21 vs 20 inch?

edsasdelli

I have a 2015 Edge Sport with OEM 21s. I need tires and was thinking about dropping down to 20's before I replace my 21s. Does anybody have comparison experience with driving 20 vs 21. Is the ride noticeably different? Is it worth the cost of getting new rims? Love to hear feedback from those that have done it.

There is only ONE all season tire right now for the 21” wheels - Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Luckily they’re not too expensive ($210 or so plus mounting) but no other options and I don’t see tire mfrs jumping on that size. I just put a new set on our 2016 MKX at 23K. Old ones had tread left it had gotten really noisy.

You have far more options on the 20” wheels but of course you have to buy new wheels. I don’t think there is a big difference in ride quality.

My 16 Sport came new with the 20's and all-seasons then I bought the 21's afterwards. I certainly notice the ride was softer on the 20's but then again I also put summer performance tires on my 21's. And there is definitely more than one all-season option in 21" but in general they are always a bit more expensive than their 20" counterpart. You could probably get a decent deal on a used set of 20" wheels if you are willing to go that way. If you don't mind softening up the ride some, you will definitely save money buying 20" tires over the long run, and you can get almost any tire in 245/55-20

Edited by roots57
  • Like 1

Bridgestone and Continental both make an all-season in 265/45-21

Still more expensive than the 20" versions of course

Sorry but they don’t. Continental has 4 - they’re all summer tires. Bridgestone has no tires in that size.

http://www.continentaltire.com/tire-search?mode=tire&sw=265&ar=40&rd=21

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/catalog?trimPath=/content/data/bridgestone/consumer/vehicles/2016/lincoln/mkx/reserve-alt-size-1&tpms=true

I've always bought summer tires, but when I was looking for different all-season options in 21-inch, I somehow messed up aspect ratio from 40 to 45 by accident.

Do you think a 45 would fit on Edge Sport? it's about an inch taller, same width. I would like a little more sidewall.

265/45-21 shouldn't have any clearance issues, especially if you haven't lowered it. Your odometer will be off a bit, but in a good way. You will effectively be travelling 3.4% further than what your odometer is reading. And there are a lot more all-season options in that size. The size difference is almost negligible, even the stock 245/50-20 tires are 29.8" in diameter, that is almost 1/2" larger than the 21" tire. If you really want a different all-season tire, this may be your best bet, especially if you don't mind the slightly taller sidewall.

Do you think a 45 would fit on Edge Sport? it's about an inch taller, same width. I would like a little more sidewall.

Running 275/45-21 Verdes on mine for that exact reason. The 40 series on the 21"s looked slightly out of proportion to my eye. Had to use a spacer or they would just barely rub on the bottom of the strut mount. 265/45's *should* fit, but might be close.

Using a 5mm spacer currently, 3mm probably would work. Stock springs right now, but have the HR's in the box ready to go on. Wheel wells should be filled nicely :)

Spedo is still very close. Vehicle vs. GPS @ 60mph is 62. Ride feels close to the same, after the HRs should be a little more rigid than stock.

Edited by redlancer

They talked about larger tires over in the 150 forum, threw off OEM navigation. Nav units telling them to turn AFTER he passed his turn. It then recalculated the route.

One fella recommended disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes, then take it out for a drive. Said his friend's odometer was off (reading slow) and the truck relearned the new tires.

RedLancer:

When you stepped up to 45 sidewall did you note if the ride (comfort not handling) was improved? or not really noticeable?

Thanks

Ed

Running 275/45-21 Verdes on mine for that exact reason. The 40 series on the 21"s looked slightly out of proportion to my eye. Had to use a spacer or they would just barely rub on the bottom of the strut mount. 265/45's *should* fit, but might be close.

Using a 5mm spacer currently, 3mm probably would work. Stock springs right now, but have the HR's in the box ready to go on. Wheel wells should be filled nicely :)

Spedo is still very close. Vehicle vs. GPS @ 60mph is 62. Ride feels close to the same, after the HRs should be a little more rigid than stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks enigma, thought about that, but the Edge's 20" & 21" wheels are completely different designs.

Tire wise, since they have different models, they have the same weight (34 lbs). The 21" tire in the Edge's size should be heavier, but the Perelli Scorpion Verde All Season 21" actually ways the same as the Hankook Ventus S1 Nobble2 20". The Pirrelli in 20" weighs 32 lbs.

• Like 1

I assumed the same brand/style wheel, the larger will weigh more of course. And, It's not possible to judge one design or brand with another properly.

What I posted was a comparison of tire weights using the 245/50/20 & 265/40/21 sizes; both were the Perelli Scorpion Verde All Season. (Compares apples-to-apples based on size alone).

• Like 1