Sirius, are you serious?

Chipster

I just got a re-up notice from Sirius and they want $191.24 for extending their service a year. This is for what they describe as "The All Access Package". I tried to read through all the associated paperwork that came with this notice to see if there were other packages or tiers that might cost less, but did not find any. I do listen to a few channels on Sirius, but not enough to pay the kind of money they are asking for. I just wondered if they have the ability to provide customer selected stations to our vehicles or are there packages that we can select from other than the all access package?

Edited by Chipster

Sirius not only is way overpriced but the sound quality is not up to hd stereo radio

Agreed, it doesn't help that their one real subscriber "pull" Howard Stern is rarely live. I don't listen to him much, but if I'm in the mood for background noise I'll put it on. I can't tell you how many times I've turned it on in the AM and it's a clip from 5 years ago, only to turn it back on for drive home and it's the exact same clip again!

I usually listen to CNN, FOX, MSNBC & HLN. And then there's Wille's Road House, 50's and 60's. And on rare occasions, the 40's. Can't stand Howard Stern, never listen to him. Complete jerk.

Its a good service, but I agree, the price is too high.

Edited by enigma-2

You don't have to let it lapse... just call them and tell them you would like to renew but that it's just too expensive for the amount you use it. They will fall all over themselves making offers of lower prices to keep you as a subscriber. I was fortunate enough to get a lifetime subscription back in 2004 for under $300. It has long since paid for itself (or you could say it cost me about $2 per month) and it has one big advantage for traveling - you can get uninterrupted programming anywhere in the country without having to search for local stations.

YOu can easily get them to take $5-$6 per month after all fees/taxes. Just tell them it cost too much and they'll start throwing deals at you. It may require a call back every 6 months, but no big deal. I think of the 10+ years I used Sirius/XM, I only had to completely cancel once for a month when they did call my bluff. After a month, they called and said "Come back and we'll give you 5 months for $25 after taxes/fees".

My commute is minimal now and I use Spotify a lot, so I don't even bother with Sirius/XM anymore. But with a few phone calls threatening to cancel, you'll easily keep your XM bill under $75 a year.

I had the Sirius for the 3 month trial when I purchased mine and then again for 6 month trial when I had a service done for free at the dealership I brought it from. In all that time maybe used it twice. I don't feel that it is really great. The only thing I liked about it was the Travel Link for the live gas prices and traffic which worked well, but gas buddy replaces gas prices and I'll live without live traffic. I find any podcast/pandora/tunein all work great with bluetooth streaming especially since the most recent update of MyFordTouch that hooks up bluetooth streaming immediately when the phone pairs for calling. I haven't done much research, but if I could get travel link for 10 bucks or so a month I may consider it but that is still a big if. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by tamugrad2013

All of the various features of the satellite radio are lumped together as part of the 6-month free trial on new vehicles. After the six months, you can pick which features you want (fuel prices, traffic, weather, and to some extent music packages) with corresponding differences in pricing. I don't think Ford OEM radios are compatible with the "A La Carte" option which lets you pick which channels you want so you would have to go with one of their music (or talk) packages if you want more than just the travel options.

Someone somewhere else has mentioned 5 years which sounded a bit to good to be true. 6 months seems to be the norm for subscription trial.

I'll most likely dump the radio portion and keep the travellink. Depending on cost. I think I saw travellink alone is $9 a month... Pretty ridiculous to me

Not just for new car buyers. If you just bought a car with Sirius radio, you can usually get a free trial just by calling. It doesn't cost them anything yo let you listen for 90 days, and it just might get you hooked.

Call them and ask for another free trial. What's the worst they can do, say no?