Climate: "Auto" button and (only) High Fan setting?

2015 Ford Edge Titanium

hello,

thank you very much for everyones help with my last issue...

another issue/ problem has come up. while using the Climate (via touch screen), when i touch the "Auto" button, the fan turns on high and continues to blow (never dropping). is this normal? is it possible to use "Auto" and have the fan at a lower setting?

thank you very much (in advance)

19 minutes ago, omar302 said:

The fan is supposed to run on a higher speed until the desired temperature is reached or it's close to it. What is the temperature you have it set to? And what's the outside temperature? 

That's how mine works, but I guess it would remain high if the temperature set point was unachievable.

• Like 3

In auto mode if the fan is too loud just adjust the temperature.  E.g. in summer if it’s 85 degrees and you have it set to 70 when you first start the vehicle the fan will be on high trying to cool it down.  If you bump the temp up to 80 the fans will slow down and after a few minutes you can lower the temp again.

• Like 2

I leave my fan on Auto but the controls set to floor and windshield.  In the winter, now, it blows on high until the car is warm enough  My temps are set to 72.  This can take quite a while to slow the fan down.  If I put it in full Auto mode it seems to sound like it is blowing more because it chooses the vents for you that it needs to get the whole car to temp.  So it pretty much blows out every vent in the vehicle and makes it louder, at least to me.  I personally am not a fan of the dash vents blowing on my face and that is why I select floor and windshield.  But in full auto it does sound louder than when just in auto fan with certain 'vents' selected. 

By taking a while to settle down I mean it takes 10-15 minutes to get the whole interior to the 72 mark I set it at.

Edited by jamie1073

4 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

I leave my fan on Auto but the controls set to floor and windshield.  In the winter, now, it blows on high until the car is warm enough  My temps are set to 72.  This can take quite a while to slow the fan down.  If I put it in full Auto mode it seems to sound like it is blowing more because it chooses the vents for you that it needs to get the whole car to temp.  So it pretty much blows out every vent in the vehicle and makes it louder, at least to me.  I personally am not a fan of the dash vents blowing on my face and that is why I select floor and windshield.  But in full auto it does sound louder than when just in auto fan with certain 'vents' selected. 

By taking a while to settle down I mean it takes 10-15 minutes to get the whole interior to the 72 mark I set it at.

thank you very much for every ones reply..

this morning it was cold, car temp said -25C in the garage, my phone said "real feel" was -40C.. the climate temp is set to 22C. after driving for a good 20+ min, pushing the "auto" button the fans once again kicked into high, pushing the "minus" temp button on the drivers side .5 of a degree at a time, it didnt take many reductions for the fan speed to start to drop, i want to say by 18C, the fan was quiet. which kinda stands to reason. 22C seems like a decent temp for the summer (wearing T-shirt and either shorts or trouser), but during the winter, here in southern Alberta while dressed for outside temps inside the car 18C seems comfortable.

is it possible to have two pre-set temps? or would i have manually change the pre-set temp twice a year?

how do i change the pre-set temp?

how do i set the fan to blow on the floor vents and the defrost?

once again, thank you for every ones help.

54 minutes ago, Pine Sol said:

this morning it was cold, car temp said -25C in the garage, my phone said "real feel" was -40C.. the climate temp is set to 22C. after driving for a good 20+ min, pushing the "auto" button the fans once again kicked into high, pushing the "minus" temp button on the drivers side .5 of a degree at a time, it didnt take many reductions for the fan speed to start to drop, i want to say by 18C, the fan was quiet. which kinda stands to reason. 22C seems like a decent temp for the summer (wearing T-shirt and either shorts or trouser), but during the winter, here in southern Alberta while dressed for outside temps inside the car 18C seems comfortable.

is it possible to have two pre-set temps? or would i have manually change the pre-set temp twice a year?

Mine stays at whatever Temp it was last set to when I start the car, even on a remote start. 

3 hours ago, Pine Sol said:

-25? time to put on a sweater! ?

i was under the impression that touching any button would turn off the Auto function.

the system would take quite a while to get the interior of the car up to 22, hence the fans going full tilt. the auto setting tells the HVAC system to do whatever it takes to get the interior to the desired temp. personally, i would probably set the temp, fan speed, and vents manually under those circumstances. i think that when the system is set on manual to 22 for example, the air blowing out of the vents is at 22. so you could probably set the temp to 26 (or higher?) and set the fan speed to 2. that way you'd get hotter air out of the vents but less flow.

all the controls are on the display on the climate tab/page. don't forget that you can talk to sync 3 to set the temp. i don't know if your 2015 has that though.

2 hours ago, ben senise said:

-25? time to put on a sweater! ?

i was under the impression that touching any button would turn off the Auto function.

the system would take quite a while to get the interior of the car up to 22, hence the fans going full tilt. the auto setting tells the HVAC system to do whatever it takes to get the interior to the desired temp. personally, i would probably set the temp, fan speed, and vents manually under those circumstances. i think that when the system is set on manual to 22 for example, the air blowing out of the vents is at 22. so you could probably set the temp to 26 (or higher?) and set the fan speed to 2. that way you'd get hotter air out of the vents but less flow.

all the controls are on the display on the climate tab/page. don't forget that you can talk to sync 3 to set the temp. i don't know if your 2015 has that though.

From my understanding the Auto function is two fold.  Once side does the vents and the other does the fan setting.  Both are used to keep the interior temp to the desired setting.  Someone said above that when in Auto that only the floor vents blow but mine blows out the windshield and the floor and lightly out of the dash vents.  Also out the rear console vents.  I know in the summer my Focus ST would blow out the dash vents primarily when in Auto mode, for vents.  I leave mine on just auto fan and I select the windshield and floor because the windshield defrosts better and stays defrosted in sub zero temps than in Auto mode which tends to allow the outer edges of the windshield to frost up.  IN the summer I go full auto when it is to hot for just the windows and that seems to blow out the dash and lightly out the windshield and floor vents. 

Either way it takes about 15 to 20 minutes of solid driving to get the fan to slow down to a normal level when set to 72 and roughly anything below freezing. 

2 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

From my understanding the Auto function is two fold.  Once side does the vents and the other does the fan setting.

auto mode regulates the vents, fan setting, and air temp. auto mode blows hotter air when the cabin temp is much lower than the set temp. as the cabin temp rises, the blown air is reduced to match the set temp.

manual mode does not do this. it just blows air at the set temp.

don't forget that another way to reduce fogging inside the car windows is to turn on the AC. You can run the AC at warm temperatures as well as cool. The AC removes moisture from the air and increases de-fogging efficiency.

3 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

From my understanding the Auto function is two fold.  Once side does the vents and the other does the fan setting.  Both are used to keep the interior temp to the desired setting.   

13 minutes ago, ben senise said:

manual mode does not do this. it just blows air at the set temp.

My experience is like what Jamie stated. In full auto mode, everything is automatically controlled to reach the desired temperature (obviously), while in auto, changing the vent flow or fan speed will make that setting fixed but the other part still in auto. For example, if the airflow was set to the dash vents, the fan speed will remain in auto, even though the auto button's light is turned off. And vice versa.

Also, when the fan speed & vent are set manually, the air temperature will still be "auto" controlled to maintain the set temp. For example, if set temp is 22C and the interior is warm, the air will come cold until 22C is reached then the air temp will warm up to maintain 22C in the interior.  

11 hours ago, omar302 said:

My experience is like what Jamie stated. In full auto mode, everything is automatically controlled to reach the desired temperature (obviously), while in auto, changing the vent flow or fan speed will make that setting fixed but the other part still in auto. For example, if the airflow was set to the dash vents, the fan speed will remain in auto, even though the auto button's light is turned off. And vice versa.

Also, when the fan speed & vent are set manually, the air temperature will still be "auto" controlled to maintain the set temp. For example, if set temp is 22C and the interior is warm, the air will come cold until 22C is reached then the air temp will warm up to maintain 22C in the interior.  

interesting. i wasn't under the impression that it worked like that. i'm going to have to check that out. thanks for the explanation.

6 hours ago, ben senise said:

interesting. i wasn't under the impression that it worked like that. i'm going to have to check that out. thanks for the explanation.

Yeah the temp number in degrees is the temp the air is set to achieve no matter what mode the fan or vent is in.  In auto fan mode but selected vents mine will blow at full blast until the set temp is almost achieved in the cabin.  Then it will slow the fan and keep heating/cooling until the temp is reached and then regulate the fan speed and temp of the air to keep the cabin at the set temp, opening and closing the blend door as needed.  If in auto vent mode but fan set at a set speed it will adjust the temp of the air flow and vents to reach the set temp.  If set to manual everything then it just adjusts the blend doors to keep the temp at its setting.  The only time this is not the case is in full defrost or full cool when it is set to HI and LO on the temps.  That is the way any car with the auto climate controls has worked for me at least.  It is supposed to of course keep the two sides at different temps when the are not the same but that is more with just adjusting the blend doors to get the temp right on the two sides.