21 inch Tires on the Sport

davidceder

Is there any concern for you guys ordering the 21 inch tires that there is no real spare, just a can of goo. I am considering as I really want dark wheels but live in a rural Arizona area with lots of two lane blacktop. I am 90 miles from Sedona, Prescott, Jerome and Phoenix. Real dark roads at night and long distances to get help. I was thinking of having my stock 20 inchers powder coated. They only want about a $100.00 a tire plus breakdown and remount. If I do this I will get my black wheels and have a spare. Just trying to think out of the box. I save $$ as well. I don't really care if they are 20 or 21 as long as they are black.

Hey Redlance;

Thanks for the reply. I am surprised to hear that. Every piece of documentation I have come across states the inflater/goo in a can. I checked a sport AWD last week at the dealer and it did indeed have a 19 inch temp spare. Both I and the salesman were surprised and thought someone placed it there by mistake.

I wonder how all that works with AWD as I thought all tires needed to be in VERY close tolerance so you don't damage the AWD system. I wonder if there is a mileage limit you can run the temp?

Is your Sport an AWD? I assume the jack is in there as well.

Appreciate it if you ket me know.

Thanks

AWD will disconnect (turn off) when the spare wheel is installed. From the Owners manual:

Do not use a spare tire of a different size other than the tire provided. If the mini-spare tire is installed, the AWD system may disable automatically and enter front-wheel drive only mode to protect driveline components. This condition will be indicated by a warning in the information display See Information Messages. If there is a warning message in the information display from using the spare tire, this indicator should turn off after reinstalling the repaired or replaced normal road tire and cycling the ignition off and on. It is recommended to reinstall the repaired or replaced road tire as soon as possible. Major dissimilar tire sizes between the front and rear axles could cause the AWD system to stop functioning and default to front-wheel drive or damage the AWD system.

• Like 1

How do you guys like the ride of the 21 inch tires on the sport? The tire profile is about an inch less that the 20's. With the stiffer suspension of the sport I am a bit concerned it will be a rough ride. I really felt the stiffness with the 20s when I drove them so a bit concerned about the 21's. Will most probably place an order this week so I want to nail this down.

Thanks

How do you guys like the ride of the 21 inch tires on the sport? The tire profile is about an inch less that the 20's. With the stiffer suspension of the sport I am a bit concerned it will be a rough ride. I really felt the stiffness with the 20s when I drove them so a bit concerned about the 21's. Will most probably place an order this week so I want to nail this down.

Thanks

How it rides is subjective, and the 21's rides, handles and looks great to me. Why don't you just test drive a 2015 Sport with 20 and 21's and see for yourself?

Edited by blitz118

• 2 weeks later...

OK, yesterday we test drove the 4 cyl Titanium with 20 inch wheels and the Sport with 20 inch wheels. The Sport wins and tomorrow I will be heading to the dealer to hopefully place an order. The wife wants Ruby Red with 21 inch wheels. So I have a few questions about the wheels for you that have them.

1) Are the lug nuts bright or the same color as the wheels?

2) Are the calipers painted dark or do they remain the bright silver?

Thanks

The wife wants Ruby Red with 21 inch wheels. So I have a few questions about the wheels for you that have them.

1) Are the lug nuts bright or the same color as the wheels?

2) Are the calipers painted dark or do they remain the bright silver?

Thanks

Same combo as me :)

Lug nuts are regular steel color, calipers also regular silver color