PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

I had posted yesterday in a transmission forum because I assumed the tranny was at fault. Have a 2012 Edge AWD with 47000 miles. Left us stuck in middle of nowhere Sunday after making horrible sounds and then lost power and wheels ground to a stop even after I shifted to neutral! Horrible burning smell too. Could have been very dangerous had we been on a highway instead of a country road. Today dealer says they will replace the PTU. I can see how that was the problem but it was such a violent failure I really hope they check out the tranny and other drivetrain parts too. Has anyone else had a total failure like we had?

• 2 months later...

Jeez, gotta jump through lots of hoops to comment on this site. Anyway, I just went through the same problem with my PTU, although it was leaking for quite a while. 2600 bucks, a new PTU and drive shaft later, I no longer have the leaks. I was told the seals were not replaceable (by dealer), and both neede replaced complete. Just thought I'd share because this problem is not unique to the Edge I think. Though the Milan AWD is rare, I think it shares some of the same design flaws you folks are experiencing. And it's a bit discouraging to see posts that are from last year, which tells me that maybe Ford just decided to not fix the overall problem, which frankly wouldn't surprise me. I guess I'll start my warranty stopwatch now. 00:00. Good luck and safe driving.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2013 Ford Edge 3.7L AWD with 30,900 miles. I drive conservatively. Purchased new. As I type, my Ford dealer is working to repair a gear oil leak from the PTU (Power Transfer Unit). From the blogs it appears this has been a problem since 2007. Wonder why Ford can't seem to come up with a fix that at least gets them 100,000 miles? All I have read says it occurs and reoccurs every 30,000 to 35,000 miles. Before I noticed, we tracked the gear lube from the driveway to the living room carpet, stained for good. The bigger worry is the damage that may have been done to the PTU for lack of lubrication. So watch for the problem every 30K miles. Not Happy!

I have a 2013 Ford Edge 3.7L AWD with 30,900 miles. I drive conservatively, never tow. Purchased new. As I type, my Ford dealer is working to repair a gear oil leak from the PTU (Power Transfer Unit). From the blogs it appears this has been a problem since 2007. Wonder why Ford can't seem to come up with a fix that at least gets them 100,000 miles? All I have read says it occurs and reoccurs every 30,000 to 35,000 miles. Before I noticed, we tracked the gear lube from the driveway to the living room carpet, stained for good. The bigger worry is the damage that may have been done to the PTU for lack of lubrication. So watch for the problem every 30K miles. Not Happy!

• 1 month later...

Just took my '12 MKX to the dealer yesterday, thick, gooey Black drops on the garage floor. I'm thinking that it might be the PTU, will have to wait and see what they say. The car has 31,110 miles on it. They gave me a'12 MKZ as a loaner for now, told me to bring it back to them on Monday (today is Saturday), and they will give me a new MKC for a loaner. Guess they figure it will be a while with my MKX. Will update when more info available.

CARR142 - Lincoln has had a program out called 'Date night', ends this month. Went online, applied for the program, and had a new MKC for 2 days, and got a $100 Visa card for dinner - pretty cool. The MKC was quite a car, plenty of power (2.3L), and handles really GREAT - like it's glued down to the road. The only negative fact about the entire car, was that IT IS smaller than a Edge or MKX for interior room. Not bad for the front seat, but back seat legroom was not as spacious as the Edge/MKX. Otherwise, I was VERY impressed with it.

I see that you are down in Cherry Hill. I'm up in Garwood, Union County (GSP exit 135).

Edited by JOEHIO
  • Like 1

I had a MKC form date night, and guess what - they gave me a red one as a loaner while mine is being repaired, and YES, it is the PTU that's leaking in my MKX. Don't know if it's a seal, gasket, or the unit itself, will post when I get it back. Actually, I'm really starting to like this MKC - handles like a sports car, power with the 2.3L is unreal, especially when you put the trans in "S" (sport) mode.

• Like 1

Got my "X" back today, the dealer put in a NEW PTU, hope all will be okay down the road. The MKC with the 2.3L is like a little rocket ship, will blow the doors off my "X", but I think I still like my "X" better. Not sure how I feel about the push button tranny. It was a novelty, but I had no place to rest my right hand !

• Like 1

They didn't say anything about a warranty on the new PTU, I'll have to check with them on that. The paperwork is filed away already, will have to get it and repost what they wrote, but they did indicate that they willed the tranny with "X" amt of trans fluid. They're pretty good at Maplecrest, been with them 6+ years. I did take a 7 year, 100K extended warranty when I bought the car, so all S/B okay. Happy New year.

Happy New year WWWPerfA_ZNOW. Checked my paperwork from the PTU repair, here is what was written -

Ā 

INSPECT FOR OIL LEAK FOUND LEAK AT PTU METAL IN LEAKED FLUID REMOVE

FILL PLUG TO INSPECT, FOUND NO OIL IN UNIT METAL DEBRIS ON PLUG ADD OIL

AND ROAD TEST HUMMING NOISE COMING FROM PTU REPLACE PTU ASSEMBLY.

Thanks for taking the time, Joe :) Looks like the PTU completely failed due to lack of adequate lubricant, hence the metal shavings & need for replacement.

Ā 

The PTU is an oft-neglected maintenance item, despite what Ford would have you believe about "forever & ever". It has its' own lubricant, and it is questionable whether the fill is correct from the factory, so the installing dealership/repair shop needs to check before releasing back to the customer. Since the spec for the amount of PTU lubricant required is already so low, a lower level of lubricant than spec'd would lead to an unnecessarily early death for the PTU.

And now for a unhappy update. Had a light (but slippery) snow today, when I went to stop, the antilock brakes kicked in, but the entire car shuddered, and had a scraping sound like I had a plow on the front of my MKX. Called the dealer, they said to bring it in Monday, will get a MKC for a loaner. Speaking with a friend tonight about my new problem, he suggested having the car towed to the dealer -what if something major went wrong with the brakes and I had an accident, then what. So, tomorrow morning after church, I will call Lincoln for a tow.