Here in northern Indiana water spots are usually caused by acid rain (from the steel Mills over new Chicago). The problem with this is, it's so acidic that when the acid rain sets on the windshield and dries, it actually etched the glass. You can see it on the windshield as a residue after the water has dried.

If your water spots cannot be removed with window cleaner, it possibly might be etched into the glass. I never found anything, other than buffing with compound, that removes water spot etching.

• Like 1

Try vingear first. Do it out of the sun and when the windshield is cool.

I wish I had thought to use vinegar. My 2016 Edge came from the factory with the windshield, and all the windows, covered with heavy water spots. Glass cleaner didn't make a dent. I used a clay bar...... and it took an hour just on the windshield..... but it did work. I haven't even told the dealer how much time I saved them by doing it myself, but I was upset that they didn't appear to have even tried to clean the windows. Since I picked the car up during a heavy rain storm, it just might have been overlooked. Anyway, good luck on your windows! Jack

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Back in the day, we used Bonami Cleanser... it contains an abrasive that's much less aggressive than that found in most other cleansers like Comet.

You might also try LimeAway... it's available at most supermarkets and is generally used to remove mineral deposits from shower doors, faucets and such. I used it on my boat to remove water spots that had been baked on in the Arizona sun.

Be careful around your painted surfaces... it WILL remove all t

he wax. I just put it on a terrycloth towel, then wiped the glass down, a small section at a time, then used regular glass cleaner to remove the residue... then moved on to the next section.