Vehicle won't start (2008 Ford Edge)

Mwalsh327

Hey guys, I have a 2008 Ford Edge SE that won't start anymore. Before the vehicle stopped starting I could hear the starter being very labored starting (took a few extra milliseconds for the vehicle to kick over). Eventually a few days later it stopped starting completely, when I put the key in the ignition and try to start it, nothing, no clicking, everything else worked, lights, radio, etc., easy fix it's the starter I thought. I took it to my mechanic and he concurred and he put in a new starter and for a day and a half it was great, she had such a smooth start up. Then BAM, stopped working again, same exact problem, put the key in to start and nothing. It's back at the shop now, he believes it is a computer issue. Just wondering if anyone else might have had this issue, or have any other thoughts on what the problem could possibly be? As always, appreciate the help and feedback.

Mike

You don't mention having it towed so I assume it started with a boost and you were able to drive it to the shop. That would make the battery the obvious first thought. Even if it's relatively new, having it load tested would be a good idea because sometimes even new batteries fail. They can even show a full charge on a meter yet not be able to crank the engine.

Battery is relatively new, it was changed about 2 years ago if that. My brother-in-law gave it a boost before I took it to the shop, once there when I turned off the vehicle it didn't start again. I'll call the shop and recommend having the battery load tested.

Ask a place like AutoZone to do a load test on the battery - if the battery passes have them check the charging system, and do the same if the battery is replaced.

My battery lasted 3 years and died (Michigan). It ran fine then just quit. A jump it and got it started and then died again (i.e. I stopped the car and tried to start and it was dead). I'm betting it is your battery.

I'll take "Dead Battery" for $500 Alex...

Edited by evh

I called the shop to ask that they run a load test on it and to ensure that it checks the CCA against what is listed on the battery. When I called a few days ago he mentioned it could be a computer issue with the vehicle, does that sound plausible to anyone? When I get a reply back from the shop I will let you guys know what happen.

That’s the generic term for “I don’t know what it is”. It could be a PATS issue not reading the key but that would have nothing to do with slow starting. Could be 2 issues though - low battery and PATS. Should be pretty easy to diagnose though if he knows what he’s doing. If not take it to a Ford dealer.

• Like 1

That’s the generic term for “I don’t know what it is”. It could be a PATS issue not reading the key but that would have nothing to do with slow starting. Could be 2 issues though - low battery and PATS. Should be pretty easy to diagnose though if he knows what he’s doing. If not take it to a Ford dealer.

Yea, I don't think it's the key like you said, cause he called a few days ago about bringing up my spare key, which I did, cause he believed the key could be corrupt in some way I assume. The spare key didn't work as well. I appreciate the feedback and when I get the issue resolved I'll be sure to post.

Edited by Mwalsh327

Sometimes the PATS receiver near the ignition fails to recognize any keys so that would affect both keys, but I think the blinking red light on the dash would tell you if that was the case or not - can't remember exactly. I'm still betting battery.

Another question for you if you don't mind. When the starter was replaced the car started about 1/2 dozen times (over a 2 day period), is it fair to assume that the battery had enough juice in her to kick the starter over those 6 times?