New Sync Version (Gen2 - V3.8)

I installed the update and the only thing I noticed initially was loss of previous and favorite navigation destination. No biggie. However..... a new issue came to pass immediately. I'm still using an old Msoft Zune with podcasts on it. About half the time with a vehicle start, MFT re-indexes the player and I lose my place in whatever podcast I was listening to. With the slow FF function, it takes an unacceptable amount of time to get to the one hour mark of a two hour podcast. Also, after the re-indexing, the system immediately starts playing whatever podcast is indexed first. Customer support suggested I master reset both MFT and do a power off/on reset of the media player. Didn't seem to make any difference. If I had known what was "improved" about 3.8, I would have left the system as is, since you can't go back.

I'm narrowing the problem, I think? I'm thinking that MFS V3.8 takes longer to boot up than my previous version and if I turn the car off prior to completing the boot process, the system re-indexes the player and loses place. Last night, I filled the car with some good Colorado 1.729 gas. I had been listening to a 2 hr podcast as I pulled into the pump. When I finished, the wife and I decided to hit the ATM inside the station, so I started the car and drove directly to a parking spot in front of the station entry. Car probably wasn't running for more than 20-30 seconds, max. When we returned to the car, MFS booted up and sure enough, the system had lost its place in the podcast. This morning I repeated the sequence in the hopes of validating my suspicion. Sure, enough, it repeated. So, honestly, I'll repeat myself. There is always going to be plenty of examples where updates don't serve the greater good for all users. So, it begs the question of why can't Ford turn back an update? Why can't a dealer wipe MFS slick and reinstall with a version other than the latest. It's issues like this that turn off owners and take them away from an otherwise excellent product. This is my second Edge, the first being a 2008 SEL. Some will consider this a minor problem that should be overlooked. Well, guess what, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. I could think the same for some of the other issues, but even to them, sloppy system programming like this leads to loss customers. Lastly, while I'm on a roll, what's the feedback mechanism? Our dealers? I doubt it since when I explain an issue to them, the common response is a deer in the headlights look and not much else.

SweetCandyEdge...I had the same problem and Shay from IVT requested I run a vehicle health report then check back. It still didn't work for me so she suggested I go to the dealer to get it installed since they know about some VIN's being problematic. My problem is I went to the dealer who told me it was up to date at 3.4 (turned out to be nav version) and sent me on my way. Unfortunately they totally wiped the system so everything was messed up and I had no navigation for at least 30 minutes. I contacted Shay again, she got me in touch with someone at Ford that explained the situation to the dealer and they told me to set another appointment. This time the dealer said the server was down but even if it was up they couldn't do the update without charging $150 since Ford won't cover it....even though Ford said they would. This time when I left, everything was wiped again but the nav seemed OK, its position was a little off but this appears to be normal for this crappy system. Other than that the system was OK for about 10 minutes, then the entertainment screen completely stopped responding to input. It would beep but not change anything. About an hour later it started to work again but there is something wrong with this system other than just software that has NEVER been addressed. Oddly enough when I got home that night the SMR site was working and shows the update as available now. I sent another message to Shay last week telling her my frustrations with Ford and the dealer plus my concern that if I install the software and I continue to have problems the dealer will just blame my install but there is clearly something wrong with this system. I have already paid once to have Ford diagnose the system only to be told it is fine but I have videos that prove otherwise. It is a week later and still no response from Shay. This is my first Ford and likely last...this ownership experience has been nothing but headaches and passing of the buck. Ford says it is the dealer and the dealer says it is Ford. In the end it leaves their customers stranded. Good luck!

Hi wlepse,

I responded to your PM and I will be with you shortly.

I'm narrowing the problem, I think? I'm thinking that MFS V3.8 takes longer to boot up than my previous version and if I turn the car off prior to completing the boot process, the system re-indexes the player and loses place. Last night, I filled the car with some good Colorado 1.729 gas. I had been listening to a 2 hr podcast as I pulled into the pump. When I finished, the wife and I decided to hit the ATM inside the station, so I started the car and drove directly to a parking spot in front of the station entry. Car probably wasn't running for more than 20-30 seconds, max. When we returned to the car, MFS booted up and sure enough, the system had lost its place in the podcast. This morning I repeated the sequence in the hopes of validating my suspicion. Sure, enough, it repeated. So, honestly, I'll repeat myself. There is always going to be plenty of examples where updates don't serve the greater good for all users. So, it begs the question of why can't Ford turn back an update? Why can't a dealer wipe MFS slick and reinstall with a version other than the latest. It's issues like this that turn off owners and take them away from an otherwise excellent product. This is my second Edge, the first being a 2008 SEL. Some will consider this a minor problem that should be overlooked. Well, guess what, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. I could think the same for some of the other issues, but even to them, sloppy system programming like this leads to loss customers. Lastly, while I'm on a roll, what's the feedback mechanism? Our dealers? I doubt it since when I explain an issue to them, the common response is a deer in the headlights look and not much else.

Hi tloewenberg,

Please send me a PM with your VIN, name, email, phone number, and mailing address, along with your feedback. I am happy to submit it for you.

Whitney

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Whitney, spent the day fixing my sisters car. Responded to your IM and eagerly await the fix. So far I haven't seen anything too bad since the day I got it back but tomorrow I will be doing a couple hour drive each way and need the gps. So I will see if it is functioning or not.

After the update it seems that my Sirius radio seems to cut out whenever I go through an underpass. I can't recall if it happened prior to the update, but I really don't think so. I know it may seem trivial but I'm on the highway 2-3 times a day and it's annoying.

I doubt it's the update. Mine have always done this under certain underpasses around me. Like someone said above, there is a 3-4 secon buffering that occurs, but sometimes that's not enough. In addition, it also depends on the angle of the satellite that you are using at the time.

In thinking about it, it could be because of the update. I don't know how much of the software in the radio itself is changed from update to update, but there is a threshold that forces it to change to a different satllite. Maybe that changed?

• Like 1

Do you know there's a newer version of the latest update we installed?

I've installed Gen2v38build15128updatepackageNARev1.zip yet Gen2v38build15128updatepackageNARev2.zip is also available.

3 files are different inside that archive, Master Patch for 3.8, Telenav TDI VHR and C489 Nav Map Replacer.

I feel itchy to install it...

Edited by Vadimus

I installed the udpate on 12/6/15 and it took me about 30 minutes and went very smooth. I had to repair my phone as it lost that connection and the custom wallpaper also disappeared. I was able to use the new eyes free to make a call but haven't tried sending text messages. I did try and do a search for a location and it said something about not being able to do internet searches so that kind of blows, who knows maybe the phone needs to be unlocked in order for it to perform that function. I'll do some more testing when I have time to see what other sorts of limitations I find.

I remember it was always like this, whenever the phone is connected, the audio from my HTC does not come over it's speakers, which is annoying, since I don't stream Bluetooth audio I just disable it from the phone to get notifications from the phone's speakers. You can also check google Maps' navigation settings. There is a setting to Play voice over Bluetooth added not long ago, uncheck it & try. Also the volume can be adjusted there.

Thanks! I didn't know about the "Play Voice over Bluetooth" in Navigation. I now have it unchecked.

Originally I disabled Media over Bluetooth in the BT connections.

Seems like when phone is connected via Bluetooth to the car, it is now "informed" by the car that it is on whereas previously it was doing it ONLY after switching to Bluetooth Source. Therefore, the problem is that phone "thinks" that I will hear the outputs via bluetooth but I won't because I am actually listening to other source. So, MFT fools phone into always sending voice over bluetooth even though I won't hear it.

Second issue is worse as I have no idea how to remedy it. When I ask Google for some info like "Traffic to home", it responds over car audio. Now, whatever was on (radio/CD/USB) is interupted (good!) but the playing audio volume is so low I cannot hear it. And the worst part is I cannot now make it work through phone speakers so Google assistant is ALWAYS routed through car audio (even when "Media Audio" is unchecked in the bluetooth settings of the phone for SYNC device).

Ford, why can't you make a separate volume control for Voice (from car) and Voice (from Bluetooth devices)? If I want to hear Google assistant, then car prompts and messages will be way too loud. Since I hate too loud car prompts, I can barely hear Google assistant.

in Google maps app Under navigation settings there are two features...play voice over Bluetooth or play as Bluetooth phone call

I believe with the my ford touch system if it's voice over Bluetooth you only hear it if your Bluetooth streaming & the Bluetooth phone call will work when you're not Bluetooth streaming to hear the navigation directions

On Apple maps app the audio comes up as iPhone or Sync but Sync does not play unless on the Bluetooth audio stream already

Update... After I played around with the other apps using the phone call feature ...WAZE worked this way...for Bluetooth audio the Apple maps was able to do the same thing I was able to toggle on the audio on iPhone bottom right portion of app and select sync .... This time it worked ..: after work... At lunch it did not ...

Edited by drpepper

I put it out to the group and the Ford rep to chime in

when it says Sync On the Smart phone navigation apps

Why doesn't audio work on MFT ?

Only seems to work IF You are already using Bluetooth audio to stream music .

all the other other audio sources The navigation directions do not interrupt the music on FM AM Sirius USB

Think about it. You're telling the navigation app to stream the audio over bluetooth. It's exactly the same as if you were playing a song. If you have MFT listening to FM then how would it know that it needs to switch to bluetooth? Moreover - how would it know to switch to bluetooth to hear the directions then switch back to FM (or Sirius or CD or USB, etc.)?

The solution is what Google maps is apparently doing where it uses the phone connection because that is designed to interrupt the current audio source.

I expect this would work exactly the same way on all vehicle bluetooth interfaces.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that I didn't see anyone else mention this but I will admit to not reading every page.

Re: Siri - I was all excited to be able to activate her from my steering wheel controls vs looking down to identify my phone in the cup holder (or my back pocket), check to see that the round button as "UP" and then press and hold it to get Siri.

I did this update, (~25 minutes, no issues outside of wallpapers being MIA and ambient lighting reset as has already been mentioned) and then came my first test of Siri. Held the steering wheel button for 3-5 seconds, got the "Siri" in the upper left hand quad phone area, and commanded her to "Open Pandora" and was greeted with "Hmmm, I'm sorry I can't do that while you're in the car." WHAT THAT F*** ?!?! @#$#$%^$&^%%^*$%^#$%@

I've already got a thing about not wanting to drink the apple juice but then to have the bit*h dis me this! Wait ... she never denied me before. So I tried several other phases and got the same response. Picked up the iphone and pressed the button, "Open Pandora" and what do you know, pandora opens up without any sass from Siri.

Ok, Lets test texting someone. "Text Brandon" (my son) "Hmmm I'm sorry I can't do that while you're in the car."

Test this with the iphone round button, works as expected.

Way to go Ford, you screwed up apple tech. I didn't even think that was possible.

Siri feature = useless. (unless you want to know the weather whilst driving in China)

So basically, Ford "F'd" up even this simple implementation someone else's tech. The Siri'ize feature is going to force me to look down at the phone and interact with it. The exact opposite from what the design philosophy is supposed to eliminate. But I can ask for the weather! Very useful if I can't just look outside the windows.

p.s. Ford, you suck.

Ok, Lets test texting someone. "Text Brandon" (my son) "Hmmm I'm sorry I can't do that while you're in the car."

Test this with the iphone round button, works as expected.

Weird. Mine works fine with this. I tell Siri "Tell my wife I'm on the way home" and the message is sent.

I'll try to remember to play with it tonight to make sure I'm not making this up.

RIGHT ON FORD! I've been waiting for this iPhone support for quite awhile, and it's finally happened.

Good support not only happens with the hardware of a vehicle, but the software as well!

I understand that technology, specifically hardware, becomes less capable of performing all the latest "bells and whistles". As new features become available newer and other platforms, it's nice to see a vehicle manufacturer like Ford continue support of the outgoing SYNC system.

It'll make a difference for me when considering the purchase of a new vehicle one day.

Satisfied customers are return customers... FORD! Keep me from buying GM ever again!

Well, I'd be a happy camper and "take it back" if it turns out to be just a setting. Spend some non-rage time today looking around in the iphone settings and didn't really see anything that looked related.

How can you say "This is not a Ford restriction" when it works fine directly on iPhone but doesn't via MFT? Even with the iPhone "paired and knowing that I'm in the car, it still works on the iPhone and not via MFT.

Try it USB, a plausible solution but a far second given the pimp'd convenience nature of doing this all while it's in my back pocket via BT.

iPhone 6 running iOS 9.1

Settings\General\Siri\Siri Enabled (obviously)

Settings\General\Siri\Allow "Hey Siri" enabled.

Settings\General\CarPlay doesn't appear to be 'in the game'.

Any other suggestions or things to consider ?

Settings\Touch ID & Passwords - Allow Access When Locked -> Siri is enabled.

Well I just tried it in the garage and it worked perfectly sending a text message.

It knows whether the voice commands are coming through the Bluetooth interface from a vehicle and that's why Siri restricts certain things, but texts should not be one of them.

When you press the button you're talking directly to Siri and bypassing the car Bluetooth interface. That's why it's different.