fog lights...hid or led?

Still ave halogens for fogs, just because it's easier to find the 3000K color temp. If you went with HID/LED, make sure the harnesses and any heatsinks/fans are really weatherproof, the location of the lights being so close to the action.

cmon...u forget where i live? it doesnt rain here!! haha that was my one concern and i think the led would do better if by chance water fell in the city of phx

If you actually want to "use" your fogs for what they are designed for. Stay with halogen. If you want to do it cause it looks cool. Go with HID. If you just want the newest tech even though your halogens give off better light, go with LED.

Your foglight housings were made for halogen bulbs. Changing to HID/LED doesn't improve the lighting one bit.

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

Thanks for understanding. Lighting is a touchy subject and people think just cause things plug in, that they will work the same and it doesn't work like that.

i honestly never really looked at it like you put it. i know that all my fixtures were made as reflective and meant for halogen,but i like my hid low beams. do not like the hid hi beams and will b removing them and replacing with a quality halogen. as fas as the fogs ...i live in az and not ever much use for fog lights so they are pretty much just for looks.

i honestly never really looked at it like you put it. i know that all my fixtures were made as reflective and meant for halogen,but i like my hid low beams. do not like the hid hi beams and will b removing them and replacing with a quality halogen. as fas as the fogs ...i live in az and not ever much use for fog lights so they are pretty much just for looks.

Each bulb type requires specific reflective properties to aim the light. Halogen works best in Halogen reflective lighting, HID works best in HID housings and LED in LED housings. People assume that their HIDs are brighter than there old Halogens when they swap because the bulb characteristics have changed and the housing cannot properly aim them and usually create a ton of foreground light. This makes the swap seem brighter because honestly, it is but it's not putting the light down the road where you want it. I call this the "flashlight in front of face effect" because everything is focused right in front of you with no distance.

Ā 

As far as Halogen bulbs, Philips Xtreme Vision and GE Nighthawks are highly recommended in the retrofit community

Ā 

A visual of "flashlight in front of face"

img_5737.jpg

Each bulb type requires specific reflective properties to aim the light. Halogen works best in Halogen reflective lighting, HID works best in HID housings and LED in LED housings. People assume that their HIDs are brighter than there old Halogens when they swap because the bulb characteristics have changed and the housing cannot properly aim them and usually create a ton of foreground light. This makes the swap seem brighter because honestly, it is but it's not putting the light down the road where you want it. I call this the "flashlight in front of face effect" because everything is focused right in front of you with no distance.

Ā 

As far as Halogen bulbs, Philips Xtreme Vision and GE Nighthawks are highly recommended in the retrofit community

Ā 

A visual of "flashlight in front of face"

img_5737.jpg

thank you for the knowledge !! i definately appreciate it.

One additional thought, is that a fog light atually diminishs your highway vision.

Ā 

The reason is that, when you are running just headlights, the light is scattered down the road (diminishing law of squares), and you iris need to open wider to "see" better.

Ā 

When you turn on your fog lamps, they throw a LOT of light close to the car. The brighter light will close your iris to compensate and this reduces your distance vision.

Ā 

Under very poor driving conditions (fog, rain, snow) you are driving very slow and your main objective is to stay "on the road". The ONLY purpose for fog lights is to illuminate the center line and edge lines on the road. Turning them on at any other time only hinders your ability to see further.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

One additional thought, is that a fog light atually diminishs your highway vision.

The reason is that, when you are running just headlights, the light is scattered down the road (diminishing law of squares), and you iris need to open wider to "see" better.

When you turn on your fog lamps, they throw a LOT of light close to the car. The brighter light will close your iris to compensate and this reduces your distance vision.

Under very poor driving conditions (fog, rain, snow) you are driving very slow and your main objective is to stay "on the road". The ONLY purpose for fog lights is to illuminate the center line and edge lines on the road. Turning them on at any other time only hinders your ability to see further.

HIDs/LEDs in halogens kinda do the same thing with creating more foreground light instead of shooting the light where you need it

you two are the light of my life! haha we dont have fog here,or rain,or snow...only sunshine. except when it rains..so my fog lights are simply for looks. i am absolutely ditching the hid,you both have educated me on the lighting function and what works best,,the fog lights are where i can add a little color.

• 2 weeks later...

i went out and bought the best halogen bulbs i could find..installed them and i am keeping my HID...i completely understand that my factory headlight fixtures were designed for halogen and thats great but just call it a personal preference..i like the flashlight in front of my face. i put the halogen in for my high beam but im keeping my HID. and Prinz you def need light down the road...you live out there in the east valley where there are no lights ..lol