AC stuck on hot

Sean Mullins

One day a couple of weeks ago my edge blew hot air out of all vents when I turned on the AC. The next day it worked fine and has been fine for 2 weeks, this weekend it did it again, and has continued to not work since. I checked this site for help yesterday but Im a beginner at mechanics. Any advice would help thanks.

2008 Edge sel

Manual climate control.

First thing is check the AC by starting your Edge and turning on the AC then watch and listen for the compressor to start. If the compressor does not cycle or start then you may be low or have no freon due to a leak. Start there and continue on. Since the AC requires some special equipment you may need to take it to a mechanic for service.

You might want to try blowing out the AC drain tube (it's a 2 piece, pull back the carpeting next to driverside console to see the joint), and running some AC foaming cleaner up the upper half of the tube to clean the evaporator coils. Hopefully that's all it needs. Next step would be, like mac said, to get refrigerant levels checked. Hopefully there's no damaged components/leaks, and it just needs a fill.

Can you switch to heat? If not, my thinking runs along the line of a failed control.

Might be if the AC compressor is kicking on then it most likely has sufficient freon or it would not cycle on. OR vent controller has failed and is stuck

It blows hot air air no matter what the temp knob is on. My mechanic friend said it sounded like the ETCM module to him. I found a used one on ebay for 16 bucks I may try that before I take to the shop. I tried locating the air blend actuators to see if they are working but did not know where to find them.

Today when I got home I finally found 2 actuators, at least I think that's what they are.The one behind the glove box only moves when I change from Max Ac to regular ac. It does not move when I turn the temp knob.

The one on the left under my steering column does not move either.

I felt the line under the hood for the cold air and it is cold to the touch while to air is on.

I tool some pics but could not figure out how to add them.

You can attach images as files, click on MORE REPLY OPTIONS to get to the full capabilities of the REPLY box. Best to host on Photobucket/Flickr/imgur etc, then put a direct link back in your post.

Maybe replacing the EMTC will fix the issue, worth a try. There is only one actuator though if you have manual climate control (driver side). If you had electronic/auto climate control, they have 2.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

can someone tell me specifically where the driver side blend door actuator is? please. exactly 1 year age the passenger side was blowing hot while the driver side was ac ok. it was still under warranty, they replaced the blend door actuator.. i need directions to find the left side blend door. please can someone help... thanks, a newbie ps . when i say hot, i mean the heat is on and coming through the upper vents,only on driver side.

Edited by pippo0472008

It should be to the right of where the gas pedal is.

2011 Edge Temperature Blend Door Actuator mdash LH

Item Part Number Description
1 — LH temperature blend door actuator electrical connector (part of 19D887)
2 W712320 LH temperature blend door actuator screw (2 required)
3 19E616 LH temperature blend door actuator

Removal and Installation

NOTE: The LH temperature blend door actuator can be accessed from below the LH side of the instrument panel to the right of the accelerator pedal.

1. Disconnect the LH temperature blend door actuator.
  2. Remove the 2 LH temperature blend door actuator screws.
  3. Remove the LH temperature blend door actuator.
  4. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  5. NOTE: The purpose of the module actuator position calibration is to allow the HVAC module to reinitialize and calibrate the actuator stop points. To carry out calibration, carry out the following steps.
    1. Remove the Smart Junction Box (SJB) fuse 15 for at least one minute.
  6. NOTE: When the ignition switch is switched to the ON position, the HVAC module will initialize and calibrate the actuators. Calibration of the actuators will take approximately 30 seconds.
    1. Reinstall SJB fuse 15. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait 30 seconds before verifying correct DEFROST/PANEL/FLOOR operation.
Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem on my 2014 Edge. I've replaced the actuator and the linkage seemed to maneuver as it should so I didn't replace that. Before replacing the actuator, the driver's side blowed only cool air, now it blows only hot air. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by bhcoff001

I tried. I didn't have any instructions except for these so I pulled the fuses for the climate control system. Fuses 37 and 46 in the interior fuse box and fuse 70 in the engine compartment fuse box and it's still blowing only hot air. Is there a different fuse I should try to reinitialize? I've been doing this with my dad who worked at one of the Ford plants but all of this is too new since his retirement so we're both kind of lost.

I should say that on mine, fuse 15 is for the fuel pump relay in the engine fuse box and for reverse lamps, stop lamps, and high mounted stop lamps in the interior fuse box so I didn't see how those would be to re-calibrate the actuator. If I'm wrong please correct me!!

Edited by bhcoff001