2008 Ford Edge Help!!

capt1857

2008 Ford Edge SEL FWD

Purchased Spring of 2014 CA Dealership 48K miles, Live in AZ.

Since that time we have replaced both rear bearing hub assembly(s), one of them twice, both front wheel bearings, had a front brake job with continuing problems and a battery light that turned out only to be a connection but ended up replacing the alternator before figuring that out.

Seems to never end with this vehicle. What is of concern though is the continuing front brake problems. The dealership here in AZ replaced both front wheel bearings May of 2015, this year. Within a month of that the front brakes started to make strange noises when stopping. Asked the dealer if the brakes had to removed to replace the front wheel bearings and the answer was "no".

Drove it to CO and brought into Summit Ford and told them it was a front brake problem. There was a grinding noise coming from the right front brake when stopping. Instead of fixing the brake problem they replaced the right front intermediate drive shaft, right strut bearing and the right front lower control arm. After replacing all those parts the grinding noise when stopping still existed, they gave up & said they could not help me.

I took the vehicle to brakes plus & they replaced all the hardware on the front brakes & that stopped the grinding. We drove the vehicle back to AZ for the winter and have brought it into Brakes Plus twice now to repair/replace front brake noise. Last night while driving it home the front brakes are again making a grinding noise while stopping.

This brake problem began after the AZ dealership replaced the front wheel bearings and my question to all of you is why does the brake grinding noise go away for a short period of time then resurface after driven for a few hundred miles????????

I am thinking the AZ dealership somehow screwed something up when they replaced the front wheel bearings and this will persist until it is corrected,,,,,,,,,,,,what do you think???????

Edited by capt1857

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the travails with your Edge! Sure sounds like you have gotten bad advice/service along the way. Even if the correct parts were installed, they may not have been installed correctly (not uncommon).

Grinding brakes could be multiple issues. Usually rotors & pads are not worn in (bedded in) properly, so there is a mismatch. Faulty pads can wear abnormal patterns into rotors. Staying parked for long periods of time can cause a lot of rust, and even cause rotor & pad to "meld" together. At least annually, the calipers, dust boots, slide pins should be inspected, cleaned and lubricated. If the caliper pistons are scored, again, you can have pads not contacting the rotor properly and end up with grinding/squealing/etc.

I'd discard the rotors & pads currently on the vehicle, possibly the calipers depending on condition. But it would be better to go to a reputable service center first and let them look over the Edge. Establishing a good working relationship can be lifesaver.

Not sure exactly where you are located, but a couple of recommended service centers in AZ:

AutoNation Ford, Scottsdale, AZ
8555 Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Phone: (480) 630-2827

Chapman Ford, Scottsdale, AZ
7100 E. McDowell Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85257
Phone: 480-516-0088

As with all things if you leave the parts replacement to the installer you will get the (generally) cheapest rotors and pads they can find. I have used ceramic pads and high quality carbon steel rotors and this has put an end to the brake issues for me. Brakes are a job you can do yourself with minimal tools. Plus if you do it yourself you will know it was done with care and correctly. Seems like the folks you went to were parts swappers and made money off of you without actually trying to be an honest mechanic.

• Like 2

Macbwt is on point with do it yourself! After all it's only your brakes... Who really uses those things anyway? Jk. Who knows what quality parts they used. Don't even some new rotars need turned before install or seating issues with the pads can occur?

Edited by fit1446
  • Like 1

guess i missed something? i dont understand the hate here....

wwwperfa_znow.has always been super helpful and full of good knowledge. i joined this forum for peoples advice,thier experience and yes even their OPINION. i dont live in the snow or have to deal with any salt on the roads...i have my own set of issues, like dont leave anything on the dash in your car in august or it will take on new shape! the only salt we have in AZ is found in a shaker. I recommend parking your car in the shade when your in az not because it says so in a book but because i have parked in the sun and its fu%$ing hot!

• Like 2

As with all things if you leave the parts replacement to the installer you will get the (generally) cheapest rotors and pads they can find. I have used ceramic pads and high quality carbon steel rotors and this has put an end to the brake issues for me. Brakes are a job you can do yourself with minimal tools. Plus if you do it yourself you will know it was done with care and correctly. Seems like the folks you went to were parts swappers and made money off of you without actually trying to be an honest mechanic.

I can vouch for what you said. Had new brakes put on a local Ford dealer (Chrysler Sebring convertible, but local Dodge Chrysler dealer is incomplete), and used on-line coupon. Stop on a dime but squeek, squeek, squeek. Bitch, bitch, bitch for two months. Went to NAPA and bought the best pads they sell. Had same Ford dealer put them on and perfect. Not a peek out her. Brakes are quiet as well.
  • Like 2

I can vouch for what you said. Had new brakes put on a local Ford dealer (Chrysler Sebring convertible, but local Dodge Chrysler dealer is incomplete), and used on-line coupon. Stop on a dime but squeek, squeek, squeek. Bitch, bitch, bitch for two months. Went to NAPA and bought the best pads they sell. Had same Ford dealer put them on and perfect. Not a peek out her. Brakes are quiet as well.

hahahaha