Hood moves up and down on highway - cause speeding ticket?

Joe2015Ti

Does anyone else notice that the hood actually shakes up and down in the wind and during bumps on the highway? I didn't think this was all that big of a deal until today... I was pulled over by a state police officer and cited for speeding at a "lidar" speed significantly faster than I was traveling. My family was in the car, cruise control on, etc. there is no way I was going that fast, and since I have police officers in my family, I tend to believe all police officers at their word.

There are two latching positions for the hood. If the hood is held closed just by the safety latch, it will indeed move up and down by a couple of inches.

Open the hood and let it slam closed from about the one foot open position. Then test the hood being fully closed by pulling up on the lip.

It should no longer move at all. If it's still loose (but safety latched), the catch mechanism needs to be looked at.

As for the false reading, yes, it's quite possible for an officer to accidentally get a reading much higher than the car was traveling. The way this works is, if the officer pulled the trigger rather than squeezed it, it's possible the sweep across two cars during the same pull. This more likely to occur at long distances of a half mile or more and if he didn't aim carefully and properly lead the car he was checking. A good officer when checking a car at distance should try "hitting" to target more than once.

Assume two cars are traveling at the posted speed limit, 45 mph. The gun reads the more distant car, then continues to sweep to the closer car.

Even though both were traveling at the posted speed limit, the gun reads that the closer car traveled it's actual distance plus the distance separating the two cars; say 85 mph.

Thanks for the info, I'll have the hood looked at by the dealer on Monday. I figured it was normal... Guess not... I'm still mad about the ticket since there is no way I was going 82 with the cruise set on 75. He probably clocked the guy catching me in the POS Dodge... Guess the Massachusetts State Police needed some revenue from out of state plates, and a trooper was having a bad day.

Can't help you on the speeding ticket. But there's two rubber bumpers or supports on the front sides of the hood that need adjusting to eliminate that lifting of the hood. Adjusting them is a quick easy minute job each. Our first Edge you could lift the hood about a quarter inch because the bump stops were not adjusted right from the assembly plant. Took the body shop tech only a couple minutes to fix. That also allowed the hood to raise & lower with the car at speed.