Transmission fluid change at 22k miles (Per dealer)

SilverLimited

HI all,

I have done a search around here and have read that the EDGE ATF should be changed around 150k miles, (30k miles for heavy duty towing). I recently took my 2010 EDGE with roughly 22k miles on it to the dealer for an oil change. Mind you, I have gotten oil changes every 6 months and necessary maintenance and their specified intervals. When the dealer gave my car back they told me I needed to change the transmission cooler line and change the ATF.

Now, am I being paranoid, or does this seem right? I know the vehicle is roughly 6 years old, but it only has 22k miles and when I checked the ATF it still has a nice clear red to it. Should I be paranoid?

they told me I needed to change the transmission cooler line

This is not a maintenance item, so it might be leaking & hence why they told you to change it. Check it as soon as possible, if there is no problems with it, then it is time for a different service department as suggested by akirby.

City miles are basically severe duty, IME. Still makes it too early mileage wise, but not that early age wise. But if the fluid is a healthy color, has that new fluid smell, and is at the correct fill level, probably doesn't need to be exchanged. Def make sure no leaks are present. If your Edge is AWD, I'd be more concerned with the PTU.

I'd get a second opinion from a reputable service shop (you can find them via Yelp, Repairpal, etc., and actually look at the reviews).

I personally have determined through multiple mileage intervals that the 50K to 60K mile mark is just about right to change the transmission fluid. Although I would recommend a coolant flush and brake line bleed and change if this has not occurred.

• Like 1