Whining noise - 2008 Edge SEL AWD

rbalaian

I have a 2008 SEL AWD with about 2,000mi on it. Ever since I got it, its been making a very low volume whining noise that you can hear inside the cockpit as well as up to 50 feet away from the car. I took it to the dealer, and after 3 days, they tell me that its the inline fuel pump, and that the noise is NORMAL for my car.

Does anyone else hear this? And if so, does it make you crazy too? It drives me mad, and the dealer isn't too interested in fixing it.

I'm also curious if anyone has been able to have it repaired somehow.

Thanks all.

rb

My 2007 Edge whine noise is now constant, it started when I travelled over 65mph now it's pretty much at any speed. Ford says, "they can't hear anything!" I have tried several times.......so go figure, I think their technicians are stone deaf! My car is going in for a service next week, I will try again, maybe I will find somebody that has good hearing..

I've got an update here...

I spoke with the general manager of the dealership, who put me in touch with the service manager, who asked to see the car again. I took it in earlier today, and it took him about 4 seconds to hear the noise in question.

He brought over a lead tech, and it took him about the same amount of time to hear and diagnose the issue as being the fuel pump. They've ordered a replacement and I'll take the car back to have it installed when it arrives.

Does anyone know the Tech Bulletin process for Ford? I would think that if there were enough of them making this noise there would be a TSB issued, but I suppose its still early in the model year.

Thanks everyone.

rb

• 1 month later...

I have a 2007 SE AWD with a little of 4,000 miles on it and have had whining from the rear end. They have inspected the tires, ball bearing, and recently determined it was the rear end. Ford directed a whole rear end stump to be sent from the factory and did not want the dealership to even open up the rear end, and wanted to inspect it themselves. They replaced the rear end, and now I have a roaring still. It get most noticable at 40 mph and over (louder). Going into dealership on Wednesday to speak to service manager and another guy to drive and show them. I have called Ford and told them I am wanting them to replace it because of this.

• 1 month later...

We have a 2008 Ford Edge Limited. At about 6000 miles we noticed a whining/humming coming from the rear end as well. This would usually occur over 40mph or so. We took it in to the dealership...they took it for a drive and notified us a short while later that this noise is due to a "defective" Constant Speed Plate in the axle of the vehicle. They explained that it is covered under warranty, but they will probably have to replace the whole rear axle which makes me a little nervous. I will keep you all posted on the results.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD with 3300 miles and just began to hear a very distinct whining/hum noise coming from the rear. It can be heard from both inside and outside the car, doesn't matter if the car is idle or on the freeway. Based on prior experiences I've had with fuel pumps in other big cars, the noise does indeed sound like a problematic fuel pump. I will be taking it into the dealer tomorrow

to see what they can find. I would love to have some ammunition to take with me, just in case they dismiss the issue as "normal".

rbalaian,

I was wondering if you had another update on your situation, and whether or not the fuel pump replacement did the trick?

If anyone else has had similar problems, i would also like to hear from them.

Thanks

I've got an update here...

I spoke with the general manager of the dealership, who put me in touch with the service manager, who asked to see the car again. I took it in earlier today, and it took him about 4 seconds to hear the noise in question.

He brought over a lead tech, and it took him about the same amount of time to hear and diagnose the issue as being the fuel pump. They've ordered a replacement and I'll take the car back to have it installed when it arrives.

Does anyone know the Tech Bulletin process for Ford? I would think that if there were enough of them making this noise there would be a TSB issued, but I suppose its still early in the model year.

Thanks everyone.

rb

I have a 2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD with 3300 miles and just began to hear a very distinct whining/hum noise coming from the rear. It can be heard from both inside and outside the car, doesn't matter if the car is idle or on the freeway. Based on prior experiences I've had with fuel pumps in other big cars, the noise does indeed sound like a problematic fuel pump. I will be taking it into the dealer tomorrow

to see what they can find. I would love to have some ammunition to take with me, just in case they dismiss the issue as "normal".

rbalaian,

I was wondering if you had another update on your situation, and whether or not the fuel pump replacement did the trick?

If anyone else has had similar problems, i would also like to hear from them.

Thanks

Hi dammm. :D In my opinion, your best ammunition would be the following: If the Service Department tells you that the whine is "normal" ask the Service Manager to sit in another Edge or two with you and show you that they make the same noise. If they do not, it certainly can not be considered normal. If you take the time to check a few Edges on the lot beforehand, you will have proof to show them right there. Let's hope they are reasonable. Even that does not work sometimes with an unreasonable Service Rep.

That would likely be a better strategy than just telling the Service Reps some anecdotal evidence from a website forum (us). Believe me, I am not taking their side, just thinking ahead to what will work better for you. Most Service Department Reps just couldn't care care less when we tell them that "I read on a Fusion Forum about...".

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 5 months later...

I have a 2007 Edge and I to am having a whinning noise. I heard the noise from the first day and I was told that they might know what the issue is when I bring it in for my checks. They also claimed I was the first with this issue. I took my car in again to get fixed and I was told the that it was in my mind. Then the second time I was told there is a noise but they don't know and that there is only one person that works there that could be able to fix it and that I needed my car to stay there for a few days. I asked for a loaner car due to I work out of town at times and they said no because of my traveling.

My family has been long time ford customers and I feel like I'm not getting what I paid for and thrown through hops just to have a nice running car.

Does anyone have ideas on what the issue can be?

The whinning noise is ALL the time. I could be going 20km and up and the noise is there.

JB

• 6 months later...

So i was checking the internet for my problem glad i found that im not alone here..... my problem is the same at exactly 40 mph a humming starts from the rear of my car.... after that it becomes so loud it starts drowning out my stereo....

So... i went to Ford there techs told me its both my rear control arms.. not a big car freak so i have no clue what there talking about... i called them today to see if the parts where in ...1 is in so im waiting for my 2nd ill let you all know if this fixs it

I had a hum from the rear as well. Kinda like mud tires on a pick-up........turned out to be a bad rear wheel bearing.

I also have purchased a 2007 Ford Edge AWD that has a humming noise coming from what sounds like the back of the vehicle. Put new tires on it but the noise is still there. Just wanting to make sure that once you had the wheel bearing changed the noise was gone.

I also have purchased a 2007 Ford Edge AWD that has a humming noise coming from what sounds like the back of the vehicle. Put new tires on it but the noise is still there. Just wanting to make sure that once you had the wheel bearing changed the noise was gone.

ok so they got parts in and WOOSH its fixed no more humming BS the problem was yes Bearings on the part holding the rear tire to the control arms my bad part was on the passenger side. ( shrugs something to that effect i am not a big car fixing kind of guy)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I had the same wine at 8K miles. After a LOT of work it ended up being as simple as the right rear wheel bearing. I now have 40K on this Edge with no other problems.

I too have the high pitched whine from the rear end. I suspect it too is a rear end bearing as it is something obviously spinning very fast, and it seems to go away when side loaded (during cornering). Also just started getting a mild gear oil smell in the cockpit suggesting something getting hot. It also takes longer to happen as the ambient air temp goes down. Only occurs after driving about 20 minutes. Has anyone tried a different rear end lube (after possible bearing replacement)?

My '08 MKX had the same problem/noise. Took it in yesterday and they replaced both bearings and control arms in the rear. There is a TSB on this as well. Noise is gone. By the way this noise became apparent at around 40mph and only got louder the faster the speed. No charge.

I am perhaps missing something, but it sounds like there are two distinct problems. One is the "low" hum only heard at some degree of speed and seems to be resolved by changing bearings. Two a "high" pitched noise that can be heard at idle and at speed and may or may not be intermittent. Most people, myself included since I do have the high pitched noise, suspect that this is a fuel pump problem although information from this forum suggests that replacing the fuel pump does not solve the problem. Note in my case for the most part the noise goes away when the vehicle gets warmed up so by the time i get to the dealers it is gone.

I am perhaps missing something, but it sounds like there are two distinct problems. One is the "low" hum only heard at some degree of speed and seems to be resolved by changing bearings. Two a "high" pitched noise that can be heard at idle and at speed and may or may not be intermittent. Most people, myself included since I do have the high pitched noise, suspect that this is a fuel pump problem although information from this forum suggests that replacing the fuel pump does not solve the problem. Note in my case for the most part the noise goes away when the vehicle gets warmed up so by the time i get to the dealers it is gone.

The "high" pitched whine in my MKX doesn't seem as noticable now, after a 18 months. Either its quieter or I have grown used to it. The noise is/was most noticable when idling, since there's no road noise to cover it. A Ford master mechanic friend advised me relatively quickly that its the fuel pump and there's no guarantee that a replacement wouldn't do the same thing. Since it is no long as noticable to me, I've let it go.

More info that might add to the picture, especially when added to everyone else's data. When I got my Edge back from having the PTO seals replaced the heating system was off. I did not notice it straight away but after a few km the side window started to frost up and it was getting cold since the outside temp was about -15C. When I switched on the heating there was my "high" pitched wine. It did not last long but it was there. This supports a previous post where one morning when the whine was really bad and did not go away I heard it "winding down" when I switched the engine off. Whilst it does sound like a fuel pump I did also mention in one post that it also sounded like a heater fan but I didn't think it could be in a "new" vehicle. Bearing in mind all my other heater problems I am starting to wonder if this might just be one more and that the whine is actually the heater fan bearing. Anyone know how difficult it is to replace the fan?

• 6 months later...

I am going through an issue with Ford on the High Pitch noise which has been label fuel pump by the dealer ship. Ford has refused to let the dealerships replace the fuel pump. I have filed Attorney General Consumer Protection and copy to Ford Motor Company. I received a letter back yesterday from the Ford Motor Company state its normal and will not do anything. Hopefully the Attorney General office will get somewhere as they suggest the three R's Repair, Replace, or Refund.

My 2010 Edge Lmtd AWD had amber wrench light come on several times and the care would not move but engine running, on the 4th time the check engine light came on finally made it to the dealership and the Throttle body and engine assy had to be replaced this was at 1500 miles. Now at 2000 miles the high pitch noise has started and have taken it to two dealership that had called Ford before replacing the fuel pump as one had stated this is a problem a lot of Edge owners. What I got back was normal characteristic of the car. Today nothing has been done dealership call Ford before doing any work and Ford tells them not to; I am hoping that the States Attorney General for Consumer Complaints gets this straighten out. I plan on going to dealerships and letting customers know about the problem if they are buying Edges or post signs out along the road where dealership are located in our area.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2007 SE AWD with a little of 4,000 miles on it and have had whining from the rear end. They have inspected the tires, ball bearing, and recently determined it was the rear end. Ford directed a whole rear end stump to be sent from the factory and did not want the dealership to even open up the rear end, and wanted to inspect it themselves. They replaced the rear end, and now I have a roaring still. It get most noticable at 40 mph and over (louder). Going into dealership on Wednesday to speak to service manager and another guy to drive and show them. I have called Ford and told them I am wanting them to replace it because of this.

2007 Ford Edge, 59,000 miles and I was hearing a whine from the rear end, thought it might be worn tires, replaced them, then replaced again but the noise kept getting worse. The dealer found both rear hub bearings were worn out and inorder to prevent it from reoccuring I had to replace the trailing arms too. Since I was now passed my warranty, I had to cover this. $1,300. The rear wheel bearings wear out before I have to replace the first set of spark plugs? They said it was not a design flaw but just wear. So it was designed this way?

HAVE YOUR REAR HUB BEARINGS AND TRAILING ARMS CHANGED BEFORE 60,000 MILES

I have a 2007 Edge and I to am having a whinning noise. I heard the noise from the first day and I was told that they might know what the issue is when I bring it in for my checks. They also claimed I was the first with this issue. I took my car in again to get fixed and I was told the that it was in my mind. Then the second time I was told there is a noise but they don't know and that there is only one person that works there that could be able to fix it and that I needed my car to stay there for a few days. I asked for a loaner car due to I work out of town at times and they said no because of my traveling.

My family has been long time ford customers and I feel like I'm not getting what I paid for and thrown through hops just to have a nice running car.

Does anyone have ideas on what the issue can be?

The whinning noise is ALL the time. I could be going 20km and up and the noise is there.

JB

2007 Ford Edge, 59,000 miles and I was hearing a whine from the rear end, thought it might be worn tires, replaced them, then replaced again but the noise kept getting worse. The dealer found both rear hub bearings were worn out and inorder to prevent it from reoccuring I had to replace the trailing arms too. Since I was now passed my warranty, I had to cover this. $1,300. The rear wheel bearings wear out before I have to replace the first set of spark plugs? They said it was not a design flaw but just wear. So it was designed this way?