2018 - 2019 Edge Key Fob programming

Just thought I would share "my" version for programming an extra key fob on my 2019 Edge Titanium. Also works on the 2018. I have read through the owners manual several times, finding mistakes or just omissions, which really surprised me. Anyway just trying to help others, so here is my slightly revised method after several tries form the OM.

This works for 2018 – 2019 Ford Edge. Must have 2 programmed key fobs and 1 new unprogrammed key fob.

Get in the car, close the doors and begin this process – must complete within 30 seconds, after pressing push button ignition switch 1st time.

1. Remove the key blade from all key fob transmitters.

2. Open the center console lid. With the buttons facing upward and the unlock button facing the front of your vehicle, place the first intelligent access key fob into the backup slot at the bottom front of the console. The “slot” is like a little bed for the key fob. Keep the key fob all the way toward the front of car in the “bed.”

3. Press the push button ignition switch.

4. Wait 3 seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.

5. Remove the first intelligent access key fob.

6. Within 8 seconds, place a second programmed intelligent access key fob in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.

7. Wait 3 seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.

8. Remove the second intelligent access key fob.

9. Then place the unprogrammed intelligent access key fob in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch. You should hear the door locks activate; that's a good indication you are programmed.

Programming should now be complete. 

Edited by tk2fast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
51 minutes ago, Guest SAM52752 said:

What if you don’t have the second programmed fob. Can you use the first one twice

Of course not.  That defeats the purpose, which is to prevent someone unauthorized (a valet, a mechanic, a thief who has one key) from making a duplicate fob.   Only the owner would have two different fobs so that makes it reasonably sure that you're the owner or at least authorized to make a 3rd fob.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/27/2018 at 12:18 PM, tk2fast said:

9. Then place the unprogrammed intelligent access key fob in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch. You should hear the door locks activate; that's a good indication you are programmed.

Programming should now be complete. 

Something good to add is that when you press the start button with the new fob in place, the car will do absolutely nothing for a few seconds. Unlike the two previous button presses where it turns the dash on. This actually stumped me for a bit. This might be a good article to pin to this forum since the owners manual instructions are wrong.

• Like 1

• akirby pinned this topic