Downpipes (2016 Edge Sport)

snmjim

6 hours ago, James.s.bishop said:

Do you have any info on your catback setup?

I have a MRT set up and it is axle back.. A full cat back system on the Sport would connect directly to the downpipes. 

Here is the thread on the MRT system.   https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22741-mrt-axle-back-exhuast-for-g2-edge-sport-awd/

I would be all over these downpipes if not for strict California smog laws. We have different cats/ downpipes then the rest of the world. Calif cat downpipes cost more and I am sure are more restrictive in the name of clean air.  

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Close to the edge said:

I'm curious.  How hard are these going to be to install?  

Of course for this level of work you should have the manual and general experience at an average Techs ability.

The back pipe is the easiest, it just requires removal of the exhause Sys, drive shaft and tunnel cross member...?

The front is another beast. This one will require removal of the entire front clip, headlights & cooling table...:(

Recommendations:

Drain anti-freeze, Trans fluids & pump down the a/c.

You should replace exhaust flange gasket and the 2 exhaust flange nuts.

It would be a good idea to replace the exhaust flange studs or at least have them on hand..

Liberally use anti-seeze.

Replace front & rear drive shaft bolts & torque to Spec!

NOTE: YOU MUST BE TUNED!!!

This is over simplification however, it covers the major points...:hat_tip:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2

Thanks for working this effort snmjim! Truly great to see a new product come to market for this platform.

Has anyone looked into starting a group buy from Zury? I'm curious if a group buy could be setup to accommodate those who want catted or catless DPs.

Edited by connoisseurr
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, connoisseurr said:

Thanks for working this effort snmjim! Truly great to see a new product come to market for this platform.

Has anyone looked into starting a group buy from Zury? I'm curious if a group buy could be setup to accommodate those who want catted or catless DPs.

Hey there connoisseur,

You are most welcome, our careers involve research & development therefore it comes as just another project however, doing this for the FEF community is enjoyable and most rewarding when someone like yourself expresses their appreciation...:woot:

I am totally unaware of any effort to coordinate a group buy.

However, if you reference my topic string on the IC grill & rear stabilizer bar you can get an idea of how I made that happen.

IC Grill: 

Rear Stabilizer bar: 

If your intention is to attempt to coordinate a group buy and your not part of the FB Ford Edge page I'd recommend including them in your effort as well via 037 from this forums to maximize interest.

Update:

Our pipes are completed however we're currently on hold by the ceramic coating person.

Any day now we should have coated pipes in hand at which point we'll complete the reassembly in 1-2 days.

Then we retune and begin track time/speed test then Dyno Specs for posting...:hat_tip:    

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, snmjim said:

Hey there connoisseur,

You are most welcome, our careers involve research & development therefore it comes as just another project however, doing this for the FEF community is enjoyable and most rewarding when someone like yourself expresses their appreciation...:woot:

I am totally unaware of any effort to coordinate a group buy.

However, if you reference my topic string on the IC grill & rear stabilizer bar you can get an idea of how I made that happen.

IC Grill: 

Rear Stabilizer bar: 

If your intention is to attempt to coordinate a group buy and your not part of the FB Ford Edge page I'd recommend including them in your effort as well via 037 from this forums to maximize interest.

Update:

Our pipes are completed however we're currently on hold by the ceramic coating person.

Any day now we should have coated pipes in hand at which point we'll complete the reassembly in 1-2 days.

Then we retune and begin track time/speed test then Dyno Specs for posting...:hat_tip:    

This is valuable information, thank you. 

I’m more than happy to help facilitate a group buy in this project however I’ll need someone with a Facebook account to help contact the Ford Edge FB group as I do not have a Facebook account. 

Seeing as the downpipes were released, I’m sure a few folks would like to jump in on this. If you are interested in a set of these, regardless of catted/catless, let me know. I’ll open a dialog with Zury once GB interest follows. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, connoisseurr said:

This is valuable information, thank you. 

I’m more than happy to help facilitate a group buy in this project however I’ll need someone with a Facebook account to help contact the Ford Edge FB group as I do not have a Facebook account. 

Seeing as the downpipes were released, I’m sure a few folks would like to jump in on this. If you are interested in a set of these, regardless of catted/catless, let me know. I’ll open a dialog with Zury once GB interest follows. 

037 is your Facebook (FB) point of contact from the Ford Edge Forums (FEF) you may want to try sending him a PM. He's usually fairly responsive, if not let me know and I can reach him personally.

BTW,

U R most welcome. ..???

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

whats the major break through?

Cmon Nick,

Had you read the OP as directed... you'd have your answer.

So I guess it's a safe assumption that your not a Fan of my write-ups, well here's a special cliff note version just for you...lol

Getting the first set of Gen 2 catless downpipes researched, developed and finally fabricating the first prototype set with the ability to mass reproduce on demand.

Only thing remaining is to provide track slips & Dyno Spec sheets and finally prototyping a set with Hi-Flow Cats...:thumbsup:

And to think back when it all began here...Ref Pic

20190329_192344.jpg

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, snmjim said:

Cmon Nick,

Had you read the OP as directed... you'd have your answer.

So I guess it's a safe assumption that your not a Fan of my write-ups, well here's a special cliff note version just for you...lol

Getting the first set of Gen 2 catless downpipes researched, developed and finally fabricating the first prototype set with the ability to mass reproduce on demand.

And to think back when it all began here...Ref Pic

I've read the OP, but when you said major breakthrough I was sorta confused as if, just the fact they were done and installed was the major breakthrough or if I was missing something.

first mass produced, yeah. but 3in downpipes have been available for the platform since dec of 2017. 

you have done amazing things for the edge man, gone places nobody else is going to go. applaud you for that. Though, I wasn't even the first one with the BOV and I got mine in May of 2016. Honestly, my edge is at a point of pretty much being done and accepting where it's at so I can focus on my next car. 

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

I've read the OP, but when you said major breakthrough I was sorta confused as if, just the fact they were done and installed was the major breakthrough or if I was missing something.

first mass produced, yeah. but 3in downpipes have been available for the platform since dec of 2017. 

The claim that "3" DPs have been available since Dec 2017" for the Gen 2 Ford Edge Sport 2.7 TT would definitely warrant validatedation considering it was unanimous among several of the top fabricators in the business that it was short of impossible to make the "U" turn required off the front Turbo using a 3" pipe.

We initially tried 3" pipe because that's what the Tuners & math substantiated as optimal but it wouldn't work.

Besides why go 2.5 if 3 would work???

We'll agree that there are and have been for a while now other Ford platforms using the 2.7 TT Eco boost motor of which DPs have been developed for those platforms.

Therefore, I'm inclined to say "substantiate your claim".

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, snmjim said:

The claim that "3" DPs have been available since Dec 2017" for the Gen 2 Ford Edge Sport 2.7 TT would definitely warrant validatedation considering it was unanimous among several of the top fabricators in the business that it was short of impossible to make the "U" turn required off the front Turbo using a 3" pipe.

We initially tried 3" pipe because that's what the Tuners & math substantiated as optimal but it wouldn't work.

Besides why go 2.5 if 3 would work???

We'll agree that there are and have been for a while now other Ford platforms using the 2.7 TT Eco boost motor of which DPs have been developed for those platforms.

Therefore, I'm inclined to say "substantiate your claim".

I guess your referring to this bend

BHcIzay.jpg?1

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

I guess your referring to this bend

BHcIzay.jpg?1

If that's a Gen 2 Edge Sport then I stand corrected and would like to know who's manufacturing those because we tried everything possible to make a 3" pipe work with no success.

BTW,

There's nothing in that Pic validating it's platform, that can be any number of applications.

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Was that National Speed in Virginia where that pic was taken? 

Can't be because I was the first & only one they attempted the 3" pipe with and couldn't get that far.

To my knowledge they haven't attempted another since.

11 hours ago, snmjim said:

Can't be because I was the first & only one they attempted the 3" pipe with and couldn't get that far.

To my knowledge they haven't attempted another since.

Nick must have been a ball busting mood.  That pix he posted was for the Fusion Sport.. 
https://www.fusionsportforums.com/forum/225-fusion-v6-sport-performance/14130-3-stainless-steel-cat-less-downpipes.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Donto said:

Nick must have been a ball busting mood.  That pix he posted was for the Fusion Sport.. 
https://www.fusionsportforums.com/forum/225-fusion-v6-sport-performance/14130-3-stainless-steel-cat-less-downpipes.html

notice I never said Edge, I said platform. Just stating, a good fabricator and some pie cuts goes a very long way. Just cause someone in your area couldn't do it, doesn't mean it can't and hasn't been done. Only reason they haven't been bolted up to an Edge is due to location and the fact that only 1% of the Edge population mods. Though, I wouldn't expect anyone who claims to have ID'd a BOV almost 2 years after multiple people are using it to accept anything outside of what they are doing. Doesn't bother me, really could careless. Even with downpipes, tuned conti will still gap it like it did last time on the highway.

Edited by Nick Halstead

12 hours ago, Donto said:

Totally get it!

Some people just can't help themselves nor can they bow out gracefully when their wrong. But all that matters is they know the truth as do others, it's just a matter of them coming around to reality. Everyone matures at different rates, some early & some way late.

I'm not one for bantering & boasting I simply wait to let the facts speak for themselves. In this case the comment made about a suppose to be private & informal test run on a public Hwy was more of a base line test between to friends to identify progress & changes needed. So we'll soon see the raw indisputable facts...if the PTU holds up...lol

• Like 2