H&R SPORT SPRINGS ON G2 EDGE SPORT

Hi All,

I just did my own install on 2017 sport of HR springs and Adeco sway bar. I will publish some tips on the install and include torque specs as well. The above torque spec for the Strut top nut is wrong...it is like 90ftlbs or so...I will check later. I think the plate bolts are 26ftlbs...again I need to check when at home.

Anyway the ride is stiffer, and the handling much better, mostly because of the stiffer sway bar. I ran the sway bar for a week before doing the Spring install

Some quick tips are on the FordSportEdge fb page

• Like 1

Can someone email the instructions to me please? I get an error when I try to open the files.

Thanks!

turbows6@hotmail.com

will do.

here are some other tips

You need to remove the top shock mounts of the rear shocks or the subframe won't go low enough because the shock will limit its drop..

You should take the exhaust off the hangers and let it hang lower. Otherwise the sway bar rests on the exhaust stressing the system when trying to get the springs out.

I found you have to fully disconnect both sides of the subframe...hence completely disconnected. I used 2 floor jacks to support, lower and raise.

Once the subframe is hanging, your 1st thought is "how the hell am I going to get it to line up." (That's when I broke out the Bourbon)

Oddly I think the springs force the alignment when jacking up the subframe.

The service manual say the rear subframe Torx bolts are to be torqued to 76 ftlb. Mine weren't on that tight, and when tightening that just seemed too tight for those bolts into the frame. I stopped at 60 and used blue loctite. EDIT Misread the manual, Torq is 41 ftlbs!

I wrote down all the torques specs except I have to find them.

Edited by NoDTMF
  • Like 4

We posted a DIY Doc of which it is highly recommended against dropping the entire rear subframe but instead one side at a time in an effort 2 retain alignment.

BTW, we didn't have 2 drop the exhaust, it wasn't N the way...;-)

agreed, didn't touch my exhaust or remove my wipers/cowl and did one side of subframe at a time. along with the DIY file a 2G Fusion how to will show you how to exactly do the rear of the edge, they are 95% the same and the 5% difference does not hinder the process

I actually used this and Fords PDF files since I was the first guinea pig outside of a SEMA vehicle.

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=25&highlight=spring+install

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

Well,I went re-read the notes to see if I missed something. In the Fusion forum I did find these tips (that echo my experience) from one of the guys that did the install:

Rears:

-lowering subframe is more tricky than alluded too early in this thread.

-passenger side was tough. Exhaust keeps it from dropping enough. Gotta muscle it. I also had to loosen drivers side subframe bolts to get spring out

-driver side subframe drops easily. Much quicker. Do this side first.

-remove splash guards covering Torx 50 and front subframe bolt. I didn’t. Harder to work around but possible.

When I got to the stage of loosening the the driver's side bolts I just took them out. I remember worrying that I might bend the bolts when one side was hanging significantly lower.

I have been driving it for a couple of weeks and will take it for an alignment, so we'll how far out it is. It feels fine.

If I had to do it again, I would remove the exhaust from the hangers and drop both sides. No forcing of anything required. But you need at least 2 floor jacks and a bottle jack (and Bourbon)

Edited by NoDTMF
  • Like 3

Can someone email the instructions to me please? I get an error when I try to open the files.

Thanks!

turbows6@hotmail.com

If anybody else is looking for the reference from snmjim, here's a couple of Google doc links that I think should work if the forums links are down:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w_5VqTUoy3GNuYwlo5-mlileZAz7givd/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OfMmqazx_RG5AmuRgxwU2X2ruubV4GA3/view

• Like 2

If anybody else is looking for the reference from snmjim, here's a couple of Google doc links that I think should work if the forums links are down:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w_5VqTUoy3GNuYwlo5-mlileZAz7givd/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OfMmqazx_RG5AmuRgxwU2X2ruubV4GA3/view

Thnx redlancer 4 the support.

We've emailed Admin about the broken PDF link who sent us direct to the site owner, of which theres been NO response 4 Wks later.

Just one more thing with this site that's demotivating our efforts.

• Like 1

FINALLY got around to installing the H&R springs and rear swaybar. Took about 7 hours from grabbing the jack to lowering the Edge back down. Most of that time is the first front and first rear; once you do one side the opposite side is easy.

Followed snmjim's install guides and helped a lot, especially with the back (they're easier than it sounds/looks once you get in there)

Alignment seems unaffected, will be able to tell better tomorrow after some highway driving.

few pics fresh out of the garage. Running 275/45 21's with 5mm spacers. No rubbing at all of full lock-to-lock turn (I wasn't sure that would be the case, but so far so good :) )

post-33808-0-92893100-1536026398_thumb.jpg

post-33808-0-75645000-1536026407_thumb.jpg

post-33808-0-00430200-1536026414_thumb.jpg

Edited by redlancer
  • Like 3

FINALLY got around to installing the H&R springs and rear swaybar. Took about 7 hours from grabbing the jack to lowering the Edge back down. Most of that time is the first front and first rear; once you do one side the opposite side is easy.

Followed snmjim's install guides and helped a lot, especially with the back (they're easier than it sounds/looks once you get in there)

Alignment seems unaffected, will be able to tell better tomorrow after some highway driving.

few pics frech out of the garage. Running 275/45 21's with 5mm spacers. No rubbing at all of full lock-to-lock turn (I wasn't sure that would be the case, but so far so good :) )

Awesome ride man & so love the color!

Thnx 4 the Kudos, we try our best to support the platform & owners.

Thnx so much for reposting our front & rear step-by-step DIY PDF that we initially posted of which the forums site broke and we've misplaced in our files and have yet to find it for reposting...lol

Thnx to you we'll be able to update the broken PDF link in the initial post.

We really appreciate your support...

Edited by snmjim

You should be able to redownload them from the links I posted yesterday. From there you could try to edit them back into the original post or post them again.

Learned long ago, if you find something on the 'net that's useful - grab it. No guarantee it will be there the next time you go looking for it ;)

Edited by redlancer
  • Like 3

few pics fresh out of the garage. Running 275/45 21's with 5mm spacers. No rubbing at all of full lock-to-lock turn (I wasn't sure that would be the case, but so far so good :) )

Can I ask where you bought your wheel spacers and what the cost was? Xtra and I have an issue. The OEM spare donut wheel doesn't fit over our Rotora brake kit calipers, so I am currently driving without a spare...no bueno. I'm hoping I can simply space it away from the caliper a bit to create enough room. I am having difficulty finding spacers with the proper bore and bolt circle. Thanks!

• Like 3

Can I ask where you bought your wheel spacers and what the cost was? Xtra and I have an issue. The OEM spare donut wheel doesn't fit over our Rotora brake kit calipers, so I am currently driving without a spare...no bueno. I'm hoping I can simply space it away from the caliper a bit to create enough room. I am having difficulty finding spacers with the proper bore and bolt circle. Thanks!

used these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQWJ35H

that had the correct lug spacing and centerbore. HOWEVER, couldn't find a set that were for our lug size (14mm)

Used a fresh 9/16" bit (14.2mm) in a drill press and a stepdown bit to give the enlarged hole a bit of chamfer. Bit self-centered on the existing lug hole and fit absolutely perfect. Would never know it wasn't machined for that size from the start.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

front was pretty good for sure! the rear camber tho ...

Yeah...well remember I dropped the complete subframe, that probably had something to do with it. But I haven't heard of anyone lucky enough to get it in-spec using either replacement method.

Next up is mud flaps that are supposed to fit the Sport trim. we'll see.

• Like 2

Yeah...well remember I dropped the complete subframe, that probably had something to do with it. But I haven't heard of anyone lucky enough to get it in-spec using either replacement method.

Next up is mud flaps that are supposed to fit the Sport trim. we'll see.

I'm in the market for functional quality custom fitting mud flaps as well.

Please keep us posted as to your findings... :hat_tip:

FYI,

Early on we found that the Ford optional molded mud flaps for the front or maybe it was the rear, not sure which ones, would fit but I wanted a full set. Hopefully since a year has passed you'll have better results... :salute:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1