Adaptive steering fault

Mine was in for 5 days, they replaced the Steering Wheel.

Only had it back for 1 day and had to take it back to the dealer the following day.

They replaced the Steering wheel with a different Part # than what was on the car originally. Was told that the Steering Wheel that includes the steering wheel control module was discontinued and super-seeded with a different part #.

Unfortunately the Adaptive Steering change from Normal to Sport no longer works. The car feels like it is stuck in Sport mode and it is very twitchy on the highway. Unacceptable. Now in another loaner.

Escalated to Ford Customer Care and the the Cust Supp Manager was extremely rude and arrogant. Offered no apology nor any compensation or comfort that the issue would be fixed.

Did you get what his name was? There is one in our general region who really is an arrogant ass. I may have dealt with the same one before.

All of these active steering issues are concerning me considering that I precisely get a new car to avoid issues like these. I have an insane schedule with absolutely no time for anything, so this is disheartening to hear. I do not like this active steering and did not want it, but Ford decided to make it standard for the 2016's. To me, it feels way too artificial and the constantly changing steering ratios are throwing me off.

How many miles do you guys have and what is your build date? Maybe there is a pattern?

Depends as some like it but many true driving enthusiasts will not. Until recently, I did not know that Ford was utilizing the Edge Sport to roll out this brand new technology that they have numerous patents for. I thought that it was on other vehicles in their lineup as well. While I do have an 8 year 125k mile premiumcare ESP, I am such an insanely busy person that I generally don't have time for annoyances in my life. I figured that at 8 year/125k miles, I will have gotten my monies worth out of this amazingly fun SUV if something catastrophic were to go wrong. When I have a little more time, I will have to see if there really is a way to deactivate it. Since all of the mechanisms for the active steering are inside the actual steering wheel itself, I wonder if one could just swap in a non active steering part number and get it to work if I were to have issues with it. Just to give you guys an idea of just how high tech this active steering system is, this is a system that is currently reserved for mostly high end luxury cars. Some of them do it via software combined with a steer by wire system(a VERY scary proposition for technological luddites like me). Others have very complex mechanisms in the actual steering system itself. Ford managed to develop a system that houses all of the mechanisms right into the actual steering wheel. In fact if you are OCD like I am and really pay attention, you can hear it very lightly clicking and whirring around.

I was very happy with the car and the steering until the fault appeared. The fault did not seem to affect the steering but the shop said driving with fault could be dangerous as the 'computer' might all of a sudden detect the fault reading and shut things down. So it sits!

My build date was late april early may going by the delivery date from the line as I don't have the car to check.

My customer care person was of no use just said nothing could be done but wait til end of Nov. I had some choice comments.

Can you disable it by pulling fuse 71?

I am homestly not sure, but I am going in for my first oil change within the month so I will have to ask the techs there what they think about that. I did consider that except that I am unsure how the computer will respond to that. With it being a variable ratio system, I would also be concerned with how it would affect the effective steering ratio. When I posed this question around the time of delivery, they did tell me that it would not be easy. I am sure I can eventually get used to it, but I often back into very tight spots in underground garages downtown and I can never figure it out because I have been used to a set ratio my entire life. I also tend to oversteer making tight turns because the ratios tighten up at low speeds, but it does feel very good on the highway and on twisted roads.

I was very happy with the car and the steering until the fault appeared. The fault did not seem to affect the steering but the shop said driving with fault could be dangerous as the 'computer' might all of a sudden detect the fault reading and shut things down. So it sits!

My build date was late april early may going by the delivery date from the line as I don't have the car to check.

My customer care person was of no use just said nothing could be done but wait til end of Nov. I had some choice comments.

How many miles are you at? It seems like a lot of Canadians in this thread with active steering issues.

It sounds to me that Ford is utilizing the Edge to roll this brand new piece of technology out. Maybe even test the waters and see how people like it. Just how cutting edge this is(pardon the pun) is pretty amazing. The tech I spoke with at the time of delivery told me that they were told that the system is designed to revert to a standard steering system in the event of failure, but this thread proves otherwise. We will have to wait and see though as it could have been just an isolated run of bad parts. Ford owns the patents as this was their baby, but I believe it is manufactured and or also engineered by some German company. I guess we should sort of be flattered to see something like this that is normally reserved for higher end luxury cars, except I precisely stick with Fords because I don't like those luxury car repair bills. Some of those German cars in particular can bankrupt you after the warranty ends.

That is why everyone should post in this thread the miles they currently have or had at time of failure, build date, and where you live.

• Like 1

It sounds to me that Ford is utilizing the Edge to roll this brand new piece of technology out. Maybe even test the waters and see how people like it. Just how cutting edge this is(pardon the pun) is pretty amazing. The tech I spoke with at the time of delivery told me that they were told that the system is designed to revert to a standard steering system in the event of failure, but this thread proves otherwise. We will have to wait and see though as it could have been just an isolated run of bad parts. Ford owns the patents as this was their baby, but I believe it is manufactured and or also engineered by some German company. I guess we should sort of be flattered to see something like this that is normally reserved for higher end luxury cars, except I precisely stick with Fords because I don't like those luxury car repair bills. Some of those German cars in particular can bankrupt you after the warranty ends.

That is why everyone should post in this thread the miles they currently have or had at time of failure, build date, and where you live.

Everyone should report it to NHTSA for investigation!

https://www-odi.nhts...hicleComplaint/

Edited by Chris Furman

I agree that everyone should report it just to make sure. From the sound of it, this is probably an isolated incident. Ford's Edge Sport take rate has been reported to be around 10%. That means that if Ford sold 130k 2016 Edges, they sold around 1300 Sports that have active steering not including the few "all in" Titaniums that may have this option. This is the only Edge forum on the internet if you do not count the Edge Sport facebook message board and the Edge Facebook message board run by this forum's owner. If this was really widespread, we probably would have seen many more of those Sport owners chime in. I just get wierded out by this type of stuff because I am such an insanely busy person. My Toyota has a tyre that has been leaking air for the past several months and I still have not been able to take it in despite the fact that I bought a road hazard warranty for it from the Toyota dealer.

Edited by junehhan

Did you get what his name was? There is one in our general region who really is an arrogant ass. I may have dealt with the same one before.

All of these active steering issues are concerning me considering that I precisely get a new car to avoid issues like these. I have an insane schedule with absolutely no time for anything, so this is disheartening to hear. I do not like this active steering and did not want it, but Ford decided to make it standard for the 2016's. To me, it feels way too artificial and the constantly changing steering ratios are throwing me off.

How many miles do you guys have and what is your build date? Maybe there is a pattern?

The Cust. Support Manager of the managers was named "Chris."

In the emails they send, "Julianna" is the Cust Supp Manager, but she doesn't work there anymore and she reported to this guy named Chris.

Ah, so that is what the light clicking is. I have heard it and I hate it. Before all the errors coming up, I kind of liked the steering. It seemed smooth and tight. But also, like some here, I hate new fangled tech. I can hardly believe that this "tech" is actually in the steering wheel itself. It all makes me feel very squirrely.

And also like many here, I buy new to avoid this crap. If they tell me I will need to pay for a rental I may go ballistic. Not what I signed up for. I pretty much want them to take the car back and reverse the lease deal. Although I know I will not get back the RX350 I traded in :(

It first happened to me about 2200 miles or so. And now the darn warning comes up 2 times per day at random. I do not know my build date but I picked it up after ordering it on July 18, this year.

Choosing a car these days is very stressful.

Will Ford step up?

Edited by CapeDave

Just give then a chance to do their job and get things fixed. Something this new unfortunately means there are sometimes issues that will need to be fixed. If you feel things are not progressing like they should, escalate it to the service manager, then the dealer GM. If that does nothing, your next step in the chain is with Ford's customer service hotline where a regional representative will get involved. Does your dealer offer loaners? Mine does but not all of them do. Just be polite and stay completely factual during correspondence. Once it gets resolved, I bet you will be back to loving this car again. Also give the Ford seats some time. They usually get much more comfortable after they have had a chance to break in which can take 5k miles or more.

Just give then a chance to do their job and get things fixed. Something this new unfortunately means there are sometimes issues that will need to be fixed. If you feel things are not progressing like they should, escalate it to the service manager, then the dealer GM. If that does nothing, your next step in the chain is with Ford's customer service hotline where a regional representative will get involved. Does your dealer offer loaners? Mine does but not all of them do. Just be polite and stay completely factual during correspondence. Once it gets resolved, I bet you will be back to loving this car again. Also give the Ford seats some time. They usually get much more comfortable after they have had a chance to break in which can take 5k miles or more.

Thanks. Good advice. Except the main reason for the uncomfortable seats is a metal rod that is not padded correctly, so it would be impossible for it to get more comfortable over time.

But be calm and factual during negotiations is great advice :)

Thanks. Good advice. Except the main reason for the uncomfortable seats is a metal rod that is not padded correctly, so it would be impossible for it to get more comfortable over time.

But be calm and factual during negotiations is great advice :)

Yeah, emotions can run tense on both sides of the fence during issues like this, but staying 100% factual with the details while remaining calm will often help you to build rapport with others and they may be much more motivated to go the extra mile. The Titanium seats must be different as I thought they were all the same except for the faux suede inserts on the Sport. A good automotive upholstery shop can actually do wonders for the comfort of your seats. I even bet your dealer knows of some they could refer you to. Due to seat frame constraints, they will not be able to turn them into Lincoln Continental like couch cushions, but they can really do wonders.

• Like 1

Yeah, emotions can run tense on both sides of the fence during issues like this, but staying 100% factual with the details while remaining calm will often help you to build rapport with others and they may be much more motivated to go the extra mile. The Titanium seats must be different as I thought they were all the same except for the faux suede inserts on the Sport. A good automotive upholstery shop can actually do wonders for the comfort of your seats. I even bet your dealer knows of some they could refer you to. Due to seat frame constraints, they will not be able to turn them into Lincoln Continental like couch cushions, but they can really do wonders.

All the different seats in the different models make for a very confusing choice. Especially as my dealer never had these particular seats to test drive. Stay away from the "perforated" heated and cooled seats if you value your comfort!

I test drove a platinum Edge with heated and cooled seats and I don't remember anything uncomfortable about them. Are you sure yours aren't defective? If not then it must just be a personal issue. There are some complaints about the seat bottoms not being big enough and the cooling not working but don't recall any about that particular problem.

I test drove a platinum Edge with heated and cooled seats and I don't remember anything uncomfortable about them. Are you sure yours aren't defective? If not then it must just be a personal issue. There are some complaints about the seat bottoms not being big enough and the cooling not working but don't recall any about that particular problem.

You mean Titanium Edge? I do wish the seat bottom was a little wider and softer, but not terribly matched for the Sport trim level.