Wheel Lock Options

I was going to order the wheel lock kit for my new 2015 Edge Sport with the optional 21" wheels but after reading and finding this in the parking lot I definitely will not. I am pretty dissapointed with ford that they don't have a better solution. My 10 year old VW had a wheel lock kit with all the same lug sized and length so it did not protrude (even had lug nut overs so you'd never know). Is there any other solution or options others have used? I don't want to come to my car one day on blocks and these pretty wheels are gone.

Thoughts?

post-38292-0-34628200-1446642518_thumb.jpeg

As a former tire tech for a local tire shop, that style take 30 seconds with a hammer and a can of compressed air to remove, if the first option hammering a socket over it did not work.

I don't think I follow. Are you referencing the lug nut covers? Because there is a tool next to the wheel lock socket that is used to remove them and it is very easy just an "L" shaped piece of metal.

No, if someone either loses the lock nut key or worse someone who is stealing them and will not care if they damage them. Because the nut sits so far outside the rim lip they are very easily broken off and stolen.

As a guy who is about ready to order a 2016 Edge Titanium, are you suggesting it might be a waste of money to order the locking wheel nuts? That they are to easy to break off? Your expert opinion would be welcome. Thanks! Jack

As a guy who is about ready to order a 2016 Edge Titanium, are you suggesting it might be a waste of money to order the locking wheel nuts? That they are to easy to break off? Your expert opinion would be welcome. Thanks! Jack

Looking at the locking lug nuts that would take some real effort to break it off. My concern is first it is hideous and secondly is you now have an uneven weight on the wheels which could cause some vibrations.

I bought Gorilla Guard Locks on Amazon when I bought my Edge. They are the hardest locks to remove from a wheel because the outside of it spins. so you can not smash a socket over it. It's stubby so it sits deep in the wheel. It also blends well with the factory nuts

perfect, I'll have a look into this. Thank you!

I did some searching the I found that we have the same lug nuts as the 2015/2016 ford mustang which seems to have a size of 14mm - 1.5 thread pitch. For the gorilla locks I found this one, the Acorn version. Is this correct?

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-61641-Acorn-Thread/dp/B002801NI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1446727606&sr=1-1&keywords=gorilla+guard+wheel+lock+61641

Edited by anile_eight

• 10 months later...

Hijacking this thread and hopefully reignite this discussion - I'm moving into a very nice apartment complex complete with underground garage parking. However, I want to leave nothing to chance. I do not have anything valuable in my car and I don't believe Ford Edge is worth much in the black market, but this will not stop people who may be up to no good. So I'm looking into wheel lock and steering wheel lock for my car.

Browsing through Amazon, I could find only Gorilla brand. Any other brand like McGard would not be compatible as stated by Amazon when using Automotive filter option.

So this is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002803M78/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=33N93W4OTRRKN&coliid=I3SM1HDT3Y912J&psc=1

My car is a 2011 Ford Edge SE. The Amazon automotive filter claim that this is one of the few that fits.

Yet, I cannot any steering wheel lock..

Any thoughts or suggestions? Are they worth the investment?

Many thanks in advance!!

Had a business associate who used a steering wheel lock on his old beater. He had a call to make, returned to the office and about a half hour later went back out to his car for something. Car gone. Cops told him the bad guys simply use a hand-held bolt cutter to cut a small slice out of the steering wheel and slip off the lock. Takes only a few seconds. Well known way of stealing cars in S. Calif.

You can buy universal wheel lock keys on Ebay (what the garages use when you can't find your key and they are trying to sell you a new set of tires. Very common).

If they your wheels, they'll get them.

Edited by enigma-2