Adaptive steering fault

We started getting the adaptive steering fault on Monday. We had an appointment to get a couple of other issues addressed this morning. The dealer is ordering a new steering wheel, which is of course still on backorder. It's my wife's car, and she didn't feel comfortable driving it with the fault regularly appearing. The steering was still centered properly. She tried to get the dealer to cannibalize another '16 Sport that they have on the lot, but they declined. They're giving her a '17 Edge as a loaner until they get things resolved.

Hi all-

It's been awhile since I last posted (early Nov. 2016; tread #113 & 115 - and some before in Oct). Well I'm sorry to report that I'm have trouble AGAIN with my adaptive steering since the steering wheel replacement last Nov. I had the fault light come a couple times this year so far and they turned off fairly quickly, but this past Saturday the fault light came on and the steering wheel recalibrated 90 degrees (like others have reported)!! So basically the wheel was turned all the way to the right, yet the car was going straight! Scared me out of my mind. Got home safely and jumped back on this thread, and I read about it possibly recalibrating itself the next day, and sure enough on Sunday it did just that! Turned my Edge on and it recalibrated and the fault light turned off. I was going to take it to the dealer anyway (although they had said to only bring it in if the fault light was on and to NOT turn the car off), and ended up doing so today when the blasted fault light came on again! I nearly flipped my lid. Went straight back to the dealer and this time they gave me a loaner, but they seem perplexed about the situation (the guy I dealt with previously is no longer at the dealership) which doesn't make me feel hopeful, but hopefully the Ford Hotline has more info for them by now. They also mentioned that I might want to look into a buyback which is so unbelievable since this was the replacement vehicle for my diesel VW which was recently bought back!! Un-be-lievable!!!!

So what has been the best fix so far for those with this issue? Complete steering wheel replacement or clock spring replacement? I really don't know what else to do...

Edited by alesham

If you had an early fix for the adaptive steering issue or if they cannibalized an in-stock Sport to make the fix, I would not be surprised to see the issue pop up again. The issue is pretty much resolved as we now know what the issue is(one of 3 possible issues) and what the fix for each issue is. I have said it in the past, but I absolutely LOVE the adaptive steering the more I use it in tight downtown underground parking garages and navigating tight streets. I have gotten so used to it that I keep steering wide when I am in the Corolla.

Edge is still in the shop. I've had a loaner since last weekend as was told, "don't call us, we'll call you." No word yet. I believe last November they swapped out my steering wheel since it seemed different and the signals didn't work properly after the replacement (wouldn't turn off on their own), but per my previous post the dealer wasn't forthright about the replacement. They just simply told me that they did more software reset/reprogramming, but I shared the codes that were printed on my receipt with this forum and others concluded that they were the "replace steering wheel" codes. Needless to say, the guy I dealt with a the dealership is no longer there and no one spoke kindly about him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't telling me the truth. So I suspect they swapped out my steering wheel without telling me. Worked fine for a couple of months before the light came back on this past January. And then the horrific scare about a week ago (mentioned above) - ugh. Since they already replaced the steering wheel (I presume) what else can they do...? Replace the clock spring? We're now looking into buyback options and our rights under the CA Lemon Law. They have one more chance to rectify this issue!

Edited by alesham

Edge is still in the shop. I've had a loaner since last weekend as was told, "don't call us, we'll call you." No word yet. I believe last November they swapped out my steering wheel since it seemed different and the signals didn't work properly after the replacement (wouldn't turn off on their own), but per my previous post the dealer wasn't forthright about the replacement. They just simply told me that they did more software reset/reprogramming, but I shared the codes that were printed on my receipt with this forum and others concluded that they were the "replace steering wheel" codes. Needless to say, the guy I dealt with a the dealership is no longer there and no one spoke kindly about him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't telling me the truth. So I suspect they swapped out my steering wheel without telling me. Worked fine for a couple of months before the light came back on this past January. And then the horrific scare about a week ago (mentioned above) - ugh. Since they already replaced the steering wheel (I presume) what else can they do...? Replace the clock spring? We're now looking into buyback options and our rights under the CA Lemon Law. They have one more chance to rectify this issue!

I truly feel your pain. This issue is a bitch. Factor that in with a less than honest dealer and it really sucks. My repair, clock spring and modules has been good. Still, there is always that nagging "Will it happen again? Now? Now? tomorrow?" type of feeling that I never had with a new car before.

I would like to see Ford stuck with some buy backs due to this. They should have tested more and used a better supplier. And all this for a feature that almost no one really cares about.

Best of luck, keep us posted please.

So, got my 2nd new Steering Wheel, but this time, I think that they forgot to turn on the adaptive steering functionality! In the Lincoln, there is no menu option specific to this, so it's just by feel that I can tell it's not doing it's improved low speed turning ratio thing. Did someone else say that it was just a matter of a simple ODB connection, and turning on the option in software?

So, got my 2nd new Steering Wheel, but this time, I think that they forgot to turn on the adaptive steering functionality! In the Lincoln, there is no menu option specific to this, so it's just by feel that I can tell it's not doing it's improved low speed turning ratio thing. Did someone else say that it was just a matter of a simple ODB connection, and turning on the option in software?

I did and they just programmed it again and it was all good. I also have an option to disable the lift gate switch which I swear was not there before. I also notice the vertical tack that was useless is now not an option as well and only the circle tack remains.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/21044-adaptive-steering-fault/page-15?do=findComment&comment=165397

Malcolm

• Like 2

I did and they just programmed it again and it was all good. I also have an option to disable the lift gate switch which I swear was not there before. I also notice the vertical tack that was useless is now not an option as well and only the circle tack remains.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/21044-adaptive-steering-fault/page-15?do=findComment&comment=165397

Malcolm

Thanks for the reply, sent you a PM....

Malcolm

I am going to check mine. I did notice a few little changes in the dashboard, but am going to check to see if the vertical tach is gone. That thing was dumber than a box of rocks to begin with, so good riddance I hope :)

I hope all get this issue resolved soon.

Just ordered a switchable OBD interface and downloaded the Forscan software so I can look at and, optionally, change some of my settings, like putting the heated steering wheel selector on the home screen, and checking the status of my adaptive steering.

Edited by VisionPilot

Just ordered a switchable OBD interface and downloaded the Forscan software so I can look and, optionally, change some of my settings, like putting the heated steering wheel selector on the home screen, and checking the status of my adaptive steering.

This sounds good. I would love to have my heated wheel on by default :)

Happy that option that you never had to use in the first place is not available. Got it.

I agree, They should not have removed any of them I never used it but they really should just have a menu to tick off the ones you don't want so you only have to scroll though the ones you need. I would much rather have mine have nothing but the circle tack with gas and heat (why is this the only one with water temp!), air pressure, and speedo. And if you could also rotate in the trips that would be good to. I don't need a gimmicky menu showing where torque is atm. Just my opinion. Maybe you can ask them to not wipe the vertical tach when they put on the new wheel?

Edited by rvcjew

Just returned from second visit to the dealer this week. While they replaced the steering wheel on Monday for a second time (unrelated to the adaptive steering fault), the "adaptive" portion was obviously not functioning. Actually, while they call it adaptive, I think that's a misnomer, it's more accurately, Variable Ratio steering. That being said, apparently, this 2nd wheel was a new iteration, and required new software that wasn't available until yesterday; or so I was told. They had to download it to their computers, then program my car. Works great now.

Edited by VisionPilot

Just returned from second visit to the dealer this week. While they replaced the steering wheel on Monday for a second time (unrelated to the adaptive steering fault), the "adaptive" portion was obviously not functioning. Actually, while they call it adaptive, I think that's a misnomer, it's more accurately, Variable Ratio steering. That being said, apparently, this 2nd wheel was a new iteration, and required new software that wasn't available until yesterday; or so I was told. They had to download it to their computers, then program my car. Works great now.

Excellent! So now all works, even the "adaptive" part?