in and see what they can do. Stay posted.

for those following this topic, I took the Edge to the dealer this morning just as the navigation was screwing up the worst I have seen. Left the car running until the service tech came out with someone else. By that time the car had been stationary and running for about 10 minutes and they quickly pointed to the no GPS symbol on the screen. A call from Ford about 30 minutes later to say it was the GPS antenna. Having read any number of different posts on this topic, I don't have a lot of confidence that this will forever solve the problem. I will note here if this does not fix the problem.

for those following this topic, I took the Edge to the dealer this morning just as the navigation was screwing up the worst I have seen. Left the car running until the service tech came out with someone else. By that time the car had been stationary and running for about 10 minutes and they quickly pointed to the no GPS symbol on the screen. A call from Ford about 30 minutes later to say it was the GPS antenna. Having read any number of different posts on this topic, I don't have a lot of confidence that this will forever solve the problem. I will note here if this does not fix the problem.

The GPS antenna is more than just an antenna, it's a module that does all the calculations and transmits the data to the APIM. It seems very likely to me that this fix will resolve your issue forever.

Agreed. See post 5. On my vehicle Ford needed to REPLACE & reprogram...they spent day trying to align /adjust to prove to Ford that it did indeed need replacing. On day 2 replaced/adjusted/programmed & whatever else they do but the GPS issue has been working fine ever since.

Now the reboot in background at ~20 hours & loose settings... that is another story that really pushes the boundary of incompetence or dishonesty.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/11852-ambient-lighting-problem-after-sync-update/

Edited by drpepper

Just returned from dealer. Set Home for the route back home but did make several turns off the route for 3 other stops I needed to do. In the past and today this type of deviation is what began the problems.

Several time after a stop it would show me a block or so away but it did catch up with my off route turns. So, lost where I was but found me.

At the turn for the road to my house it had had me on the correct street but I had to wait maybe 30 seconds for traffic to make left turn. Then it showed a different road layout ahead, gave me some turns I could not make and as I sit in the driveway, my Home, the GPS thinks I am about 1500 feet away from where I am, at a hospital.

Mine has done this since day one...no dealer would ever do anything about it. I was always told to wait for the next update. Seems to have gotten better over the many revisions of MFT but has NEVER gone away. We often get the X over GPS indicating it doesn't have a signal even though the view to the sky is clear and the satellite radio all function fine. At this point we don't rely on the crappy GPS we paid for and just use our phones. Such a waste of money, my wife wanted it because she thought it would be easier...so much for that.

So I was going to wait a few days and see if anything got better but a run to pick up something and quickly having the navigation put me in a field changed my mind. So I was able to arrive at Ford lost on the map.

For Ford, I give them some credit; they got the tech and first him then with me with him, driving around the area seeing how many ways it would go wrong. We returned to shop and he did an upload of the Sync software (said he also uploaded some features they I did not have). He tried several times but the car always responded that the update failed. He tried a different thumb drive, making sure nothing else was on it. It still failed but in all cases his PC, plugged into the car, showed that what he was uploading were there. The car system still reports that the upload today failed. We again went for a good drive, trying to get it to goof up but in no case did it fail.

I have to admit the symptoms after the replacement of the GPS box were just like the symptoms before the replacement. Makes me think I did not need the box. Or maybe I did need and Ford failed to upload new software after the install and they did not test it; they left that to me.

So as of now, 45 minutes after leaving Ford and using the navigation to home, it is working. Stay tuned. Hope this might help others.

Just a note which will probably piss off a few people, but it needs to be repeated:

The dealer is not Ford and Ford is not the dealer. Some dealers are better than others. There isn't much Ford can do if the dealer tech is incompetent and doesn't follow procedures.

Ford is definitely responsible for the quality of the software and the hardware and we all know they screwed the pooch on that one with MFT.

Just a note which will probably piss off a few people, but it needs to be repeated:

The dealer is not Ford and Ford is not the dealer. Some dealers are better than others. There isn't much Ford can do if the dealer tech is incompetent and doesn't follow procedures.

Ford is definitely responsible for the quality of the software and the hardware and we all know they screwed the pooch on that one with MFT.

This may be true but I was told not just by the dealer but also by Ford Corp that there was nothing more they could do and I had to wait for the rewrite. Which hasn't fixed all the issues obviously. I believe my contact at the time was Mario Ronda. So there is some truth to what you say but often Ford Corp is just as bad. In fact they way they handled this whole MFT thing left a lot of dealers in a tough spot. They had to handle constant complaints from their customers knowing there would be NO support from Corp.

There is a difference between "won't" do anything and "can't" do anything especially with software. They obviously put a lot of effort into bug fixes as evidenced by the number of releases the first 2 years, but there is a limit to how many bugs you can fix at one time and it's likely that every time they fixed 2 bugs they found another one due to how bad the original software was. At a certain point you can't afford to keep chasing it and you put your efforts into sync 3 and start over.

I have heard rumors that a MFT compatible version of sync 3 will be forthcoming and if so that should fix the vast majority of any outstanding MFT issues. That would be much easier than trying to support both sync 3 and MFT at the same time going forward.

• Like 1

There is a difference between "won't" do anything and "can't" do anything especially with software. They obviously put a lot of effort into bug fixes as evidenced by the number of releases the first 2 years, but there is a limit to how many bugs you can fix at one time and it's likely that every time they fixed 2 bugs they found another one due to how bad the original software was. At a certain point you can't afford to keep chasing it and you put your efforts into sync 3 and start over.

I have heard rumors that a MFT compatible version of sync 3 will be forthcoming and if so that should fix the vast majority of any outstanding MFT issues. That would be much easier than trying to support both sync 3 and MFT at the same time going forward.

Really? That RUMOR was mentioned YEARS ago and then repeated many times that the HARDWARE is different & no it is not happening. You even Guessed as to why we can't even get 3.7 on 2011 & 2012 models as incompatible issue when owners report back that "that" is not the case when dealer DID install 3.7 before it went away from ford Corp..

Sorry=dealer is issue- sorry=dealer is not but Ford corp ( hot line or Field service engineer) is

SAME difference

And Yes anyone can discipline staff or yank a franchise license when there is incompetence!

and HOPES yet again of some future update is really old at this point 5 +years after MFT release. Come on=- Most "issues" went away when FORD took the feature away! even the latest on v 3.7 REMOVING the send a downloaded contact address to NAV- cause the feature never worked correctly in 5 + years.

Sorry- you always seem to paint a smell like a rose picture

The A- nav car is clearly a issue with the GPS & needs a service fix

The ambient light , phone ringer, text ringer loosing settings after a reboot is clearly a hard ware issue that FORD corp incompetence to NOT pass on a fix to a dealer is showing!

Edited by drpepper

Not painting a rosy picture - just a realistic one. I've never argued that the software wasn't terrible but sometimes you make mountains out of molehills.

And you're confused again about what I said. I did not say the RUMOR was that sync 3 as is would be backwards compatible. It isn't due to the hardware differences (e.g. pinch to zoom won't work). What I said was I heard it mentioned that a new version of sync 3 might be made available to MFT vehicles which would include most of the new sync 3 features but that would work on the old hardware (so no pinch to zoom, e.g.). It would be a different version obviously. I only heard it mentioned once so it's not guaranteed but it makes sense from a long term support standpoint.

If you understand IT/Software development then what they're doing makes more sense.

Akirby...I don't deny Ford has rolled out updates but what I take issue to is how they have left customers stranded. I noted this problem to dealers and corporate while under warranty. But they never had a fix...then a TSB addresses the issue and I am no longer covered. So if I want the GPS I paid for to work properly I have to pay them more money. Another example of this is the ambient lighting issue.

But even if what you said is true about Sync3 this will become the next problem for MFT owners. There are known problems with the APIM, but by the time this new version comes out most will be out of their extended warranties. So when the corrected code still doesn't work owners will be stuck paying for parts that have been defective since day one.

I completely agree that problems like that should be fixed under warranty. Sometimes they extend the warranties - like the APIM, Focus transmissions, etc. - and sometimes they don't. But that's not unusual. Go find any older version of software and there is a known problems list that they aren't going to fix unless you upgrade to the newer version.

I think Ford has addressed 98% of the MFT problems with new software and extended APIM warranty. Unfortunately you seem to be in the 2% so it's understandable that you're upset about it.

ying yang 1

"MFT compatible version of sync 3 will be forthcoming and if so that should fix the vast majority of any outstanding MFT issues."

"I heard it mentioned that a new version of sync 3 might be made available to MFT vehicles which would include most of the new sync 3 features but that would work on the old hardware...I only heard it mentioned once so it's not guaranteed"

ying yang 2

"I've never argued that the software wasn't terrible" ..........."Ford has addressed 98% of the MFT problems"

Rosey picture???

Akirby...I don't deny Ford has rolled out updates but what I take issue to is how they have left customers stranded. I noted this problem to dealers and corporate while under warranty. But they never had a fix...then a TSB addresses the issue and I am no longer covered. So if I want the GPS I paid for to work properly I have to pay them more money. Another example of this is the ambient lighting issue.

But even if what you said is true about Sync3 this will become the next problem for MFT owners. There are known problems with the APIM, but by the time this new version comes out most will be out of their extended warranties. So when the corrected code still doesn't work owners will be stuck paying for parts that have been defective since day one.

Agree 2011 owner had 4 years warranty + 1 yr extended...( plus the ford 5 yr thing for all) and all coming to end and the issues are not being SOLVED and are being STALLED. Dealer NO HELP- doen't know how CSM NO HELP-- just says push dealer- FSE(field service engineer- the expert) NO HELP

the ford hot line- no help...SORRY NOT ROSEY & just INCOMPETENCE

And Akirby called on Ford help.(thanks but) ..the 2 Ford people here in the end- oh PM me- and then NO HELP- said you already contacted dealer & FSE- sorry can do any more even if you have incompetent help!

I would seriously doubt that anything remotely near this will be happening. MFT was based on Microsoft Windows and Sync 3 is based on a version of QNX.

Simply put, MFT is dead. They have already spent a huge amount of time trying to fix it and ended up removing flawed features (as a fix). That tells us that it can't be fixed and they have pulled the plug.

I - like everyone else- just want something that is broken-FIXED!

I- like everyone else- just want an HONEST straight answer.

vehicle designed to NAVIGATE should!I f not, FIX THE GPS

vehicle designed to allow Selections (color of light, sound of alert) is NOT designed to PURGE every 20 hours!

Frustrated that after several months of aggressively perusing this - there is no one at a high level that will step in and settle issue

Issue is FORD LACK OF TRUE RESPONSE --not that it is DEFINITE that we are in a bottom 2%

98% ; 2 % sorry NOT HELPING