Carbon coking intake valves - direct injection

AC7880

I'm a newbie and still reading and researching.  I "almost" decided against the Edge  2.7 Ecoboost due to all the warnings about direct injection with forced induction causing issues with carbon buildup and coking of the intake valves.  Many articles and YouTube videos discuss it.

Digging deeper I learned what most of you probably already know.  Ford has added port injection in combination with direct injection.  This should keep the intake valves from developing carbon deposits as now the backs of the intake valves get "washed".  Top tier fuels and high end fuel injection cleaners can assist.

After I found this info: "2018 2.7 - A new exhaust-gas-recirculation system, the addition of a port and direct fuel-injection system" I am no longer concerned.  EGR changes are also at "least" a partial fix.  It is my understanding that EGR is more the cause of carbon buildup than the PCV valves (so catch cans may not be necessary)?

My choices were narrowed down to a Grand Cherokee limited model with 5.7 Hemi, and the Ford Edge ST.  I tow 4 wheels down behind a motorhome.  Both are towable and both have decent performance.  With the carbon fouling issue now resolved, the Edge is winning out over the Grand Cherokee. 

Are we sure the new ST is using the new generation 2.7L with the dual injection? I could never find anything that stated that, it still looks like the old 2.7L, and it may be that the 2nd gen 2.7L is wider with port injection and may not fit in the Edge. 

I love my Edge but I want you to know exactly what you're getting. 

• Like 1

Catch can might not be needed for moderate driving, but enthusiast driving, yes, certainly advisable.  A few installations have already been done and documented, so you do have a path to follow.

Somewhat more involved is setting up the engine for methanol injection, tho if using solely to keep the valves clean does not require a tune, simply plumbing/reservoir.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...