Liftgate Rattle!

darienfalks

Hello,

My mkX has a rattle in the liftgate area when I hit bigger bumps. The noise used to be a lot more consistant until I took some white grease to my door latchs on all 5 doors, rear seat brackets, and every rubber stopper. Helped a lot, but I still hear that rattle in my liftgate that makes my Lincoln sound super cheaper then it already is haha. Anyways, before I try to remove the liftgate trim has anyone else had this problem?

I had a friend drive the car as I sat in the back and the noise IS coming from inside the liftgate.

Sounds like metal hitting plastic. I dont yet know how to remove the panel on the hatch. Theres 4 screws holding the bottom part on and thats it. looks like you may have to snap the rest out of its place which usually meants breaking something you dont want to. I dont see anyscrews or anything missing, but when the hatch is open I can smack it with my hand and kinda hear the noise. Sounds different when its open.

Did you check the side bumpers for wear and alignment? The latch to see if it was latching closed tightly enough?

If it still seems to be coming from the interior of the liftgate, you will need to pull the cover. Here's the procedure from the service manual:

Remove the liftgate lower trim panel.
1. Remove the 4 liftgate lower trim panel screws.
2. Pull outward on the liftgate lower trim panel to release the liftgate lower trim panel retainers.
3. Remove the liftgate upper trim panel.
4. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
NOTE: The back of the liftgate trim panel is shown indicating the location of the liftgate trim panel retainers.
post-32762-0-91621600-1445971629_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

Did you check the side bumpers for wear and alignment? The latch to see if it was latching closed tightly enough?

If it still seems to be coming from the interior of the liftgate, you will need to pull the cover. Here's the procedure from the service manual:

Remove the liftgate lower trim panel.
1. Remove the 4 liftgate lower trim panel screws.
2. Pull outward on the liftgate lower trim panel to release the liftgate lower trim panel retainers.
3. Remove the liftgate upper trim panel.
4. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
NOTE: The back of the liftgate trim panel is shown indicating the location of the liftgate trim panel retainers.

Thanks for this by the way. I will get it removed and make sure everythings tight. I may also check under the car and make sure the exhuast and bumper mounts are tight.

@Bruceifer. First thing I checked was the plate and it only had the top bolts. Bought a plate hardware kit at walley world, but nothing changed..I will also check the taillights and just about anything else I can think of. I really hate interior ratlles haha.

Edited by darienfalks

• 1 month later...