Basic Info

2012 Ford Edge SEL FWD

2.0L Ecoboost

116xxx Miles

Tow Package

3rd owner

245/50/R20

Spark notes on the story:

Purchased early January 2017 With the known DOOR AJAR issue.

Took to dealer for this repair and asked for any recommended service and I requested a transmission fluid change as well.

Dealer advised not to change Transmission fluid as "it may actually cause more problems"

but advised on a spark plug change.

According to dealer they did an inspection on everything else (fluids,Belts,timing, Filters ETC) and it all appeared to be fine. But I'm no mechanic so how the hell do I know.

Replaced the plugs (for an outrageous cost might I add seeing as the 2.0 only needs 4 at 3$ a plug) and the door ajar issue running me about $475.

Now the engine has started to stutter a bit but only at low RPM. Almost feels to me like the engine may be misfiring on one cylinder but not all of the time and only when I am stepping on the gas lightly. so far no engine lights or warnings. and it seems to be running perfect at higher rpm and highway speeds. typically i experience this issue in the morning when i first start driving the car and keep in mind it had been strange weather here in KY all the way from 20 degrees to 65 in the last week or so.

I had mentioned in a previous post that i had thought this may be turbo lag but someone dismissed that theory. Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

B

If you want to minimize cost of ownership, you should invest first in an OBD II adapter and software such as Forscan Lite/Torque Pro for your smartphone/tablet. This will give you monitoring and diagnostics capability, especially important for the Ecoboost engines as they are very heavily computer controlled.

The stutter could be for multiple reasons, but first thing to do always is to pull codes from the PCM see what it has to say. It could be a low pressure fuel pump, high pressure fuel pump, or fuel injector issue, for instance. The low pressure fuel pump has failed, IIRC, on a couple of people here with 2.0 EB Edges. A fuel injector could be leaking down overnight, but that would be evident on startup as fumes coming out the tailpipe and perhaps increased cranking time. You can monitor your Edge's behavior using the OBD tools mentioned above.

I would also check & clean the intercooler. Sometimes crud accumulates in there and gets pulled into the intake, and if enough, can hydrolock the engine. Well worth scoping out.

As far as trans fluid goes, as long as it is not burnt and is free of debris, you can perform multiple drain & fills to replace the old fluid safely. NO FLUSHES. Only D/Fs or fluid exchanges. There is no replaceable filter, so a flush can be very dangerous.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

No threads on 2.0 EB Edge intercooler cleaning that I am aware of. Might be on the Escape or Focus forums tho. The norm on the 3.5 EB is to take off the pipe coming off the intercooler going to the throttle body and using the oil dipstick to get a feel for how deep the crud, if any, may be. You could also get a usb borescope to actually view the inside of the intercooler, but if there is stuff, will have to clean it up after.

Try taking just the pipe at the throttle body off, check the inside of the pipe and the inside of the throttle body for pooling oil/crud. If they are clean or have just a light misting of oil, most likely the issue lies elsewhere.

Read the codes, there may be a random misfire, or misfire at one particular cylinder, etc. P0300-P0304

• 1 year later...

I know its bit old but I would start at the plugs. Or fuel. Those are the two most common. Low oct fuel can cause low speed pre ignition that will give those symptoms. That is very bad. My guess would be improper gapped plugs. They are supposed to come pre gapped from ford at around .032 but Ive had them in the 40s. I personally run one step colder and gap them down to 28 thou. Very common thing for the st and higher hp ecoboost. Helps with detonation. Those are the most common things that cause what you describe.

• Like 1