Pulls to left on acceleration?

edsasdelli

Car did not pull at all, I had 4 new tires (OEM Pirelli's) put on by Ford Dealer and had wheel alignment.  Car tracks fine when cruise or coasting, but upon acceleration, pulls to the left into the oncoming lane of traffic.  I took back to dealer, they aligned it again and told me there is nothing wrong, it's "right-on".   I know what torque steer is and this does not feel like torque steer (plus wouldn't torque steer pull me to the right?) and if it was torque steer, why didn't it do it before the tires were put on?  Any ideas. 

Ed 

Are the tires directional by any chance?  Could the tires be mis-installed?  I would get alignment verified by an independent shop, unless this is a known good Ford dealership for alignments.  I assume they road-balanced and everything.

On the gen 1.5, abnormal pulls like this, to the left or "mysterious", were caused either by a subframe misalignment or faulty lower control arms.  Worth checking.

you guys know way more than I do about this but I don't think it's alignment.  I had Ford Dealer align it twice, print out shows all in green and it doesn't pull when coasting or maintaining, only when accelerating?  Maybe I'll have them check the Lower Control Arm as suggested above, I don't know what else to check, tires are good, alignment good, lugs tight, tire pressure even?   

• 3 weeks later...

I haven’t driven mine in about a month. I do know there is a good amount of torque steer on hard or wot acceleration on mine. Directionals or not. Although more significant with directionals. 

I can’t recall left or right. Steep road crowns obviously create a right pull like you said. A parking lot would be a good place to define it. I’ll get out tomorrow and report my specifics. It doesn’t concern me. It feels like typical hard torque steer. Add more power/torque the pull is stronger. No abnormal tire wear. No brake pull or steering. wheel pulsation.  

I took it to another Ford Dealer, they had the Shop Foreman drive it (with me in the car), he confirmed it pulls to left on acceleration. Then we drove another Ford Edge Sport from his lot and it did not pull to left on acceleration, if anything it pulled to right on hard acceleration.  He is puzzled but said they are going to check it out and call Ford engineers to see what they think.  My follow up appointment is next Tuesday, Jan 15th....I'll keep you all posted. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, edsasdelli said:

I took it to another Ford Dealer, they had the Shop Foreman drive it (with me in the car), he confirmed it pulls to left on acceleration. Then we drove another Ford Edge Sport from his lot and it did not pull to left on acceleration, if anything it pulled to right on hard acceleration.  He is puzzled but said they are going to check it out and call Ford engineers to see what they think.  My follow up appointment is next Tuesday, Jan 15th....I'll keep you all posted. 

pull to the left would make the most sense since that is the shortest CV, last time i had an awd vehicle (mazdaspeed 6, aka the grandfather of your awd system) pull to the left like that the PTU was on its way out and not sending any power to the rear wheels.  Best of luck yo you.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here is the outcome of my visit to the second dealer.  They were very nice.  I explained the problem.  The Shop Foreman said they couldn't work on it unless he took a test ride and personally experienced it.  So we did that, his name was Larry (see pic below).  He confirmed it pulls to the left noticeably on acceleration and said they would look at it.  Their conclusion was we checked everything, there is nothing wrong with vehicle, we drove another Edge Sport and it did same thing so we think it is operating normally.  (see below).   So I guess I have to live with it?  Do your guys Edge's pull to the left on acceleration?  Is this really normal? 

Invoice clip1.JPG

Invoice clip2.JPG

• Like 1

What year Sport did you drive?  Also a 15, or an 18, or ...

If anything it should pull to the right, that is how these vehicles are designed, for U.S. roads anyway.    Pulling to the left on a wellpaved road under acceleration or not, is not normal in my book.  But if it is predictable in behavior, at least you know when to hang on to the wheel.  I would have had them align on their machine anyway (roadforce balance, even laser tracking if they have it), to see if their systems say any different.

I did not think of this, but since Gen 2 has electric assist steering (not hydraulic), it could be a software calibration issue.  I know you are not seeing the "weird steering wheel upside down" issue, but maybe have them update the SECM / SCCM and see?  Worth a shot.

Did you buy the Edge brand new?  Any notations in the Carfax history re accidents?

The absence of vibrations points away from the wheel/tire as possibility.