Forscan to enable tow lights

Anyone use forscan to enable the oem 4-pin trail lights? Or do you have forscan and can see if the tow module shows enable/disable like it does on the f150?  I have 2016 edge sport which does not have the oem tow package but I added a hitch and an oem 4-pin.  I did find the wiring harness actually has a spot to plug in the 4-pin wire and the tow fuse exists.  I'm guessing the toe module/feature is turned off. Does the tow module show in forscan?

I looked into this, but found out that the trailer light module is not there. According to the service manual, the trailer light module is located in the passenger rear quarter panel, above the cargo area light. I looked, all the wiring is there, but not the module. I didn't look into getting one, I had already wired in my own trailer light wiring to the factory plug location so wasn't too concerned about it.

But since the rest of it is there, if you plug in the module I don't see why it wouldn't work without any extra programming.

Edited by tmarsh

• 5 months later...
On 12/6/2018 at 7:54 AM, mr_jason said:

I did find the wiring harness actually has a spot to plug in the 4-pin wire and the tow fuse exists.

Mr Jason,

Can you tell us where you found the 4-pin plug wiring for the harness?  I'm getting ready for a hitch install and it'd be helpful to know where the harnesses and modules are located in advance.

Thanks!

So I'm in the process of obtaining all the necessary parts to add the factory hitch to my '18 Sport. So far I have the hitch (used), the split liftgate sensors and the 4-way harness that plugs into the empty spot behind the passenger side tire. There is an unused plug behind the panel inside the luggage compartment which I believe is used for the trailer tow module. However, it requires a jumper harness to go from the single plug of the vehicle, to the three plugs on the module. It's part number F2GZ-13A576-B, which is on national backorder.

As far as needing to enable the trailer tow module, it's not required. The F150's get the trailer brake module enabled, since the Edge does not have trailer brake capability it only has the lighting module.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

27 Sport Wrote: " 4-way harness that plugs into the empty spot behind the passenger side tire. "

Found the part number for the harness. 

Wire Harness - Ford (F2GZ-13A576-A)

Google it and hit several sources for best pricing.  Some vendors 'look' like a great price until you get to checkout and they hit you with handling/shipping costs. 

Here's a pic of the Edge harness tucked up behind the passenger side rear wheel

tow_harness_plug.jpg.1d875dcb9998bb349d815f19a7989b01.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Gadgetjq
deleted old text, added part number & pic
  • Like 1

Had the same pricing issue, looked good until the shipping cost.  Ended up just ordering it from a local dealer.  Did you install it yet?  I'm still waiting for the harness to the tow module

4 pin wire = F2GZ-13A576-A

wiring to tow module which is on backorder = F2GZ-13A576-B

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 2:27 PM, mr_jason said:

Had the same pricing issue, looked good until the shipping cost.  Ended up just ordering it from a local dealer.  Did you install it yet?  I'm still waiting for the harness to the tow module

4 pin wire = F2GZ-13A576-A

wiring to tow module which is on backorder = F2GZ-13A576-B

Somehow my local dealer had the jumper harness in stock! I plugged everything in but still no trailer power. I used a test-light and there is no 12v power going into the trailer tow module (brown/red stripe wire). I tried seeing if it needed to be enabled with Forscan but it did not detect that module. My next step is to apply power to the 12v wire of the tow module from the battery to see if it works. Might also need to enable it with Forscan as I have seen screenshots from other vehicles that show a trailer tow module, which is different from the factory trailer brake module in some vehicles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 27Sport said:

Somehow my local dealer had the jumper harness in stock! I plugged everything in but still no trailer power. I used a test-light and there is no 12v power going into the trailer tow module (brown/red stripe wire). I tried seeing if it needed to be enabled with Forscan but it did not detect that module. My next step is to apply power to the 12v wire of the tow module from the battery to see if it works. Might also need to enable it with Forscan as I have seen screenshots from other vehicles that show a trailer tow module, which is different from the factory trailer brake module in some vehicles.

did you check the fuse box and confirmed you have the "Trailer lighting Module Fuse" Fuse # 78 - 40A M Case Fuse. (Owners Manual - P 272)

7 hours ago, ONEDGE16 said:

did you check the fuse box and confirmed you have the "Trailer lighting Module Fuse" Fuse # 78 - 40A M Case Fuse. (Owners Manual - P 272)

Yes, fuse 78 is there and 12v power is going to it. Since I can't get to the back side of that fuse box, I wonder if there is even a wire connected to it.

• Like 1

Success!!  I was finally able to get around to looking into why I was not getting power to the trailer plug at the hitch. I initially discovered that there was no 12v power at the factory trailer module. Turns out that even though fuse 78 shows power, it is not connected somewhere between the under-hood fuse box and the connector plug behind the cargo trim panel, even though the power wire is present in the back. I ran a length of wire directly from the battery to the brown/red wire at the trailer module to see if it was an easy fix. Turns out that is the issue. Trailer plug at the hitch now has power. Also, the factory plug can be accessed by removing the little storage compartment on the rear trim panel (pull up on the outside edge first). Don't have to remove the entire panel. I used some double sided tape to mount the trailer module to the sheetmetal next to the plug.

I suggest cutting the brown/red wire about 3" away from the module plug to attach your power wire, then run it directly to the battery. Also, use 12awg wire and an inline 30amp fuse at the battery as that is what the factory harness uses.

Summary of what is needed to get as close to factory as possible when installing trailer wiring. This also eliminates the need to get an aftermarket light module. The Ford Accessories version has you tapping into the turn signal wires and having to run the wiring through the floor. (Complete at your own risk)

F2GZ-13A576-A  Harness from 4-pin to plug behind right rear tire

F2GZ-13A576-B  Jumper harness from factory plug behind right rear cargo trim panel to trailer light module

F2GT-19H378-AB  Trailer module (I believe all Ford trailer modules are the same, the only difference is the mounting brackets which you will need to take off anyway). I'm using one from a 2017 Escape. As long as the base part number is 19H378 you should be good.

Run a 12awg wire with a 30amp inline fuse from the 12+ side of the battery to the brown/red wire of the trailer module harness

In theory, you could instead run the power wire to the fuse box under the driver's side dashboard and use an add-a-fuse. Fuses 29 and 30 are 30amp constant 12v and are not used for anything else in the vehicle (spares).

Edited by 27Sport
  • Like 2

While running the power wire I found the issue with the factory power wire (brown/red). There are two large connectors behind the carpet in the passengers footwell where the main body harness meets the under hood harness. The brown/red wire is on one side of the connector (body side), but not on the engine side. That means there is no wire from the under hood fuse box to the main connector.

Instead of running your own power wire to the trailer module, you could cut the brown/red wire at the connector and attach your own power wire directly to that. Would only need about 3-4ft of 12awg wire from the connector to the under dash fuse box. I used a micro 2 add-a-circuit with a 20amp fuse into spot 29 for my power wire.  

5 hours ago, 27Sport said:

While running the power wire I found the issue with the factory power wire (brown/red). There are two large connectors behind the carpet in the passengers footwell where the main body harness meets the under hood harness.

Great find, thanks for posting! 

Could you be a little more specific about where the connector is (just so I'm not ripping up an unnecessary amount of carpet). 
I'm still hunting/gathering parts but the wiring is something that can be done well ahead of the hitch install.

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

Great find, thanks for posting! 

Could you be a little more specific about where the connector is (just so I'm not ripping up an unnecessary amount of carpet). 
I'm still hunting/gathering parts but the wiring is something that can be done well ahead of the hitch install.

Thanks!

If you were sitting in the passenger seat, peel down the carpet to the right of where your right foot would be. Between the plastic kick panel and the firewall. There are two large white connectors. It's the one on the right (closest to pass door). Brown/red wire is on the bottom part of the connector, near the edge. It's much thicker wire than the rest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello all,

Reviving an old thread - Came across this while researching what will be required to install the factory trailer hitch and wiring.  I have a 2016 MKX not an edge but close enough (Not much info on the Lincoln Forums-not ones for the DIY I guess lol).  This has been the most informative thread by far, so I figured id contribute my findings thus far.  I'll start by saying I am still compiling parts and haven't completed the install but I've found the following for part numbers (Most on this thread

are correct):

- Ford hitch kit (The hitch and hardware)- FT4Z-19D520-AA (This should work for 2015-2018)

- Split Kick sensor--------------------------------------FA1Z-14F680-C

4-Pinn trailer harness------------------------------GA1Z-13A576-A

-Trailer light module sub harness--------------F2GZ-13A576-B (this connects the capped harness to the trailer light module-located drivers side cargo area< behind interior quarter panel or which ever side the subwoofer isn't)

- Trailer light module----------------------------------E1GZ-19H332-B (the number listed previously in this thread are engineering part numbers, these are the numbers listed on the module itself that one would think are part numbers (because that would make sense) but are not the actual part number that can be searched-dealer cross referenced to get actual part number)

On 7/19/2019 at 6:39 PM, 27Sport said:

F2GT-19H378-AB (Engineering part number)

- Lincoln Lower valance for tow package- FA1Z-17K835-B  (This part number will be different depending on vehicle options and model)

As far as the brown/red wire goes, as stated in this thread it is the power feed for the trailer light module.  It however does not leave Fuse 78 in the engine fuse box.  Like others, mine was populated with a fuse but after removing the fuse I found there was only one pin under it -meaning the fuse box is supplying power to the fuse but no wire leaving the fuse.  I confirmed this on the wiring harness side by removing the harness cover and locating where the wire should be but isn't.  Should also be said that there a few brown/red wires that leave this box.  The harnesses mentioned in this thread in the right passenger side foot well (the 2 big connectors) don't contain this wire (mine had power in and out at this connector) and as stated the wire is missing in the fuse box so cant be this wire.  Now there is a harness next to or right near the OBD2 port that does contain a brown/red wire of a larger gauge on one side (from the vehicle) but does not have a wire leaving through the firewall (to the fuse box).  I believe this is the wire we are after that runs back to the capped harness for the trailer light module (will confirm 100% when I get to the install).  If it is, it would be quite easy to remove this wire and feed it from the interior fuse panel that sits right above this connector (though not the easiest fuse box to access - at least on the MKX) utilizing an add a fuse on one of the spares as mentioned.  The lower valance many have said can be trimmed instead of replaced and has the cut template marked out, this I cant confirm on either model yet, only plan to remove the bumper once but will update once I complete (I hope its there) the install as well as any issues or tips and tricks.  I've attached Fords install sheet, though the videos are better - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXouOaDJqhE.  Hope this helps someone.

2015_CMY_Edge_Trailer_Hitch_FINAL.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just followed all instructions and all parts are installed and i am getting power to the Light module. Yet i am still not able to get the lights to function, i am guessing there is something in forscan i need to activate, but i am unable to get the tow lights working. 

those who have this working was there an option in forscan you need to modify or change in the body control module?

Thanks. 

Does the added trailer light module show up when connected with Forscan?  Haven't made it as far as you yet so I can't help a whole lot but one would think this should be plug and play as it only controls the lights.  Try looking in the BdyCM on the "Easy mode" and see if there any any new options now that the new module is added (just guessing ).  I'm sure I'll have the same issues when I get to this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I finally got all the wiring components together and installed. 4 pin trailer harness is working, though when scanned I do have a code stating initial configuration not complete but it does work never the less. For those interested the power wire for the module harness is the brown and red wire in the harness right behind the OBD port. The wire only goes from here to the module harness connector in the drivers rear quarter panel. I added the factory pig tail harness to the other side of the main harness behind the Obd port and picked power off the fuse panel right above the port using a micro fuse add a circuit. The part number for the pig tail harness is EU2Z-14474-AB. This will just push into the opposing connector. See photo. 

6C347318-AD0C-4113-994C-29EC63CF8801.jpeg

Edited by Dallas150
  • Like 1