2017 2.0 ecoboost vs V6 reliability

victoryrider

Thinking about buying a new Edge for the wife and the ecoboost seems like a great engine from all the info Ive seen but was wondering about long term reliability . The v 6 has a little worse mpg but seems like a 4cyl would be considerably over worked to get that much out of it and all the extra heat too.

I've not heard a lot of bad things about the 2.0 engine.

The 3.5L is a known quantity. It'll run a quarter million miles as long as a leaking water pump doesn't take out the bottom end.

If I had to bet which would need less repairs- I'd pick the 3.5L. It's less stressed and has less parts/systems to go wrong. If you plan to keep it for 5 years and sell it, it doesn't matter. If you plan to keep it long term and drive the wheels off it, I'd get the 3.5L personally.

• Like 2

I dont buy the more stress argument on the 2.0LEB because it was designed from day one for turbocharging including the block and all the components.

You never hear those comments about turbodiesels which are designed the same way.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

A boosted engine sees higher peak cylinder pressures than a N/A engine, by far. That's bad on pistons, rings, blocks, and bearings- whether it's "designed for it" or not. A non-turbo diesel engine will always be way more reliable than a turbo diesel. Same goes for gas engines. However, since very few Ford engine problems are short block related these days, I'll give you that.

• Like 1