Looking for HACKS for my 2012 Ford Edge Limited

MissAbunDance

I bought my very first brand new car ever in 1999. It was a Ford Focus ZTS, and I just sold it this April and bought a used 2012 Ford Edge. I swore to myself that I would not buy Ford again, but this car suits my lifestyle and I just LOVE driving it. I camp inside of it and it makes me feel safe being so high up in it. My Focus was so low, that if I ever crashed, I would be smashed up.

I am very much looking forward to sharing hacks on this car, since the Ford dealerships charge $500 to do anything. Right now I am looking for hacks on the backup camera. I know it works because every once in a while when I put it in reverse, I can see the images behind me on the screen. But then it says it is broken and to contact the dealership. I took it in to have a looked at, and they charge me $200 just to tell me it would cost $500 to fix. There is no way it costs that much to switch a sensor or change something around.

I am also looking for the Nav system to work. When I bought the car used it had a 2010 SD card in it, which didn't even register for my car. Not sure how that happened, but I'd like to make my driving safer by not looking at my phone for every direction.

Also, how to change the part on the hood where water squirts out on drivers side? It is clogged and dont know how to fix it. Any thoughts?

I'll try to respond to the nav problem. First thing I would do is to run the on-board diagnostics on the MyFordTouch system. Should tell you if the nav system is operational. To initiate, (Limited with Sony radio) set MFT to AM/FM mode, press and hold the eject button and hold the right arrow on the center wheel. Hold both buttons pressed for about 12 seconds. The screen will go black and enter the diagnostics mode.

If the nav system is ok, problem might be a bad SD chip (it's outdated anyway).

As for the windshield washer spray nozzle, should be an easy fix. First remove the nozzle.

Go in from the underside of the hood, release the hood noise blanket in the area of the nozzle (pull clips usually have to be pried out), then while holding the back of the nozzle with your hand "pull, twist and pull" the end of the hose. (Kind of reminds one of grenade training, eh?)

If the hose is stubbern, may have to resort to "gently" using plyers on the hose to "persuade" it to remove. With the hose pulled off the nozzle, use plyers to pinch the two clips on the back of the nozzle to release it from the mounting hole in the hood. After you get it out, soak the nozzle in vinigar for a few hours to disolve the water scale blocking the opening.

After its open, use a can of compressed air to blow out the Nozzle opening to clear it out.

Next push the nozzle back into the hole in the hood (it will snap back in the hole), re-attach the hose and replace the hood noise blanket.

Instead of cleaning, you could buy a new nozzle off Ebay for about $10. I would try cleaning first, usually works.

For the camera, it usually means you need a new camera. Usually ~ $100/- & several members here changed it & posted very helpful how to with pictures.

For the Nav, if yo have "Information" on the top right corner of the 8" dash display, then you don't have Nav or something messed up in the screen & most probably only a dealer will be able to fix it. If it tells something that the SD Card is not compatible, it would probably be because the MyFord Touch system was updated to a newer version that is not compatible with an old SD Card. Check what version is written on the card, I believe A7 is the latest & also make sure you update MyFord Touch to the latest verion.