what would cause spittin' and sputterin'?

bamabob

Started out today in my 2.0 ecoboost, engine felt like it was misfiring, running rough. Drove about a mile and the check engine light started flashing, about a mile later things smoothed out and all is back to normal.

What may have happened?

Are there error codes stored that my dealer could check upon my next service visit?

When the check engine light is flashing, it means the engine is misfiring and the engine or catalytic converter can be permanently damaged from overheating. You can drive under such situations, but drive very slowly.

You need to see your dealer as soon as possible as it could be dangerous. (It should set a code or codes).

• Like 1

If you're still under warranty, that's going to be your best course of action. Another thing could be where you get fuel. Try to stay at Top Tier stations, you'll get to maintain optimal performance & fuel mileage as well as long term benefits.

Bad fuel can cause random misfires depending on impurities such as water. We just clicked over 24,000 on our '16 2.0 Ecoboost & haven't experienced any random misfires. We always go to Top Tier stations such as Exxon/Mobil & BP.

• Like 1

Thanks, I always buy good gas, either Exxon/Mobil, Shell or Costco.

I'm hoping it's just one of the sensors for the emissions. Read where they can cause the symptoms I'm experiencing.

Right at 2 years and 15,000 miles so warranty should take care of it.

My only concern is that I am 50 miles from my nearest dealer, don't know if I should try and drive it that far or not. Going to call them Monday and get an appointment and see what they think.

Edited by bamabob

The fuel pump occasionally gives out on prev gen 2.0s, so have them check the FPDM and the FPCM while the Edge is in the shop. Pulling codes is always the first step tho with modern vehicles. codes are not a be all end all diagnostic, but will help narrow down possibilities.

Could just be bad gas as well. Even the best stations are susceptible. Could try running a bottle of HEET through there. (not isoHEET, HEET)

• Like 1

Had it hauled to the dealer yesterday, contacted them today and they found a problem with one of the spark plugs. We'll see, I could drive it a few miles to the store and it would be fine, but after it sat 15 or 20 minutes and I started back home that is when it would start missing.

So I think before we drive 50 miles tomorrow to pick it up I'll call them and have them try that.

• Like 1

would have been more helpful to pull the plug yourself and gotten to take a look at it. Kind of short on info as to what the plug looked like to get a better diagnosis.

I had no idea what the problem was. My best guess was the mouse that built a home on top of the engine had a feast on the wiring. Quite the coincidence that this problem arose a couple of weeks later. http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/23929-wife-saw-a-mouse-this-is-what-i-found-what-is-it/

The service adviser explained that with modern analysis equipment they can pinpoint the cylinder that was the problem and zero in on that. Last time I worked on an engine problem I had room to climb in next to it and take a distributor cap off and set the points or spray some cleaner in the carb to clear it out and free up the choke after spinning the wing nut off that held the cover on the air cleaner. :) Changing the eight spark plugs took less time than figuring out where in the heck they are on engines today.

I usually ask whenever I have a repair done for the provider to save the parts that needed to be replaced. I would have liked to have seen the spark plug that caused this also.

• Like 1

Funny he only checked on plug and replaced on. Did not check the others. so now you have one new plug and three worn plugs. ecoboost require more frequent plug replacement due to the demands placed on them

I was thinking the same thing. but then again only 15000 miles? Hopefully plugs last longer than that, ecoboost or not. The service tech said it was probably a faulty plug, but now I don't know. Anyone else replacing plugs at 15000 miles?

Usually MC plugs are very reliable. Though I remember the fiasco with the SP528 plugs for the 3.5EB. An upgrade to the SP534 took care of THAT problem.

If your drives are primarily highway, you can definitely eke out the 100,000 miles that Ford says you can. Most tho are done by 60K or so. The loss of power is gradual over that time, you get used to it. Then you put new plugs in, and WooHoo!

Tuned Ecoboosts are a different story. There you are definitely looking at replacing plugs annually/every 12-15K miles. The price for power :) But with a Ford 4 banger, at least all the plugs are up front. Even on the 6's, it is not bad at all, very similar to their naturally aspirated siblings.