Keyless Entry Keypad Problem

oskar27

Its 4 months now I have my 2016 Edge Titanium and I must say it’s the best car I ever had, absolutely beautiful.

The only annoying problem I have is with the Keyless entry keypad which I use often and a few times I was almost locked out. I have a 5 digits number to enter and although I enter it correctly, the door does not unlock always at the first try.

Does anyone else has the same problem?

Is there a particular way to punch the numbers?

I know the manual says to key in the numbers slowly but this does not help

Burrcold, I use mine all the time in my 2009. I am a guy (no purse). I hate to load up my pockets with junk. Many times (especially wearing shorts), I just throw my keys on the console and use the keypad to reenter.

Here is a trick we can all use. Because we have a keypad, hide your second key somewhere inside the car. If you lose your keys (think on vacation, many states away from where you live), simply use the keypad to get in and grab your spare key and go!

I can only speak about the 2016 with intelligent access keys, the only way you can lock one of these keys in the vehicle is to use the keyless entry pad by pressing the last two buttons [7-8 and 9.0] at the same time, [no need to enter your code first] or by using another intelligent access key. If you wish to leave an extra one of these keys in the vehicle as a back up, you have to wrap in in foil in order to not have it remain active.

Yes I bought a 3rd Access key online and programmed it myself following the instructions in the Owner Manual, it took me several tries before it was successful. I also had to find my own factory keypad code, because the dealership could not locate my card with the number and wanted me to go to the service dept. which I didn't have time for. I was able to find the code myself using the instructions in the manual, again that took a few tries. I think I am following the instructions exactly but for some reason it took several tries ??

It's very timing sensitive.

A WORD OF CAUTION

Do not try to program a bi-directional remote start IA fob (Fusion/MKZ and Edge/MKX e.g.) to more than one vehicle. It won't work. It will program the key for the new vehicle but it will no longer work on the old vehicle. Luckily my local dealer gave me a brand new key at no extra charge even though I was beyond the 3 yr b2b warranty for my Fusion. I only asked them to reprogram them and I was willing to pay for it. They had just done the first free service on our MKX and were looking for an excellent rating. They got it. Also got a free loaner for my Fusion while they performed 3 recalls I'd been saving up. We'll see if I get the same service on future visits.

• Like 1

Some of you made a good point about the foil and hiding the spare key. My 2009 allows me to have the key in the car with no foil. It looks like the newer models (not sure what year it started), won't allow the door to lock with the key in the car. My guess is it is whatever year the push button starter came out.

On my 09 MKX, I hit the first button, wait a second and then enter the remaining numbers fairly quickly. Opens every time. (BTW, my 09 uses the old fashioned key type FOB. I have a second FOB hidden in the car if I need it, and have been known to lock the car while running. Just plug in the door code to unlock).

On my 09 MKX, I hit the first button, wait a second and then enter the remaining numbers fairly quickly. Opens every time. (BTW, my 09 uses the old fashioned key type FOB. I have a second FOB hidden in the car if I need it, and have been known to lock the car while running. Just plug in the door code to unlock).

I will give that a try enigma-2