Edge vs Grand Cherokee

Hi everyone. New here and have a question.

We have a 2013 Edge Sport. Wife's son works at a Dodge dealer and wants to sell us a Grand Cherokee. I'm not to hot in the idea of buying a Fiat. Reliability issues are a major concern. Anyone have any experience with this model? I think a comparable Edge would be the better route to go.

I can't really comment on the Grand Cherokee's reliability except the general Fiat Chrysler reliability in general, but the Grand Cherokee is more "Off-Road worthy" than any Edge. Since you have a Sport I don't think you are an off-road person, hence just look at it, test drive it (a long test drive, especially that you step son works there) & buy what you like more.

• Like 1

Yeah, this vehicle will never see the dirt.

The sport is nice, but not necessary and in retrospect I would not buy a car with those huge 22" rims again.

I've shown my wife the reliability index of Chrysler vs most other brands, but she doesn't seem to care. I'm afraid we're going to end up with a Fiat and I'm going to be pissed for several years.

I think the stats show that the Chrysler’s are less reliable.  I have a 2009 Edge and HAD a 2013 Grand Cherokee.  We owned the Jeep for 2 years until we had an accident.  We replaced the Jeep with a 2016 Edge.  Currently I don’t care for the 2016 Edge as much as I like my 2009. 

If I had to replace my 2009 Edge (which I drive), I always thought I would get another Edge.  Now I think I might actually get a Jeep.

When we owned the 2013 Jeep (purchased used with 60K miles) it had two repairs.  Both rear shocks were replaced because one was leaking oil (I was able to do that).  The second repair was something with the valves on one side of the engine ticking (a bit of a known problem).  It was a $900 repair but covered under their 100,000 warranty.  I’m sure if I had to pay the $900 my tone would be a little different.

If you are purchasing new you will have at least 3 years with no costs.

Finally, get what she wants.  If not you will likely continue to hear about it.

A wise man once said happy wife happy life!

Cheers!

Edited by evh
  • Like 1

The thing that I like about the Jeeps is the availability, at least in the past few years (who knows about the future), of the diesel engine in the Jeep  Grand Cherokee but their reliability would scare me off as well then again I would say my Edge hasn't been that reliable either so I honestly believe it is all a crapshoot anyway since every manufacturer will have positives and negatives when it comes to reliability. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2014 Edge Limited AWD.  My son has a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited.4x4.

Lets see, the Edge is bigger, rides less nicc and tows less.  It has a less robust 4x4 system.  The Edge has the lovely TPU as well as the internal water pump issues.

His Jeep has had nothing but fluid changes and tires in 80K miles.  Not even brakes.  His Pentstar gets 30 mpg highway and is faster than the Edge by quite a bit.

i know, I’ve driven both for a lot of miles, we “stored” his Jeep while he was deployed...

i bought my my wife the Edge because she liked its looks and ride.  After learning about the Edge mechanical issues, and having driven the Cherokee and seeing its gas mileage and power,, I’d take the Jeep.  Not hands down but it’s a better vehicle.

edit- let me say that my son has the Cherokee which is more “Escape” or Honda CRV sized.  The GC is an entirely different and older platform, it rides more firm than the Cherokee, sits up a bit higher and is about 2-3 inches wider and 3-4 inches longer.  So I was more comparing the Edge with the smaller Cherokee, however I did test drive the GC just this month.

i will keep the Edge despite more mechanical concerns and less power/mileage.  Mine is a “pavement queen” with 20’s so the off-road capability is not the issue. It does fine in snow.  Since mine is the bigger, older Edge I can’t comment on the newer design vs a GC.

Edited by 14AWD3.5