Truck won't start it just clicks

wlepse

So over the weekend the family got up and headed out to Lowes which is about a 20 minute ride. Truck started fine and drove fine. When I got to Lowes I ran in for about 5 minutes, while in there the wife was in the truck with engine off but radio on. When I came out all the truck did was click. What was extra strange was the clicking continued even after the key was removed from the ignition. Each time you tried to start it seems like the clicking runs for a preset amount of time regardless of key. Luckily someone helped jump start it but even then it failed to start 3 x's and I had to leave it connected for a couple minutes. The rest of the day the trucks started fine and was good till today when it left my wife and son stranded. It is a 2011 so maybe the battery is getting a little weak but I have my doubts it is only the battery. Recently the stupid door ajar light has come back and I am wondering if this leaves the truck in a different electrical state when it is off causing a parasitic draw. Any thoughts? Suggestions on what else to try? At this point I will probably just put a new battery in since it has had almost 5 yrs of service and likely weak. Just concerned I may kill a new battery if there is some other issue I don't resolve. Some other forums mention to check the Park position. I would have thought if the truck didn't sense the tranny was in Park nothing would happen but I could be wrong.

Txs...will double check tonight when I get home. Hopefully I can get it jumped but apparently a family friend and the janitor at the school couldn't get it to start. Might just pick up a battery on the way home and throw it in. Looks like a battery from Advanced Auto after discounts will be right around $100 for a 850CCA version.

• Like 1

Phew...ordered a Gold battery from AAP because it had the highest CCA. Well that may have been a mistake. I probably should have checked the OEM battery first; it had 580 CCA vs 850CCA. Not that this will cause a problem in and of itself but the battery size also increased by about 2" longer and about an inch higher. It barely fits in the tray but more importantly the cables barely reached. So since I don't know what tolerance Ford has on these harnesses and if I was at the short side or long side this size 65 may not work for all.

Ā 

macbwt...yeah plan on doing that tomorrow. Right now I have the trickle charger topping off the battery and when I drop off the old one for the core I will have them double check it. Just didn't want to take the chance it wasn't the battery and drive it over there tonight and get stuck. I would rather have it dead in my garage then there...especially when they are saying it will be -5F sometime in the next 24 hours.

Was actually going to look into one of those lithium ion battery jumpers. Found one at HD on clearance but after reading the reviews I need to do some more research. Apparently some only supply a trickle of current so it can take 45+ min to get enough juice to jump. Some claim less than 10. Would-be nice to have just in case you get stuck with no one around to help.

Read my post "Strange things". Was due 55K checkup, when I went to start the Edge after a rather cold night, it only clicked. Just like yours. Call the Dealership and they sent Road Service. They jump it off and everything was cool again. While at the Dealership they checked and charged the battery. It checked OK so I decided not to change it out at this time. The car had only been drive about 100 miles in last three/four weeks. So I'll keep an eye on it and at first signs of another dead battery I'll replace it. My Edge is a 2013 SE.

Ā 

Burke

This is probably one of the highest CCA rated LiOn jump starters, but yeah, don't try immediately on a dead battery in general. If the interior lights don't come on when you open the door, battery's pretty dead, and will need that trickle charge as mentioned prior to an attemped jump start.

http://www.amazon.com/Besteker-16800mAh-Current-Portable-Flashlight/dp/B014QZZGLW/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51U7lDjrytL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0NAXVF2RB2MJ2ZZSG132

Was actually going to look into one of those lithium ion battery jumpers. Found one at HD on clearance but after reading the reviews I need to do some more research. Apparently some only supply a trickle of current so it can take 45+ min to get enough juice to jump. Some claim less than 10. Would-be nice to have just in case you get stuck with no one around to help.

I have my trusty JNC660 as a backup for those hard starter situations :)

• Like 1

I had originally looked at the larger units but all the ones i saw were lead acid so they required more maintenance. Since this would be for the wife i want to avoid anything that makes me have to remember to do much more. The lithium ion versions claim to hold a charge for months or more depending on the cells. So far so good with the new battery, I will get the rest of the electrical system tested tomorrow. Also electrical cleaner on the door switch may have helped. I guess time will tell.

• Like 1

OMG...thank God this isn't my daily driver...I would have dumped this thing long ago. Too bad it doesn't make financial sense to get rid of it. First the good news; truck starts every time with the new battery and the alternator checked out fine. But on the bad side the stupid door ajar warning is back. But so are the other oddities that drive me batty about this thing. When the door ajar light appeared backing out of the garage I decided to open and close the door again. Well the light went out but some how the audio source went from FM to USB. I went to change it back and by mistake hit Sirius. So I got the no Sirius subscription message. Cleared that and went back to FM. But now the little i was lighted yellow. So selecting that brought up the message list. When I tried to hit view, rather than showing the message it pulled up the Sirius screen but the source remained FM. No buttons did anything to change the screen for a good 5 minutes. So irritating.

There was only the one message and the yellow I is gone. Just so frustrating to use that damn interface and Ford has been absolutely no help over the last few years. I just went through two visits and three months of waiting for Ford to get me the MFT update and they totally dropped the ball. Never called back, never followed up and actually closed out the ticket even though the last entry was for them to add the update to the customer satisfaction program. Never happened.