Squeal Sound

My 2012 edge limited awd has 60,000 miles on it. Lately in the morning or after work, after the car has sat for a while, when I start driving it squeals as I drive and then disappears after 1 minute of driving, or a few hundred feet.

It doesn't sound like a belt, it's not high pitch. The squeal sound happens braking or not braking, so I don't think it's my brakes. It sounds like it squeals in turn with the tires.

Any thoughts?

Usually rust on the rotors after sitting overnight will cause that sound, especially if the humidity is high. When I move the Edge after such conditions occur, I move it with some gusto (not gently) and that really cuts down on the period of time the annoying sound occurs. No safe way to prevent the light rust unfortunately.

If it IS the belts, it might be the power steering belt. That is the most common one to squeal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 09 MKX brakes squeek when backing slowly out of the garage in morning if the car has sat overnight.

It's normal, the brakes wear on the leading edge, traveling in the forward direction 99.9999% of the time. This allows crud, dust, etc) to build up on the trailing edge. When backing up the crud is the cause of the sound.

If yor getting it going forward after backing, my guess is, the dust, rust, etc. has moved to the front leading edge when backing and will stop as soon as it's burned off.

Easy way to eliminate it is to do an aggressive stop while backing up, essentially burning it off. Should be good for a few days until it builds up again.

Just for fun, when my wife is with me (going to the store or whatever), I'll back out of the garage reallllly slow and squeek all the way down the driveway. Drives her nut, like fingernails on a blackboard. Heh, heh, heh.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

This. If you can do this (whether fwd or bkwd) when moving the car first thing after it's been sitting awhile, that should alleviate if not eliminate the issue. Now if the brake pads are staring to wear out, you will hear that all the time ...

Easy way to eliminate it is to do an aggressive stop while backing up, essentially burning it off. Should be good for a few days until it builds up again.

• 2 months later...

I have this brake issue as well. I did the hard braking forward and reverse which helped for a day or two. While the rust noise would be expected if it sat for a while there has to be some other issue or every Ford would do this every day. It seems to be common around 15k-20k mile,after a certain amount of pad wear.

I've heard of lubricating the caliper slides on 07-08 models. Anyone else hear of this?

Edited by rmk184