Changing Spark Plugs, found extra hose in back of engine cover..

mrtm2016

I watched this video to guide me along the process of DIY spark plugs changes...

I get all the way to removing the cover off the engine itself and it seems that he assumed maybe somewhere along the way I would figure out something on my own. At the back of the cover itself is a 90 degree bent house with what appears to be a metal casing around it. The top of the house is clamped to the the back of the cover unit and the bottom presumably goes into the engine. He didn't seem to detail it in the video (maybe I had a few too many beers and missed it?) or my Edge is just special. I doubt my car is special, other than the fact it seems to just be a piece of work. Attached is a series of pictures starting from the top, moving to the left side of the cover, and a closeup of the hose at the back, hopefully to show y'all the exact position of the hose. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Can anyone guide me with how to properly detach this house to get the top casing off so I can change the back three spark plugs?

Much appreciated, thanks so much.

post-42762-0-75957500-1472104677_thumb.jpgpost-42762-0-42409200-1472104683_thumb.jpgpost-42762-0-76611400-1472104685_thumb.jpgpost-42762-0-02023700-1472104689_thumb.jpg

That's the PCV hose. You pull it off the PCV valve directly, from the other other end with no clamp on it. Maybe a little twisting is needed depending on how stuck it will be to the valve.

Did you disconnect the 2-pin electrical connector in that area from the intake manifold (underneath the manifold)? You will need to feel for that connector; it has a snap fit just like the spark plug wires, just without the orange lock. In addition, you will need to disconnect the electrical connector from the PCV valve once you get the intake off. These valves are heated, a 2007-only feature. I could not turn the valves by hand, so a pliers/wrench was used, which of course ruined the old PCV valve :)

This entire thread is useful, but here are some pics from my post that may help:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/8724-sparkplug-replacement-job-info-with-photos/page-3?do=findComment&comment=130235

• Like 1

I did address the PCV but mine is much different than the 2007. The 2007 (as stated) was a one off with the heated pcv. I did make a separate video which you may not of seen but still it was on a 2008 without a heat PCV. Either way a bit of a pain to change but nothing special. I changed the 2008 PCV without removing the intake manifold so it can be done.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I was a little OCD but very easily could have missed it in the video. By-the-by, you guys are so responsive, this is so helpful. As I'm new to cars I just don't want to leave anything to chance and would rather ask questions and research than just go in and do it myself.

I'll definitely be sure to unplug the wires in the back, thanks so much guys!