Vibration

FordTough

Hi all,

Update for everyone. The dealer returned the car on Friday after saying that they had repaired it. They claimed to have fixed it by adjusting the microphone above the cargo area; it supposedly was not locked in place and after "feeling around" it clicked into place and the problem didn't happen again. We drove it around for a few minutes that day and the problem came back; we talked to the dealership owner at that point and he said that they are no longer going to work on our car. He said they could not spend their hours "chasing a noise" and that he was "sorry they couldn't fix the vehicle to our satisfaction but [they] were losing money on the rental and on working on the car," which I found as an unacceptable answer since the vehicle is still under warranty and we bought it from them. We are in a town with a population north of 100k people and a daytime population of over twice that, and he said to try a "big city dealer. Since [they] are a small town dealer they might not be able to fix it, but maybe another dealer can." I found this unacceptable as, after over 2 months of them having the car, they managed to do nothing. My next step is to contact my Ford customer care rep as the local dealer is now refusing to work with me on this issue. I will keep you updated on how this goes.

• Like 1

This 100% seems like a software problem that Ford Engineers have to correct!!!   In the meantime, I unplugged my rear microphone (1 of 3).  This is located just above the cargo area in the back.  The problem seems to be gone!!!  Although, I'm sure the ANC is not operable anymore but honestly, I can't tell the difference!!  And, my voice SYC still works from the front microphone above my driver's visor.  Please, anyone else who wants to try this, get back to me and let me know if it corrected your problem as well!!  

Hey all, my Edge is at a different dealer to see if they can see the problem since the other dealer said they were done trying to fix it. The issue is still ongoing but if the car does not idle at 600 RPM, the vibration won't happen so I told them to take their time. As soon as they hear the problem, I have the Ford Regional Manager ready to step in and help out. 

On 9/14/2019 at 2:42 PM, Gearjammer225 said:

This 100% seems like a software problem that Ford Engineers have to correct!!!   In the meantime, I unplugged my rear microphone (1 of 3).  This is located just above the cargo area in the back.  The problem seems to be gone!!!  Although, I'm sure the ANC is not operable anymore but honestly, I can't tell the difference!!  And, my voice SYC still works from the front microphone above my driver's visor.  Please, anyone else who wants to try this, get back to me and let me know if it corrected your problem as well!!  

Gearjammer225 thanks for the post. I agree with you, it seems like the problem can be solved with a software patch, but if it doesn't happen in every single car with this technology and design, then something is different in our cars that is causing the control system to freak out. It seems like the feedback loop is overcorrecting for the noise, which causes the sub in the back seat to create the excessive frequencies, which is what you hear and makes the back doors vibrate. Anyway, the reason why the problem is gone if you disconnect the microphone is because disconnecting any microphone turns the ANC system off, so it doesn't work at all. So yes, this does fix the problem, but it effectively disables a feature in your car, so I don't see it as a proper fix.

Yes, you are absolutely right.  It does disable a feature of the car.   I just can't bear the noise any longer so I'm going to see when Ford comes out with a fix.  In the meantime, I'm not missing the ANC!!  lol   I've actually forwarded this information to my local ford dealer, McGovern Ford.  The service manager is going to see what he can find out from Ford and if there is a fix in the works.   Please post anything if anyone hears of this potential fix!!

Edited by Gearjammer225

On 9/14/2019 at 12:42 PM, Gearjammer225 said:

Hey Gearjammer225, yep, if you check out one of my previous posts, the Ford Engineer disconnected my rear mic’s while he searches for a solution.  Haven’t had the vibration since it deactivated the system. 

I was supposed to hear from my Ford Complaint Rep on the fix status Sep 3rd, but haven’t yet.  I’ve called her once and emailed twice, but no reply or permanent solution yet.    

• Like 1

All, I may have found a solution for our problem. Tell your dealer to run an update on the DSP (digital signal processor) located in the rear of the car. I got the other dealership to replicate the problem and they were also perplexed. The tech checked the DSP and said it had an update, so she flashed it and updated it and we have not been able to replicate the problem since. Granted, I just picked up the car this morning, but the previous times, the problem was back in a short amount of time so I have high hopes this time. Hopefully I am not let down again and I can help you guys out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DRSE said:

All, I may have found a solution for our problem. Tell your dealer to run an update on the DSP (digital signal processor) located in the rear of the car. I got the other dealership to replicate the problem and they were also perplexed. The tech checked the DSP and said it had an update, so she flashed it and updated it and we have not been able to replicate the problem since. Granted, I just picked up the car this morning, but the previous times, the problem was back in a short amount of time so I have high hopes this time. Hopefully I am not let down again and I can help you guys out.

I'll be anxious to see if you're issue stays away...please update.  In the meantime, I forwarded these blogs to my Service Manager at my Ford Dealer in Lowell, MA.   He conveniently had the local ford engineer/rep in today who he shared this information with.  He stated that the engineer seemed to know of the problem but wasn't getting into it too much...basically said, he will get back to him.   It sounds like Ford is starting to become aware of this problem as is slowly is manifesting itself.   I'm sure we'll have a solution soon - maybe it is the DSP update like DRSE stated!!

Update:  I sent Ford a link to this post regarding the software update and this is their reply.  

I spoke with Ron (dealership service rep) and he let me know that he is going to reach out to the FSE (Ford Service Engineer) personally to see if the repair recommend below was something that they have tried yet. Ron also advised that the FSE is still waiting to hear back from his team with recommendations.

Thank you,

Ford Motor Company ® 
Tori Rabea | Customer Service Manager | FCSD
866-631-3788 x 77801 | eFax: 8663190048
trabea@ford.com | www.ford.com

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:39 PM, 2018EdgeSprt said:

Update:  I sent Ford a link to this post regarding the software update and this is their reply.  

I spoke with Ron (dealership service rep) and he let me know that he is going to reach out to the FSE (Ford Service Engineer) personally to see if the repair recommend below was something that they have tried yet. Ron also advised that the FSE is still waiting to hear back from his team with recommendations.

Thank you,

Ford Motor Company ® 
Tori Rabea | Customer Service Manager | FCSD
866-631-3788 x 77801 | eFax: 8663190048
trabea@ford.com | www.ford.com

22 hours ago, 2018EdgeSprt said:

Update:   The dealership called this week and they said the Field Service Engineer wants to try the DSP software update listed in this post on my Edge. Scheduled for service Oct 1, 2019.  I’ll let everyone know how it turns out. 

Excellent!  And if you can ask them if that info will be disseminated throughout all of the dealerships, that would be helpful.  I'll let my own know.

Thanks!

Update:   Well I dropped of my 2018 Edge Sport yesterday for the DSP software update. My service rep said they (Ford) figured out the problem. They were pumping the noise cancelling sound through the wrong speakers in the vehicle.  He said it was coming through the speakers behind the seat (not sure which seat) and with the rear seats up and the cargo area enclosed it was like holding two microphones against each other and causing feedback.  So the software now pumps the noise cancelling through different speakers. 

No vibration at idle on the way home today. I’ll give one final update next week to make sure everyone knows it is indeed fixed.  

If you have this problem, point your dealer to this forum post/string and tell them to update your DSP software.  

Thanks to DRSE for finding the solution and posting it here!

Edited by 2018EdgeSprt
  • Like 4

On 10/2/2019 at 7:32 PM, 2018EdgeSprt said:

Update:   Well I dropped of my 2018 Edge Sport yesterday for the DSP software update. My service rep said they (Ford) figured out the problem. They were pumping the noise cancelling sound through the wrong speakers in the vehicle.  He said it was coming through the speakers behind the seat (not sure which seat) and with the rear seats up and the cargo area enclosed it was like holding two microphones against each other and causing feedback.  So the software now pumps the noise cancelling through different speakers. 

No vibration at idle on the way home today. I’ll give one final update next week to make sure everyone knows it is indeed fixed.  

If you have this problem, point your dealer to this forum post/string and tell them to update your DSP software.  

Thank you.  I look forward to seeing if this corrected the problem.  Could you give me the name and number of the dealership that fixed this issue?  I'm sure my service manager would like to call and get some information directly as well.

On 10/2/2019 at 6:32 PM, 2018EdgeSprt said:

Glad I could help! It's sad to see how some dealerships (looking at you, Tyler Ford) have such poor customer service, technicians, and ownership and Ford just lets that slide even when aware of how dissatisfied I was with where I purchased the car when they refused to service me anymore even though I was still under bumper to bumper warranty. Gives the Ford name a bad reputation. Shout-out to the Ford dealership in Athens, TX for figuring it out in 3 days. They have a heck of a technician.

Final Update:  Well, I hope this is the final update I post about this topic.  So, it's been a week since I picked up my Edge from the dealer and there has not been a single occurrence of the noise/vibration.  The DSP software update seems to have permanently fixed the problem.  It seems to be a little noisier in the cabin now, but that could just be my imagination.   My dealership is Don Hinds Ford in Fishers, Indiana.   Ph:(317) 849-9000   My service rep is Ron Bechman.  They're really great people, and I don't blame them for lack of effort in trying to find a solution.  It's just frustrating that it took Ford exactly one year to this month to find and fix the problem.  At times it certainly felt like I was being ignored.   

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! We have a 2018 Edge Sport as well and this problem was there and I guess we didn't pay much attention at first. It started to bug us more so I tried to "look into it". I was very excited to find this thread! And I want to thank everyone in here for sharing and more importantly helping.

This is what I documented before coming across this thread. The growing deep humming sound every 20 seconds or so at idle was happening when in gear and around 600rpms. But I could also consistently reproduce this between 40 and 45mph and keeping the car at 1,400rpms, except that I could make that sound last. Whenever I was at idle and wanted to hear better by going to the back of the car, I would open the door and it would stop but I never thought this was a clue as well.

Regarding ANC, my mind is blown. I had no idea it was there. I come from a noisy 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, so the Edge has been soothing the second I test drove it. And I have been in IT for over 20 years so I usually get excited about stuff like that. For you guys to really being that persistent and really wanting to know what the problem was, I admire you! This is some serious troubleshooting and I think I appreciated and enjoyed that more than the solution itself. ?

With that said, I posted a tweet with @Ford and the link to that thread and Ford asked me to direct message them with VIN and mileage so I am going to do that soon. 
https://twitter.com/lmorel12/status/1191579541698793472?s=20

When I read "DSP that needs to be updated", I was like "Nooooooooooooooo way...................". Because it means it was that easy to fix. If I put on my IT hat, I will say this, with that I witnessed over 20 years of hardware and software in a business environment: either Ford went cheap or they really didn't care about customer service in this situation. Why "went cheap"? I almost want to put money on the fact that Ford might have hire someone who wrote firmware for that piece of hardware handling the DSP. Which usually means it is already outdated, with not much exposure to any market, not many sales, not making much money. Pretty obscure provider that was excited to sell their solution to Ford at a bulk price. I came across so many of those situations over the years when you buy something with a brand name but a small piece of of that something is now acting up. You are then given the silence treatment because that brand doesn't even know what you are talking about, what the problem is and who to talk to in order to fix it. They drag their feet hoping you will go away. I have had multiple devices that had many limitations as time went by and a bunch of IT people like me in forums asking if there is a new firmware update, if that feature would be released because it would open up new cool things, if there is a hacked firmware that someone released to address some issues the manufacturer wouldn't handle. Things like that. And this thread just reminds me all of that. In my world, whenever we come across this, we typically and harshly say this to the manufacturer "Guys, next time you think about being cool and playing with the big boys, don't go cheap and think about backing that stuff up with reliability and good customer service!". Why do you think Tyrant Steve Jobs managed to run Apple for years as a control freak over everything he was supervising and almost always delivered a super polished product?

What baffles me the most though is this: Ford makes cars. They know their stuff, right? You know, someone takes their car to them with a valve problem or an engine issue, they are (or should be) on it. Yet, they go add some hardware that they definitely do not master nor manufacture or even support directly inside that expensive car. And that becomes a liability because of too many unknowns. Add that to the fact that the employees at dealership do not even know it's there, how it works or what's inside, and you get this thread. I have been an android user since 2010 and I miserably hung in there since then. I have seen so many laughable issues and I enjoyed tweaking my phone hoping next year, next model would be better. Today with a Samsung S10, I am happy. But I certainly didn't think a $50K Ford was going to be that, a device with some flaky parts inside that someone shrugged their shoulders at whenever it started to act up. Wait.... am I a dummy for buying it??!  ?

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi This Edge,

I'm glad this is gaining momentum.   I started to self-diagnose this problem 14 months ago!!  I disconnected my rear mic about 2 months ago and the problem has NEVER come back!  That being said, I am waiting to hear that ford has a definitive fix for this that is easy to look-up.  We know what the problem is, but do they know in every dealership now?   

Please let me know if you find any more information.  Until then, I'm leaving my microphone disconnected!!

On 11/14/2019 at 7:47 PM, Gearjammer225 said:

Hi This Edge,

I'm glad this is gaining momentum.   I started to self-diagnose this problem 14 months ago!!  I disconnected my rear mic about 2 months ago and the problem has NEVER come back!  That being said, I am waiting to hear that ford has a definitive fix for this that is easy to look-up.  We know what the problem is, but do they know in every dealership now?   

Please let me know if you find any more information.  Until then, I'm leaving my microphone disconnected!!

Hey Gearjammer225, 

Yes the solution has been found by Ford.  Look through this string and you'll find it posted.  I haven't had the vibration/sound since they updated the DSP software in Oct 2019.  

On 10/10/2019 at 6:28 AM, 2018EdgeSprt said:

Final Update:  Well, I hope this is the final update I post about this topic.  So, it's been a week since I picked up my Edge from the dealer and there has not been a single occurrence of the noise/vibration.  The DSP software update seems to have permanently fixed the problem.  It seems to be a little noisier in the cabin now, but that could just be my imagination.   My dealership is Don Hinds Ford in Fishers, Indiana.   Ph:(317) 849-9000   My service rep is Ron Bechman.  They're really great people, and I don't blame them for lack of effort in trying to find a solution.  It's just frustrating that it took Ford exactly one year to this month to find and fix the problem.  At times it certainly felt like I was being ignored.   

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...